MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kazakore Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:20 am
Not sure this is possible, or really the best way to describe it...

I have some stomp boxes with MIDI Sync input. Although the run fine initially when Play Start is hit on the MPC they do not keep synced to pattern on changing preset effect. This means everysooften I've got to try and hit Play Start on the MPC to force the units back into positional sync. I don't suppose there's a way to tell the MPC to send a Pattern Start/Play From Start message every time the Sequence repeats, so it would regularly push them back into time without me having to do it myself??
By Patientrichard Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:24 pm
I've been having a similar issues due to using other gear with my mpc live mk2, so the same principal applies albeit that my case scenario is with other instruments instead of pedals.

Effectively, each of my instruments holds their own tracks, and I'll mix into one another. This works well and midi is tight enough to play a fluid set, however I do have to hit play on each device in time (like I'm djing) to get the next track ready to bring in.

I realised my life would be easier and there would be less stress on stage, if I had something that would continually send 'start' data out and at the end of the bar the next machine would just sync up.

I have ordered the Midronome, as it can do exactly this, and I believe you can set it to sync at a specific bar (so after X bar, it will send the message again so everything connected will be in sync after that bar)

I believe the erm can do this as well, but that's quite expensive.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it's a workable solution.
By kazakore Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:28 pm
Patientrichard wrote:I've been having a similar issues due to using other gear with my mpc live mk2, so the same principal applies albeit that my case scenario is with other instruments instead of pedals.

Effectively, each of my instruments holds their own tracks, and I'll mix into one another. This works well and midi is tight enough to play a fluid set, however I do have to hit play on each device in time (like I'm djing) to get the next track ready to bring in.

I realised my life would be easier and there would be less stress on stage, if I had something that would continually send 'start' data out and at the end of the bar the next machine would just sync up.

I have ordered the Midronome, as it can do exactly this, and I believe you can set it to sync at a specific bar (so after X bar, it will send the message again so everything connected will be in sync after that bar)

I believe the erm can do this as well, but that's quite expensive.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it's a workable solution.

Why not have everything start the moment you hit Play Start on the MPC? I also use some external synth modules and have no issue with them as they don't lose play position no matter what I do to them. Maybe Program Change events might cause some gear to lose sync?? It's only because my effects unit loses the positional timing on changing preset I'm having this issue (and I've sent a feature request to the manufacturer for a firmware update to fix this but I won't hold my breath, although this is where it should really be fixed.)
By Patientrichard Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:28 pm
I think you're misunderstanding.

Everything plays in sync when I first hit play. That's standard midi behaviour-clock and transport is sent out via the master device.

When I'm changing to a new track on say the syntakt, I still have to hit play to get it to play in sync with everything else. Understand? It's like when you're lining up tracks to play when djing. You have to get it on the one, or it won't be in sync.

So when I want to play on the octatrack mk2, or the syntakt, or the mpc live mk2, or the tr8s, or the whatever, I'm still going to have to hit play each time I load up one of the tracks I've made on that particular device, device to get it to sync with whatever is being used as the master (usually the second octatrack we have in the set up).

PC can add lag when changing devices, however I don't use pc in this set up as there's a lot of improvisation involved and pc forces a more linear approach.

Just trying to help you out here......
By kazakore Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:01 pm
I guess it's just I leave them always running in sync and mix output levels, switching tracks and patterns shouldn't cause them to lose sync and thus shouldn't be needing to be retriggered. Seems you've rather gone for manual triggering of your parts, which sure can bring some complexity (you don't always have to trigger on the down beat) but obviously has the complications you've been experiencing.
By kazakore Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:05 pm
Ahh I see. Sorry you're not managing to get one set worth of each loaded in memory and actually loading on modules mid set, thus the need to retrigger them. Now I see your issue and why this would help you too.

(Don't seem to be able to edit here, I assume the gear cog should do it but not functioning on my browser.)