MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mr_debauch Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:21 pm
yeah good luck. the desktop software has basically the same problem too... i tried using the live as an interface to record something onto the computer, figured why not try the mpc software since it's one stereo track... first time i thought i messed something up because it stopped recording at some random time... tried again and it stopped at some different random time. I just wanted to record a cassette onto the computer.. better off using a real daw or audacity.
By B-Wise Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:23 pm
jamos wrote:"Buy something else" doesn't seem like much of an answer.

Its an expensive answer but it may be the best or only option if you really need that feature but still want to keep it Akai based & I also said to wait & see what Akai does next.
By DeaDeus Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:46 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Non-glitchy audio recording as sync slave needs good realtime time-stretching, which the MPC has not. MIDI Clock has constant small fluctuations, meaning that the recorded WAV file would need to use lots of "warp markers" (which the MPC doesn't have) to timestamp what the time was at different audio locations.

I like the answer - for this you would need a separate clock chip - the Linux software solution is not tight enough.
By DeaDeus Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:15 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I can't see how the software's lack of features could have anything to do with Linux. :) Or how adding one more clock would be needed.

My opinion?
- Software will never beat hardware.
- You can certainly do anything with software - but it keeps to be "anything"
- Hardware is (by its name) a solid and integrated box.
- What does software? ...it "emulates" hardware.
- Is a MPC, of latest Linux edition, hardware: No - it is a computer.
(Edit: I bet one could do spreadsheets with an MPC - with the right hack - makes no sense but....)
By Zack Zerox Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:41 am
kazakore wrote:
Zack Zerox wrote:Another (I think) undocumented limitation related to this: no audio recording/sampling if the unit is running as a slave in sync.

That was pretty bloody annoying too, when I discovered it. But hey, I'm over it now! Just work with this machine's little quirks.

Mentioned in the manual multiple times, where it says if you need to slave to sync and record at the same time to use MTC rather than MIDI Clock and it will work. (Bit of a strange limitation which I don't understand why it's there though...)

Ah, cheers, I've missed that. I'll give it a try.