MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JEBariffic Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:30 pm
Salivations!

I'm trying to midi record an Alesis Strike Multipad on my MPC Live II and the midi recording is failing to record all the notes. Using the MPC midi monitor, I can see a note on message when the pad is struck as expected, but the note off message often takes 1/2 second or more to transmit.

It appears the MPC is recoding a note duration matching the on/off messages with the delayed off message making the MPC record a duration longer than desired. Any subsequent note on messages are ignored until an off message is delivered for any previous note.

So for example, if I play a beat of 16th notes on one pad @ 120 BPM, I might see in the midi monitor:
1. Note on
2. Note on
3. Note off
4. Note off
5. Note on
6. Note off
7. Note on
8. Note off

The #2 message is a note on coming in BEFORE the note off message for #1. This results in an 1/8th note then two 1/6ths being recorded. I can see that result in the piano roll clearly.

At least this is what I think is happening. This is only an issue when playing rapidly on one pad of course. If I play one 16th on the HH pad, then the next on the tom pad both will record and playback, but the HH may still record as an 1/8th or longer.

I've tried what I think to be applicable settings in the MPC preferences, midi /sync section, and dialed trigger time back to 0 in Alesis (designed to avoid cross talk on the pads) to no avail. I'm not syncing clocks, tried both sets of MIDI jacks on the MPC and tried USB connections as well. I've no such issues with the 5 different synths I midi record on the MPC.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!!! If this is an issue with the Alesis, I'm wondering if it would also be an issue with another drum pad set like the Roland SPD-SX Pro? Not sure there is any way to know.

Happy to post more details if you can guide me along. Thank you very much!