MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By althemusicwizard Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:42 pm
I think my Key 61 updated to the latest software yesterday when I turned it on. I noticed this about 6 months ago when I bought the machine. If you're working on a Project and you've created a new Drum Program by assigning samples from say your SSD, when you come to save the Project and then load in the Project, the Drum Program doesn't save correctly. I thought the Project saved everything that was 'in the memory' at the time......unless it's putting the Drum Programs somewhere different to the Project? Maybe in the internal memory? I've found the only way is to save the Program itself then the Project loads it in correctly the next time. As I'm still learning the machine it's not a biggie but I'd like to know what's happening.

Another 'bug-bear'....well 2 in fact. There doesn't seem to be any way I've found of saving 'CUSTOM' keyboard setups in 'Keyboard Control'. I have to dial the settings in every time I use the Key 61. The other is the metronome. The metronome setting allows you to pick a separate output to send the click (say 3/4), but since default settings of instruments are 1/2, wouldn't it be better to have just had it assignable to the headphones out only? Or is there a way to source what comes out of the headphones? It could be that I haven't understood the routing of the outputs, both the virtual via USB and the physical outputs. I really just want to remove the metronome from the jack outputs 1&2, while having a mix of 1&2 and the click in the headphones.
By EnochLight Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 pm
althemusicwizard wrote:I think my Key 61 updated to the latest software yesterday when I turned it on.

There is no way it will "automatically" do this without user-input. There are no forced firmware updates on MPC or Force - you have to manually select that you want to download/install it in standalone. So apparently at some point you did this?

As for your other issues, what firmware are you on exactly? Have you tried resetting system Preferences? You're not trying to save anything into your internal factory storage, are you?
By eLuSiVeMiTe Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:17 pm
To save midi maps and q links assignments for my hardware I save a midi program.

Do they not save with a drum program?
By Lampdog Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:22 am
2.11.8, empty project, loaded drums from several dif folders fm ssd to 3 dif drum programs. Used model-d synth on a plugin program.

Saved project as, to ssd.

Powered down.

Powered up, loaded xpj, all loads fine.
By althemusicwizard Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:30 am
Thanks for those replies.
I'm on 2.11.8.
I realise with the drum programs what I was doing wrong. When the drum program loaded in, the bank was set to BANK D so didn't show any of the samples. I presumed they weren't there but they were.
That just leaves the METRONOME OUT problem and the KEYBOARD CONTROL problem.