MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By SirAdrianFish Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 am
I am looking for a possibility to send sequenced Synth- & Drumtracks (midi mulitchaneln control signals) of a song created in a Synthstrom Deluge to a MPC One, so I can use the MPC PlugIns and finaly mix and master the project in the MPC One.

Does anybody know, if this is possible? Seaching the internet, I found a number of how-to-videos with a workflow in the opposite direction (MPC -> Synthstrom Deluge).

So far my attempts have failed to get the described setup working. There is an optical signal arriving in the MPC One sent via Synthstrom Deluge, but so far I have not been able to create an accompanying audible signal.

Any ideas or thoughts on this theme are welcome.
By SirAdrianFish Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:28 pm
SirAdrianFish wrote:Does anybody know, if this is possible?

The short answer ist NO, it does not work between a Systhrom Deluge (Firmware V4.1.3 for OLED) an an AKAI MPC One (Firmware 2.11.8).
By hyena Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:08 pm
why not?
you can setup every single track on the mpc to receive midi data from specific ports and specific channels, so at least the midi note information surely work. regarding midi cc's i havent messed too much with them, but in theory it will work, you go to midi control and do some midi learn of various parameters of the mpc plugins to your incoming cc's and it should work.

when you are in the main page, on the left above the level meter of the channel you have different icons, select the TRACK icon and expand the view of the meter\inspector, you'll have control of midi port and channel. set up all your tracks, then enable in the preferences , in the sequencer page, REC ARM to Multi, then arm all the tracks you want to record midi into.
in alternative, you can leave REC ARM to single and then shift click on the arm button of different tracks to arm them simultaneously.
if you quickly double tap the MAIN button you'll reach the overall TRACKS page where you can check the ARM status of all your tracks, midi and audio.

then you'll have to go to midi control--->learn and assign your cc's
By SirAdrianFish Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:39 pm
hyena wrote:i see from the pics you posted on the other forum you have set all tracks to receive from All Ports, try changing that specifying the port for the deluge. i don't think that is the issue, but worth a try.

I tryed once again, but it does not make any difference, but thank you.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:54 pm
Not sure why your having so much trouble with this. The deluge is a capable sequencer. If it can send midi to multiple synths then it can send it to the mpc

Set relevant input channels on the mpc tracks and arm all the tracks sequencer length etc and record the lot over. (Assuming the deluge can't export midi?)

If you still want to use deluge as a module send the midi back from the mpc tracks via a midi track.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:36 pm
jamos wrote:Make sure you have set the midi monitor mode to "In" for each track. This detail tends to be glossed over in most discussions.

In monitors incoming midi
Merge blends incoming with mpc sequenced midi
I run a sequencer >mpc>synths
Other than akais bizarre choice to block all midi when tracks are muted (post 2.8,) it behaves perfectly.
Arming multiple tracks allows me to record all midi tracks from my sequencer to mpc in one pass.
By jamos Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:04 pm
eLuSiVeMiTe wrote:In monitors incoming midi

Yup.

For the OP's application, however, all he wants is "in".

It's sad that Akai makes this so confusing, through poor design and documentation. This is why people come on and say with great authority, "nope, can't do it" for things that are clearly possible.
By SirAdrianFish Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm
jamos wrote:Make sure you have set the midi monitor mode to "In" for each track. This detail tends to be glossed over in most discussions.

eLuSiVeMiTe wrote:In monitors incoming midi

jamos wrote:
For the OP's application, however, all he wants is "in".

I have been through all the monitor settings more than once - it does not make any difference.

And I don't think the problem lies within the MPC One
By eLuSiVeMiTe Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:21 pm
SirAdrianFish wrote:
I have been through all the monitor settings more than once - it does not make any difference.

Have you set the deluge up to send midi to the correct channels over the correct cable usb/midi din etc

It's designed to sequence hardware over midi.

I don't know the deluge but can't you change an internal instrument to a midi track then assign channel/din
By jamos Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:37 pm
SirAdrianFish wrote:I have been through all the monitor settings more than once - it does not make any difference.

Well, I suppose the problem could be with the Deluge, I have zero experience with that. If you think so, use the MPC's MIDI monitor (which is not the same as the MIDI monitor settings described above) to view your incoming MIDI. You access this through the I/O icon at the top of the menu screen. You should see all the notes, clock, CCs, etc. that the Deluge is sending out. This is independent of all the input settings on the mpc, so if you're not seeing anything there, it's definitely caused by the Deluge or the connection.
By SirAdrianFish Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm
eLuSiVeMiTe wrote:Have you set the deluge up to send midi to the correct channels over the correct cable usb/midi din etc

Every single Track is assigned to a Midi-Channel (1-6) - this in both devices. I've tryed USB & DIN-cables, which makes no difference.

jamos wrote: (...) use the MPC's MIDI monitor (which is not the same as the MIDI monitor settings described above) to view your incoming MIDI. You access this through the I/O icon at the top of the menu screen. You should see all the notes, clock, CCs, etc. that the Deluge is sending out. This is independent of all the input settings on the mpc, so if you're not seeing anything there, it's definitely caused by the Deluge or the connection.

The only incoming signal is the Clock sent by the deluge. When turned of, there is no incoming signal at all in song mode.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:25 pm
SirAdrianFish wrote:
eLuSiVeMiTe wrote:Have you set the deluge up to send midi to the correct channels over the correct cable usb/midi din etc

Every single Track is assigned to a Midi-Channel (1-6) - this in both devices. I've tryed USB & DIN-cables, which makes no difference.

jamos wrote: (...) use the MPC's MIDI monitor (which is not the same as the MIDI monitor settings described above) to view your incoming MIDI. You access this through the I/O icon at the top of the menu screen. You should see all the notes, clock, CCs, etc. that the Deluge is sending out. This is independent of all the input settings on the mpc, so if you're not seeing anything there, it's definitely caused by the Deluge or the connection.

The only incoming signal is the Clock sent by the deluge. When turned of, there is no incoming signal at all in song mode.

How is the deluge connected to the mpc?