MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:59 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Sir Snaxalot wrote:Stop being lazy and asking for tools to cut corners for you, sometimes you just need to get to the shed and PRACTICE where your weak points are. It benefits everybody, you and those who would potentially enjoy your music. People are allergic to work, I swear.

^^ Said every "traditional" musician when the MPC 60 arrived on the scene 35 years ago... :nod: :lol:

And the point? A MIDI Sequencer/Sampler is completely different from people letting AI write their shit for them..

You still have to put in work to get the 60 to do anything. Give somebody an MPC60/3000/X, it doesn't make any damn difference if they're still too lazy to learn how to use it. Those didnt write the tunes for you, you still had to have some basic composition skills to use it.
By EnochLight Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:12 pm
Monotremata wrote:And the point?

The "point" was a joke. :nod:

Monotremata wrote:A MIDI Sequencer/Sampler is completely different from people letting AI write their shit for them..

You still have to put in work to get the 60 to do anything. Give somebody an MPC60/3000/X, it doesn't make any damn difference if they're still too lazy to learn how to use it. Those didnt write the tunes for you, you still had to have some basic composition skills to use it.

Well clearly. But in all seriousness, I remember a time that "traditional" musicians - mostly rock bands back in the 70's and 80's - thought electronic bands like Depeche Mode, etc - weren't "real" musicians because their synths, sequencers, and samplers "did everything for them".

I don't think anyone is asking for their MPC to be a musical ChatGPT (I seriously thought kday was just joking about his AI post) - but generative players can be hugely inspiring, and I'm totally down from something like that on MPC.
By Avasopht Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:38 pm
We'll always find a reason to look down our noses at others.

So, I could jam with a bassist who plays bass better than I ever could, or do it with an AI bassist who also takes instruction from me (so I'm putting in more input than when I'm in a band) ... ... ... but somehow that's less skillful??
By Sir Snaxalot Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:54 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Sir Snaxalot wrote:Stop being lazy and asking for tools to cut corners for you, sometimes you just need to get to the shed and PRACTICE where your weak points are. It benefits everybody, you and those who would potentially enjoy your music. People are allergic to work, I swear.

^^ Said every "traditional" musician when the MPC 60 arrived on the scene 35 years ago... :nod: :lol:

And they're still not wrong.
By Sir Snaxalot Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:56 pm
Avasopht wrote:We'll always find a reason to look down our noses at others.

So, I could jam with a bassist who plays bass better than I ever could, or do it with an AI bassist who also takes instruction from me (so I'm putting in more input than when I'm in a band) ... ... ... but somehow that's less skillful??

Yes, it makes you less skilled at being a mediocre bassist but skilled at I guess, data entry.

There's a matter of "looking down" and then there's a matter of setting a standard. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Fact: humans don't grow without some perceived struggle or resistance, thats the way of nature and life. You all keep wanting to be at war with your very nature as a human being. This is why A.I will replace most people at their craft. Your tools grow while you remain stagnant because you're so hellbent on outsourcing your cognitive potential to external devices. Humans have always done that, but to what degree is what must constantly be measured.
By SuperKonquer Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:44 pm
Standard? Cmon. How many MPCist are skilled bassists or skilled instrumental anything? In the end, the listener only cares if the music sounds good. Sure there are hoity-toity types that care just as much about the struggle behind the art as the art itself but very very very very very few humans exist in that class.
By kday Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:29 am
Sir Snaxalot wrote:No wonder modern music sucks. Stop being lazy and asking for tools to cut corners for you, sometimes you just need to get to the shed and PRACTICE where your weak points are. It benefits everybody, you and those who would potentially enjoy your music. People are allergic to work, I swear.

That was a stupid response.

Much of the the black and urban music artist, and even white Pop music artist uses loops from other records today to make their biggest hits, and even from the beginning of hip hop until today's Pop music. Live music works when you are a funky R&B producer. For hip hop, they desperately need the machine and samples and loops to regain that old school 80s-90s and 2000s quality. Hip hop was born on people in your words too "lazy" to come up with something original to make a rap record. So they copied somebody else and modern rap was born. And the greatest hip hop still thrives on using loops of other people's materials. As for other genres many of their biggest hits are from machines and samples out of their laziness I guess. Sampling out of laziness brings back the funkiness in today's music that was has lost. Live playing is dead and what made hip hop the boring failure it is today with soft R&B lines or a simple played beat and a live played boring keyboard part.

Even great artist like Jimi Hendrix's biggest songs were from him being lazy (All Along the Watch Tower), a copy of somebody else, etc,etc Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones, Beatles, all some of their biggest hits from being lazy and just settling for somebody's else ideas. Your anger and mental frustration is all in your head, and not at the recording artist.

Every well known artist with big mega selling highly acclaimed albums used samples and loops or ideas from somebody else or a machine somewhere that inspired greatness. Music may suck today because artist like you may be wack from the start, with or without an instrument, or loop. All today's music sucks, because most of it is original, and they have no funk, no soul, as in yesteryear. In hip hop all the new artist are making original music with no funky samples now, and it all sucks now. Drake, suck, Lil Baby suck, NBA Young Boy, Savage21, Future, etc they all suck and most of their music seems to be original with no funky samples. Being lazy again is what the industry needs to find and sample funky records that will never be equaled. Then we'll revive that funkiness lost from the 90s music. 1960-80s original funkiness is dead and gone because of rap. And unless rap die, urban funkiness will never ever return, because those funky musician no longer have soul and funk artist anymore. They all migrated to dead original hip hop that play a wack beat and a simple keyboard part. That's what every likes now wack beats and music from Drake and the ATL artist that don't use loops and AI to make something funky.

We need hip hop to go back to the days of sampling records and loops from old school funk. Because original funk music genre died from old age. So the only funk life line left is the 80s-2000s style of hip hop where they sampled mostly. Force them to get back to laziness and sample the funk! We need AI too! Akai if you're listening bring us some AI to save the funk! To help them inspire funky rhythms for those that can't create it themselves. If I want to be lazy I'll just be like a Dr Dre, or DJ Premier, or Marly Marl, or Eric B, or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and all the other producers that sampled all their songs to create mega hit albums and loops to make mega hit albums. I'm striving right now to be lazy like them, because that where the money's at, and the funky loops and sounds are at. I'm digging through crates right, I'm lazy, like Africa Bambatta said, I'm searching for the perfect beat.

All that other b.s. issuing out of your mouth out of stupidity is just that. b.s. Anybody can use any tool they want to be funky, it doesn't matter if it's played live or coming a from a sampled record or machine. You still gonna buy it. And if you are wack, nothing is gonna help you. You're just haters of technology and crying like little women about the progress of technology. Much of the new music today is mostly original on the radio, and much of sucks. Because they don't sample to make funkier rhythms in today's music, all we have is original garbage being played on the radio. Average musicians making average to less than average original mediocre music. And that original average music and beats have trashed the funkiness of urban music forever that the MPC helped to build from artist using samples out of laziness. I'm sticking with all the greats that were lazy though, we would've never got a Jay Z, Kanye, Rakim, Run DMC, Nas, etc, etc, without producers being lazy to rather sample and use machines over playing live. Rap would be dead if all producers had to play original music. We wouldn't have gotten some of the world biggest hits from much of the R&B artist also, if it wasn't from sampling out of laziness as you all call it. I mean just crying for nothing, just shut up, let the artist do what they do regardless of how they do it. It doesn't matter if it's AI, a loop or machine, we need funky rhythms because that's lacking in today's music with people using a simple played drum beat and a simple played live boring non funky keyboard line.
Last edited by kday on Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sir Snaxalot Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:44 am
kday wrote:
Sir Snaxalot wrote:No wonder modern music sucks. Stop being lazy and asking for tools to cut corners for you, sometimes you just need to get to the shed and PRACTICE where your weak points are. It benefits everybody, you and those who would potentially enjoy your music. People are allergic to work, I swear.

That was a stupid response.

All black and urban music, and even white Pop music uses loops from other records and even from the beginning of hip hop until today's Pop music now. Hip hop was born on people in your words too "lazy" to come up with something original. And hip hop still thrives on using loops of other people's materials.

Jimi Hendrix biggest songs were from him being lazy (All Along the Watch Tower), etc,etc
Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones, Beatles, all some of their biggest hits from being lazy and just settling for somebody's else ideas. Your anger and frustration is in your head, and not at the recording artist.

Every well known artist with the biggest mega selling highly acclaimed albums used samples and loops or ideas from somebody else. Music may suck today because artist like you may be wack from the start, with or without an instrument, or loop. All today's music sucks, because most of it is original, and they have no funk, no soul, as in yesteryear. In hip hop all the new artist are making original music with no funky samples now, and it all sucks now. Drake, suck, Lil Baby suck, NBA Young Boy, Savage21, Future, etc they all suck and most of their music seems to be original with no funky samples. Being lazy again is what the industry needs to find and sample funky records that will never be equaled. Then we'll revive that funkiness lost from the 90s music. 1960-80s original funkiness is dead and gone because of rap. And unless rap die, urban funkiness will never ever return, because those funky musician no longer have soul and funk artist anymore. They all migrated to dead original hip hop that play a wack beat and a simple keyboard part. That's what every likes now wack beats and music from Drake and the ATL artist that don't use loops and AI to make something funky.

We need hip hop to go back to the days of sampling records and loops from old school funk. Because original funk music genre died from old age. So the only funk life line left is the 80s-2000s style of hip hop where they sampled mostly. Force them to get back to laziness and sample the funk! We need AI too! Akai if you're listening bring us some AI to save the funk! To help them inspire funky rhythms for those that can't create it themselves. If I want to be lazy I'll just be like a Dr Dre, or DJ Premier, or Marly Marl, or Eric B, or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and all the other producers that sampled all their songs to create mega hit albums and loops to make mega hit albums. I'm striving right now to be lazy like them, because that where the money's at, and the funky loops and sounds are at. I'm digging through crates right, I'm lazy, like Africa Bambatta said, I'm searching for the perfect beat.

All that other b.s. issuing out of your mouth out of stupidity is just that. b.s. Anybody can use any tool they want to be funky, it doesn't matter if it's played live or coming a from a sampled record or machine. You still gonna buy it. And if you are wack, nothing is gonna help you. You're just haters of technology and crying like little women about the progress of technology. Much of the new music today is mostly original on the radio, and much of sucks. Because they don't sample to make funkier rhythms in today's music, all we have is original garbage being played on the radio. Average musicians making average to less than average original mediocre music. And that original average music and beats have trashed the funkiness of urban music forever that the MPC helped to build from artist using samples out of laziness. I'm sticking with all the greats that were lazy though, we would've never got a Jay Z, Kanye, Rakim, Run DMC, Nas, etc, etc, without producers being lazy to rather sample and use machines over playing live. Rap would be dead if all producers had to play original music. We wouldn't have gotten some of the world biggest hits from much of the R&B artist also, if it wasn't from sampling out of laziness as you all call it. I mean just crying for nothing, just shut up, let the artist do what they do regardless of how they do it. It doesn't matter if it's AI, a loop or machine, we need funky rhythms because that's lacking in today's music with people using a drum machine and a simple boring non funky keyboard line.

You typed all of that to say so little...
By Monotremata Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:47 am
Pretty sure the decline in sampling other peoples records came from Biz Markie getting his ass handed to him in court back in 1991.. There will never be another Paul's Boutique or Three Feet High And Rising because the artists wouldn't be able to afford to eat after paying everybody else for licensing.

The reason all those records got made in the 80s/early 90s is because no one was paying attention to them until rap really hit the mainstream in the late 80s. At that point people like James Brown starting putting together teams of lawyers to do nothing but sit and look for Funky Drummer and Cold Sweat being used in records and start sending invoices to the artists. Hell I think Prince's family might still have his on hand pulling all his bootleg stuff the minute it hits the internet.
By kday Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:30 am
Sir Snaxalot wrote:
You typed all of that to say so little...

I was saying in that statement that it was a stupid response, and it's all in your own head and in your own your mental frustration directed at artist making a bunch of live made original garbage music is mistakenly misdirected at those who make funky music regardless of the technology or AI, and it shouldn't be directed at new technology that can help to inspire, and revive a dead music genre and creative process in popular music today in all genres of music. The current music state is just the artist knowing nothing about music playing and request beats from producers that have no soul or funk in their bones. People both rich and poor who don't know what great music is or was music from the start because they don't listen to old funk and soul music to saturate their bones to demand better. They don't raise their standards to demand better music like some other original artist do that becomes great. Some artist today rather pay a producer a few dollars to make a simple beat and settle, rather than paying a bunch of artist to make really great music. And the people accept it. If the people wouldn't accept garbage, then garbage wouldn't dominate the airwaves. Don't blame the company for making an MPC and a keyboard, blame the people who have no soul, or the consumers who digest the music of today and buy it in droves that inspires that next wack artist.

So the whole statement was saying your anger is off base and misdirected, thinking that the technology you obviously love and uses assuming you have one of the MPCs is oxymoronic.
By Avasopht Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:48 am
Sir Snaxalot wrote:
Avasopht wrote:We'll always find a reason to look down our noses at others.

Yes, it makes you less skilled at being a mediocre bassist but skilled at I guess, data entry.

There's a matter of "looking down" and then there's a matter of setting a standard. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Fact: humans don't grow without some perceived struggle or resistance, thats the way of nature and life. You all keep wanting to be at war with your very nature as a human being. This is why A.I will replace most people at their craft. Your tools grow while you remain stagnant because you're so hellbent on outsourcing your cognitive potential to external devices. Humans have always done that, but to what degree is what must constantly be measured.

I'm classically trained.

I started out playing the keyboard, learning by ear. Then got guitar lessons at 11 and flute lessons at 12 (also self-taught myself some violin at 11 with a little assistance from the music teacher).

Just so there's no confusion.

Jimi Hendrix probably didn't play the drums in his studio recordings.

Likewise, today Jimi Hendrix might have found a way to create music by himself, but instead of relying on a band to back his playing, he could make use of a DAW to play the parts he would usually have played by a band.

And an AI band (or bassist, or drummer) requires no less skill (probably a bit more) than recording alongside a skilled bassist (as most skilled musicians do) instead of recording EVERYTHING that the band does yourself.

As I said, some people will find reasons to look down their noses at others.

You just did this, which is ironic because you failed to properly comprehend what I had written and went off on a tangent in a self-conceited fit of egotism.

But you were terribly mistaken and have now shown yourself to be a bit of a <<imagine-a-clown-emoji>>.

It's pretty clear you are just here to try to dunk on others to fill some silly childish void within yourself.
By Avasopht Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:54 am
Sir Snaxalot wrote:You typed all of that to say so little...

I don't think you realize how you come across to others.
By EnochLight Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:56 pm
Sir Snaxalot wrote:And they're still not wrong.

And yet, they were and are still wrong while an entirely new genre of music was created that still inspires today. Go figure! :nod: