MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By J.O.BEATS Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 pm
B-Wise wrote:
kb420ps wrote:I don't know about this. If what all the leaks are saying is true, you're only really gaining 2GB of ram by purchasing the new unit. If you have a current MPC X or Live 2, you would be better off using your computer in controller mode if you need more ram. Personally, I have 64GB of ram in my computer, so controller mode makes my MPC X a lot more powerful, not to mention that there is no 8 plugin limit in controller mode.

Until there is a more significant jump/improvement in the specs of a new MPC device, I don't see a legitimate reason to buy the new devices. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand GAS, and FOMO, but you really aren't gaining any tangible improvement besides the additional 2GB of ram.

Why do people keep basing the improvement of the MPC's as just a Ram upgrade, like do you really think that's all Akai plans on doing & just leave everything the the same for next whatever many years until the next new MPC's come out in maybe 2030?

What if some of the new OS features won't be possible with just 2GB of RAM & that these new features is what's gonna carry the new MPC into the future by giving advantages that we can't imagine currently. I could be wrong, but base on Akai history even under InMusic I think the new ones will be amazing considering that companies learn from the mistakes of the older devices (audio-interface & new OS bugs) & the current gen are the most advanced MPC's in many ways - tho, not so much in some ways like the step-sequencer, but overall if you take the current MPC's & make an OS that's 2x a powerful, that's still really insane when you really stop & think what improvements the engineers can make after using & learning from the old ones.

I say, if someone was shown by Akai/Andy what the new gen is about & they sold their current MPC X that's a good sign to sell now...because you know your gonna want to upgrade later anyway when the new OS drops & we really see what these MPC's is about. Even if it's just an RAM boost, at least you know you can do a lot more in standalone mode, which for some users is worth the upgrade. So, sell now while you can asks for a higher price.

I can almost guarantee there won’t be any difference besides upgraded ram and all the new instruments included (like the keys).

3.0 is still just an urban legend at this point. There are no indications it’s coming. The one legit leaked photo of the XL showed what looked exactly like the current OS

This is starting to sound like the Keys all over again. Remember all the debates about all the new features that were definitely going to come with it because why would Akai roll it out with the same OS and features as the live 2 and X?

And sight sold his X because he got a new one. Why would he keep 2 when he could have the XL and cash.
By Certified Beatz Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:22 pm
B-Wise wrote:
kb420ps wrote:Why do people keep basing the improvement of the MPC's as just a Ram upgrade, like do you really think that's all Akai plans on doing & just leave everything the the same for next whatever many years until the next new MPC's come out in maybe 2030?

What if some of the new OS features won't be possible with just 2GB of RAM & that these new features is what's gonna carry the new MPC into the future by giving advantages that we can't imagine currently. I could be wrong, but base on Akai history even under InMusic I think the new ones will be amazing considering that companies learn from the mistakes of the older devices (audio-interface & new OS bugs) & the current gen are the most advanced MPC's in many ways - tho, not so much in some ways like the step-sequencer, but overall if you take the current MPC's & make an OS that's 2x a powerful, that's still really insane when you really stop & think what improvements the engineers can make after using & learning from the old ones.

I say, if someone was shown by Akai/Andy what the new gen is about & they sold their current MPC X that's a good sign to sell now...because you know your gonna want to upgrade later anyway when the new OS drops & we really see what these MPC's is about. Even if it's just an RAM boost, at least you know you can do a lot more in standalone mode, which for some users is worth the upgrade. So, sell now while you can asks for a higher price.

If by any chance it was the same MPC with just the minor upgrades likes improve the performance of the audio card to have 16 stereo / 32 mono over usb in standalone. I would purchase it and still keep my X for my collection..
By Lampdog Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 am
Anything on MPC Keys61 OS (I said OS, not hardware), I can make on MPC X OS except for addressing 2gb+ shit.

If 3.0 comes with specific 4gb shit then that excludes all 2gb hardware. I don’t think it will.
By Monotremata Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:38 am
I don't see how RAM is going to affect anything at all. Do folks really know how it works or what RAM is used for? It's storage space to load data into so your CPU can pull it faster when it needs it as opposed to reading something from disk. RAM has no effect on CPU power at all, all it does is shuffle data in and out faster than doing it from disk. Some people act like an extra 2GB of ram is going to magically make it able to become an all powerful audio interface or make world peace happen. More RAM aint gonna do shit but let you load up their bloated sample based plugins.

Maxing out my old Windows 98 box or my G3 to 512MB did jack shit except allow me to open bigger/more files at once without swapping to disk. 16G vs 32GB in my Mac mini doesn't make a damn bit of difference. The functionality of random access memory hasn't changed in 50+ years. It still doesn't do anything more than act like pages in a book. And without a big bump to the front side bus, which means A NEW CPU AND MAIN BOARD, you're not even going to see any improvements in speed with 2 or 4GB of RAM.
By Certified Beatz Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:42 am
Monotremata wrote:I don't see how RAM is going to affect anything at all. Do folks really know how it works or what RAM is used for? It's storage space to load data into so your CPU can pull it faster when it needs it as opposed to reading something from disk. RAM has no effect on CPU power at all, all it does is shuffle data in and out faster than doing it from disk. Some people act like an extra 2GB of ram is going to magically make it able to become an all powerful audio interface or make world peace happen. More RAM aint gonna do shit but let you load up their bloated sample based plugins.

Maxing out my old Windows 98 box or my G3 to 512MB did jack shit except allow me to open bigger/more files at once without swapping to disk. 16G vs 32GB in my Mac mini doesn't make a damn bit of difference. The functionality of random access memory hasn't changed in 50+ years. It still doesn't do anything more than act like pages in a book. And without a big bump to the front side bus, which means A NEW CPU AND MAIN BOARD, you're not even going to see any improvements in speed with 2 or 4GB of RAM.

Well said and I believe that is why the 2gb bump in ram for faster loading of AIR plugins.. I'm sure there more to offer than just added ram and Ethernet port.. we will see...
By 8ty8 Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:55 am
Seriously, that post about RAM turning it into a supercomputer had me balling :lol:

Other posts from that guy are also equally as hilarious :lol:

I will say this about OS 3.0.... Denon recently released an OS 3.0 and it includes a TON of new features. Like literally, you can DJ over the air now, it's pretty freaking sweet.

However, that 3.0 update was rolled out to ALL of their existing (and older) products, such as my SC5000's (which *cough cough* came out in 2017, hello MPC X). I see absolutely no reason why Akai would also not follow the same path. Oh and the Denon update to 3.0 was completely FREE.

I'm only mentioning this because:
1. Denon is also an InMusic brand
2. Denon gear uses the exact same hardware/logic boards as our MPCs
3. I personally see lots of parallels between Denon and Akai, especially how much both are shaking up/leading their respective markets since coming under InMusic's umbrella

Also, if you want to get deeper into it, I believe you can figure out the progression from MPC X > XL by following the progression of Denon's flagships: SC5000 > SC6000.

Compared with the 5k, the SC6000 has a larger screen, the optional addition of an internal hard drive, a bigger jogwheel, and different colored buttons. Barring the larger screen and jogwheel, the internals remain the exact same between both devices, and I believe the same thing will be true for the XL, with the only difference being minute...

Based on this, coupled with the leaks we've seen to date, one could possibly(?) deduce the XL: A new faceplate/color scheme, a larger screen, the addition of an ethernet port for device networking, and maybe more RAM?...

Either way, MPC OS 3.0 should still be backwards compatible. We're talking about Akai here people... NOT apple.
By Blue Haze Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:32 am
8ty8 wrote:Seriously, that post about RAM turning it into a supercomputer had me balling :lol:

Other posts from that guy are also equally as hilarious :lol:

I will say this about OS 3.0.... Denon recently released an OS 3.0 and it includes a TON of new features. Like literally, you can DJ over the air now, it's pretty freaking sweet.

However, that 3.0 update was rolled out to ALL of their existing (and older) products, such as my SC5000's (which *cough cough* came out in 2017, hello MPC X). I see absolutely no reason why Akai would also not follow the same path. Oh and the Denon update to 3.0 was completely FREE.

I'm only mentioning this because:
1. Denon is also an InMusic brand
2. Denon gear uses the exact same hardware/logic boards as our MPCs
3. I personally see lots of parallels between Denon and Akai, especially how much both are shaking up/leading their respective markets since coming under InMusic's umbrella

Also, if you want to get deeper into it, I believe you can figure out the progression from MPC X > XL by following the progression of Denon's flagships: SC5000 > SC6000.

Compared with the 5k, the SC6000 has a larger screen, the optional addition of an internal hard drive, a bigger jogwheel, and different colored buttons. Barring the larger screen and jogwheel, the internals remain the exact same between both devices, and I believe the same thing will be true for the XL, with the only difference being minute...

Based on this, coupled with the leaks we've seen to date, one could possibly(?) deduce the XL: A new faceplate/color scheme, a larger screen, the addition of an ethernet port for device networking, and maybe more RAM?...

Either way, MPC OS 3.0 should still be backwards compatible. We're talking about Akai here people... NOT apple.

Co-sign and the MPC Live II, MPC one, and Keys followed the same path. All even my live OG uses the same software.
By Straker Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:56 pm
Come on guys, it's quite clear.
They will just put 4gb of Ram and all included plugins on new Mpc.
First an XL, later a Live+ and a One+.
I don't think the hardwares will be so different from the one we have now.
But with 4gb of Ram, Air will have the chance to make more complex plugins and fx.
By alexbuga Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:16 pm
I remember asking Geoff from Akai on insta if we’re ever gonna see the Force mixer UI on the Mpc’s. And he said soon. I guess we’ll see it in 3.0

Honestly I’m perfectly happy with the current MPC features. I’d love to see some UI/UX cohesiveness more than new features.

Like a proper mixer, faster workflow, etc.

I love the MPC workflow but don’t get me wrong, on Maschine I move way faster. Sometimes I got a beat so fast that I got bored and started another one :))

But anyway I guess we’ll have to wait and see
By B-Wise Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:04 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:I can almost guarantee there won’t be any difference besides upgraded ram and all the new instruments included (like the keys).

3.0 is still just an urban legend at this point. There are no indications it’s coming. The one legit leaked photo of the XL showed what looked exactly like the current OS

This is starting to sound like the Keys all over again. Remember all the debates about all the new features that were definitely going to come with it because why would Akai roll it out with the same OS and features as the live 2 and X?

And sight sold his X because he got a new one. Why would he keep 2 when he could have the XL and cash.

What are your basing your "almost guarantee" on? - I leaked old photo?

You would have be part of Akai development team or something to know what Akai is planing down the line - like do really think a music tech company which is a extremely competitive market would make a new product while it's current line devices has been selling really well (mainly talking about the ONE because of it's low new/used price) & just increase the RAM?

Just because we don't know much about OS3 doesn't mean it's not real, it could be Akai is better at not "leaking" that info. Just like most ppl didn't know about what new features would be on any of the current gen OS updates (besides the beta testers). So that's not a good agreement. I think the 61 keys is just waiting on the XL (the flagship) to drop to then be giving the new OS. Relasing the Key first even w/o the new OS still made $ense because, well, it's an MPC with keys! & all those early adopters will feel it they got a whole new device once that new OS drops - at least that my theory.

I can "almost guarantee", there will be differences besides upgraded RAM.
By B-Wise Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 pm
Monotremata wrote:I don't see how RAM is going to affect anything at all. Do folks really know how it works or what RAM is used for? It's storage space to load data into so your CPU can pull it faster when it needs it as opposed to reading something from disk. RAM has no effect on CPU power at all, all it does is shuffle data in and out faster than doing it from disk. Some people act like an extra 2GB of ram is going to magically make it able to become an all powerful audio interface or make world peace happen. More RAM aint gonna do shit but let you load up their bloated sample based plugins.

Isn't the OS stored on the RAM?, if so, wouldn't having more RAM allow for a more powerful OS?
This isn't my area, so I'm not trying to be a wise ass (as some else called me :mrgreen: ), but besides the RAM I was thinking that all the other parts like Main board would be upgraded as well so with all that combined my thinking is that there's no way that the new MPC's will just be same but with more RAM.
By J.O.BEATS Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:22 pm
B-Wise wrote:
J.O.BEATS wrote:I can almost guarantee there won’t be any difference besides upgraded ram and all the new instruments included (like the keys).

What are your basing your "almost guarantee" on? - I leaked old photo?

You would have be part of Akai development team or something to know what Akai is planing down the line - like do really think a music tech company which is a extremely competitive market would make a new product while it's current line devices has been selling really well (mainly talking about the ONE because of it's low new/used price) & just increase the RAM?

Just because we don't know much about OS3 doesn't mean it's not real, it could be Akai is better at not "leaking" that info. Just like most ppl didn't know about what new features would be on any of the current gen OS updates (besides the beta testers). So that's not a good agreement. I think the 61 keys is just waiting on the XL (the flagship) to drop to then be giving the new OS. Relasing the Key first even w/o the new OS still made $ense because, well, it's an MPC with keys! & all those early adopters will feel it they got a whole new device once that new OS drops - at least that my theory.

I can "almost guarantee", there will be differences besides upgraded RAM.

Common sense and the company’s track record form my opinion. When they dropped the live retro did they add anything different? Why can’t the XL just be that? It makes too much sense for it to have what the key has as far as all the plug ins since it’ll be the flagship. From a business model that and the upgraded ram is all they need to move new units.

There likely will be an OS update that goes with the release of the XL but it’ll be backward capable with all the other units and won’t be significantly different.

What difference are you expecting? Is it just 3.0 that you think will be in it? We’ve seen the unit and it’s just an X with a retro skin.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 pm
B-Wise wrote:

Isn't the OS stored on the RAM?, if so, wouldn't having more RAM allow for a more powerful OS?
This isn't my area, so I'm not trying to be a wise ass (as some else called me :mrgreen: ), but besides the RAM I was thinking that all the other parts like Main board would be upgraded as well so with all that combined my thinking is that there's no way that the new MPC's will just be same but with more RAM.

Afaik the current range use an old version of the soc the newer version in the keys is the same board with increased ram.

The is will be on the flash storage and using a portion of the ram for ops.
I did see the figures recently but can't recall the split.

Re post edits. You get a short window to edit before it's locked down.