MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By althemusicwizard Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:22 am
Hi rGuys,
I haven't been here in a while.
I'm 60 this year. I'm DJing for a 21st birthday party. The mix of music is stuff from the last 60 years (oldest track I think is 'I got a woman' - Ray Charles and the newest....not sure something from 2020 probably).
I used to play cover tracks in the clubs (rock and pop) and we used differnet stuff to achieve this, mainly Sony mini disk players and then a Roland VS1680, allmanually firing the tracks.
I've edited all the tracks in Studio One 5 and have brought them into a folder on the MPC Key 61.

The people want some live input. I play sax, keys and sing and rather than doing a separate set, I thought it might be fun to incorporate some live playing between certain tracks. What I'm thinking is taking the tracks I've been given, sampling certain bits (probably the starts), creating a kick pattern and maybe pads and then playing some sax live (maybe the melody line of a verse say or some repeated rhythmic idea), then kick into the original track. This would of course involve sampling to pads, but is there any way I could build a 5 hour set up in this way. The playlist for the evening is running at the moment at about 80 songs.

I haven't set to with the Key 61 to try and fathom out how I might achieve this but though I'd ask here first.

I have a Tascam Model24 that will be handling mixing duties so track mutes etc could be done by the mixer.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Al