MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By johnnytravels Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:59 am
jpeg wrote:now that the honeymoon phase of having something new has passed; i can say that this plugin, like all the akai plugins suffers from the same issue of poor presets.

all of the synths have that overly clean vst flat tone; I think the odessey has the most unique tonal quality but i still i struggle to find useable presets in all of these synths, as most of the time am using with samples and the flat clean sound does not always sit well with samples, so seems like everything needs saturation and bit crunching to dirty up before using.

I agree that the Air presets are miles behind what NI regularly offers and I agree that they absolutely do not blend well with samples. Even the Mellotron sounds way to plasticky and they always have all their internal reverb and delays on. I think these plugins are mostly meant to appeal to people who got their MPCs after watching Ave McCree and Gabe Miller on YouTube and are ready to play chord mode over generic trap drums..

Personally I am currently only using two of the presets on Baseline and always filter/bitcrush them and duck/compress them.
I am looking forward to giving Model D a spin when it inevitably goes on sale, but as far as other synth plugins go, I am more than happy to keep them off my unit so as to not get lost in the presets and inevitably be disappointed by them…
By Straker Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:25 pm
Finally I got my Opx4! 29€!
This time the plugin authorization process was smooth and fine, bought it, connected mpc on wifi, authorised and downloaded in 5 minutes.
29€ should be the price of these plugins, it's the right amount.
And Opx4 is such a beauty.
Does anyone have a manual or at least some parameter guide of Opx4?
By Straker Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:30 pm
jpeg wrote:now that the honeymoon phase of having something new has passed; i can say that this plugin, like all the akai plugins suffers from the same issue of poor presets.

all of the synths have that overly clean vst flat tone; I think the odessey has the most unique tonal quality but i still i struggle to find useable presets in all of these synths, as most of the time am using with samples and the flat clean sound does not always sit well with samples, so seems like everything needs saturation and bit crunching to dirty up before using.

On Opx4 start from INIT and make your own presets.
Much better then Air built-in presets, which are too loud and plastic sounding as ever.
I always try to avoid presets and make my own, much more fun and personal sound.
And Opx4 has many possibilitiies if you start from INIT. Check it.
By jpeg Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:41 pm
Straker wrote:

On Opx4 start from INIT and make your own presets.
Much better then Air built-in presets, which are too loud and plastic sounding as ever.
I always try to avoid presets and make my own, much more fun and personal sound.
And Opx4 has many possibilitiies if you start from INIT. Check it.

i prefer using presets most of the time; and just editing those for the most part, yes making presets is fun but alot of the time its good to have some ready made sounds that can be added into the mix quickly
By Straker Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm
@jpeg

So first thing to do with air presets is to switch off fx immediately. There are always tons of delays and reverbs. And tweak the modulation matrix, the magic is there.
By Lampdog Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:26 pm
Straker wrote:So first thing to do with air presets is to switch off fx immediately. There are always tons of delays and reverbs. And tweak the modulation matrix, the magic is there.

x1000
By jpeg Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 pm
Straker wrote:@jpeg

So first thing to do with air presets is to switch off fx immediately. There are always tons of delays and reverbs. And tweak the modulation matrix, the magic is there.

good shout will have a play
By e-smile-z Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:08 am
Woow, really enjoying opx4. I was turned off when they released, because just another 4 operator FM synth which now days nearly every daw has FM synth today.
It s cool that they have a mini romper to put on top of the sound like the old Sy 99 from Yamaha.

A randomizer would be cool :smoker:

One of my favorite FM synth is Algorithm because it's so easy to create patches. It really makes FM synthesis accessible
By jpeg Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:20 pm
e-smile-z wrote:Woow, really enjoying opx4. I was turned off when they released, because just another 4 operator FM synth which now days nearly every daw has FM synth today.
It s cool that they have a mini romper to put on top of the sound like the old Sy 99 from Yamaha.

A randomizer would be cool :smoker:

One of my favorite FM synth is Algorithm because it's so easy to create patches. It really makes FM synthesis accessible

which mini rompler r u referring to
By jpeg Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:32 pm
bitermc wrote:
jpeg wrote:which mini rompler r u referring to

I think he means the Sample Layer tab, which contains a few sampled waveforms.

will check this out but gotta say the interface is pretty ugly when editing; it could do with a touch up

but by far odysee is the best most useful synth along with fabric; these other synths seem more ambient; electronic music leaning, from a out the box perspective.

but fabric and odysee seem easier to match with samples; will check mini d when it comes on sale; and am expecting good things from the juno upcoming.

maybe instead of opx they should of made a dx7 clone; with some slick graphics and some popular presets of those classic 80s patches

but even turning off the fx on these plugins from akai i still dont think they are the greatest; i consistently struggle to use those plugins in beats, but I think once akai start getting some different sound designers for they patches or some 3rd party patches are released, and it seems with mini d, juno and the odysee they are going in the right direction.

but ultimately they need to go ahead and put xpand2 so we can have those breat and butter workstation sounds conveninently to hand.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:40 pm
e-smile-z wrote:A randomizer would be cool :smoker:

No need.
You can create your own randomizations if you manipulate some mod pages in OPx4.
The building blocks/tools are there.
It’s not a one button deal.
By kazakore Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:03 am
I got this email on the Thursday (only just bought and registered my new MPC) and slept on it overnight, decided I would buy it but when I woke up Friday morning the offer had gone and it was back to full price. Oh well, wait for next time the offer comes around I guess....