MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MGoolas Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:09 am
I will try to give air reverb a second chance. So far as some of the comments under the video say, it has the absolute worst sounding presets that have ever created for a reverberation vst. I still believe that the vanilla akai reverb sounds a bit better and nothing sounds as good as the effects from my Esi Turbo unit.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:23 pm
I see it as I did the eb-16 in 2kxl, efx card in 4k. Not an end all, be all, fx solution, something to get you started. Not the highest quality, STILL does a very decent job when you take time to dial in somethings.

Tweak it yourself.
By 40Beatz Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:25 pm
My experience with Air Reverb is....When it was 1st released for the MPC, it had a Default Setting that had the Mix Percentage around 25% AND the Ratio Setting...Set to Dead Center (100:100). So when you auditioned it with a Sample, It sounded very good while in its default state.

Since 2.7 or something...Its Default Mix Setting is at 100% !!!! and the Default Ratio setting is Panned Hard Left. Now...to us Normal Beatmakers and Producers, thats no problem to bring everything Dead Center and Turn down the Wetness thats at 100%, down to 20-30% to Audition the Reverb on any given sample.
BUT.........to the Untrained Ear and guys who are use to One Button Effects, AIR Reverb Sounds like TRASH with those Altered Air Reverb Default Settings.

My Suggestion for AIR Reverb....Set the Mix Setting below 30-40%, while testing the Reverb. Not to mention the Ratio Setting as well
By B-Wise Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 pm
40Beatz wrote:My experience with Air Reverb is....When it was 1st released for the MPC, it had a Default Setting that had the Mix Percentage around 25% AND the Ratio Setting...Set to Dead Center (100:100). So when you auditioned it with a Sample, It sounded very good while in its default state.

Since 2.7 or something...Its Default Mix Setting is at 100% !!!! and the Default Ratio setting is Panned Hard Left. Now...to us Normal Beatmakers and Producers, thats no problem to bring everything Dead Center and Turn down the Wetness thats at 100%, down to 20-30% to Audition the Reverb on any given sample.
BUT.........to the Untrained Ear and guys who are use to One Button Effects, AIR Reverb Sounds like TRASH with those Altered Air Reverb Default Settings.

My Suggestion for AIR Reverb....Set the Mix Setting below 30-40%, while testing the Reverb. Not to mention the Ratio Setting as well

This is on point. You have to know how to use what you got. Too bad Akai don't do a better job at breaking things down & how to get the best out of the features they provide. That's why I like power users like Joe & I also see that under your username it says "Valued Member" & I would agree. Thanks! :worthy:
By Lampdog Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:20 am
How to get the best of every feature is a personal thing, an individual thing.
A manufacturer's manual wont cater to personal methods. It’s purpose is to detail the functions/features (even though some manuals fail hard as flowers at that too).
By B-Wise Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:54 am
Lampdog wrote:How to get the best of every feature is a personal thing, an individual thing.
A manufacturer's manual wont cater to personal methods. It’s purpose is to detail the functions/features (even though some manuals fail hard as flowers at that too).

Where did I say anything about the manual? You do know Akai has a YouTube channel? - It could be a whole lot better with someone with Joe's way of teaching. Also, even though the manual can't cater to personal needs it could give some real life example in breaking down some of its features or tip & tricks like Mackie Mixer manuals. Nothing too deep but then way not If something like MPC-Bible exist & is loved by the buyers? Why can't Akai hire MPC Tutor & make it official?
By hyena Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 am
40Beatz wrote:My experience with Air Reverb is....When it was 1st released for the MPC, it had a Default Setting that had the Mix Percentage around 25% AND the Ratio Setting...Set to Dead Center (100:100). So when you auditioned it with a Sample, It sounded very good while in its default state.

100% wet makes a lot of sense if you put the reverb on a return track and use the aux sends, which is usually the best choice but new generations of producers tend to not know about using aux sends and returns and putting one reverb per sound\pad\track\instrument, which is usually detrimental to the mix in general...
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:36 am
In Ableton's default template session, there's a reverb return channel that's set to 100% wet, which makes sense for a send effect reverb. But when you insert a new instance of the same reverb plugin in another channel, it's something like 30% wet by default, which makes sense for an insert effect reverb. Sensible defaults CAN be done. I can't think of any particular reason why it would be good to have something sound like crap by default. Maybe for a synth, it can be nice to start from a minimal initial configuration with just one oscillator etc.
By hyena Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:12 pm
yah, it might be a good idea to have sensible defaults, 100% wet on return tracks, 30% wet anywhere else. that said, i don't think this to be a serious issue. i'll always tweak my effects based on the context where i put em so... let's say that DAWs and virtual devices have spoiled us a bit,no?
By B-Wise Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:23 pm
Certified Beatz wrote:B-WISE check now I can edit again..

I can on my phone but not on my PC. I also can't logout from my PC only my phone as well. Where do I go this type of problem here. I sent Tutor a message days ago, but no reply back yet.