MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Sat May 27, 2023 5:11 am
Flux302 wrote:To the guy calculating the individual cost. Just remember those parts usually have to be multiplied by about 5x before you get to a product price that is sustainable for a business… which puts it mighty close to the asking price…. Just saying , businesses have a lot of costs to run em. Those costs get factored into product prices. (Let alone the cut from distro )

That's a good point.

BTW are you the dude from ASM?
By Certified Beatz Sat May 27, 2023 5:36 am
Flux302 wrote:To the guy calculating the individual cost. Just remember those parts usually have to be multiplied by about 5x before you get to a product price that is sustainable for a business… which puts it mighty close to the asking price…. Just saying , businesses have a lot of costs to run em. Those costs get factored into product prices. (Let alone the cut from distro )

Well of you look at the cost to the k61 it should be the same.. my question and I don't know what u do for work .. labor = cost .. is it worth not to just my the SE I f your still having issues..
By EnochLight Sat May 27, 2023 12:09 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Dig all you want, but I doubt you’ll be able to expand the RAM. Good luck though!

I think he wants to replace the Raxda pcb board as a whole instead of just the ram.

Right. Like I said: good luck!
By Gabriel Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:17 pm
KainThaBrain wrote:While I had my Live 2 disassembled to get the voltage specs of the capacitors to upgrade them (s/o to K Magnetic for the idea), it dawned on me that I can finally upgrade the ram in my Live 2 and X by just replacing the stock pcb boards with the SE pcb boards. But I don’t know the model number of the 4gig ram SE pcb boards. If anybody that has an SE and don’t mind popping the hood to get model number of pcb board for us, it’ll highly be appreciated

Perhaps contact AKAI spare parts department!
By Gabriel Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:48 am
Avasopht wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote:I can’t post a link but look up this post on Facebook and ask this guy:

The CPU and RAM cost about $20-30.

The audio interface, on the other hand, is anyone's guess. The screen could be around $30-50.

The controller itself (buttons, knobs and pads) with the case and chassis could be $400-600.

But the real value is what it brings to you as a music maker - amirite??? :worthy:

Hi

This is an overly simplistic view.
How about you buy the individual components and show us how cheap you think it is to build this unit. There are research and development costs, production costs,ie paying third parties eg the plastic cases, etc. profit margin, employee wages, etc….lol
By richie Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:54 am
KainThaBrain wrote:While I had my Live 2 disassembled to get the voltage specs of the capacitors to upgrade them (s/o to K Magnetic for the idea), it dawned on me that I can finally upgrade the ram in my Live 2 and X by just replacing the stock pcb boards with the SE pcb boards. But I don’t know the model number of the 4gig ram SE pcb boards. If anybody that has an SE and don’t mind popping the hood to get model number of pcb board for us, it’ll highly be appreciated

You're going to ruin your MPC's

To answer your question, if you want a replacement PCB then you'll have to order them like the rest of us do direct from Numark. The last I checked, you were looking at $600 for the main PCB for the X.

Regarding the mod :

K Magnetic did a video acting like he was the person that invented recapping equipment, all because the repair guy at the place he took his MPC to had an opinion that the original capacitors were of poor quality.

What would have gave merit to this silly persons claims is if had the common sense to do a true A/B, record the output before the caps were swapped to .wav and then after the swap. That way there would be proof through a frequency analysis if there was any difference.

Don't get me wrong, in some cases replacing replacing capacitors with better quality ones can help electronics equipment as a whole but these videos K Magnetic are doing, without any real understanding of what he is talking about is what is going to result in several people potentially damaging their MPC's.

Showing capacitors being swapped in areas of the MPC that have absolutely nothing to do with audio processing and then claiming that he can hear the difference is stupidity. Unless he believes that the new capacitors on the control PCB make the jog wheel and the tact switches sound more "Analog" for "Better Bass" on his kick drums?
By EnochLight Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:15 pm
Gabriel wrote:Hi

This is an overly simplistic view.
How about you buy the individual components and show us how cheap you think it is to build this unit. There are research and development costs, production costs,ie paying third parties eg the plastic cases, etc. profit margin, employee wages, etc….lol

:worthy: ^^ THIS ^^ :worthy:

Not sure where everyone is from, but where I’m from - an average software developer starting salary ranges from $55,000-$75,000 USD. Assuming you’re employing at least a team of 5 devs + product manager, testing lead, etc - on salaries alone - just for a software backend - you’re in for an average of 18 months development, which can easily make your costs skyrocket - and that’s not including the time to alpha/beta test and get things solid and stable. Add the costs of marketing and sales, and.. yeah - there’s a reason the hardware costs are absolutely a lot more than the sticker on the box.
By Gabriel Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:21 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:When you buy a software plugin, what are the manufacturing costs? It's just bits in space!!1

And how do you think plug ins are created?
By Gabriel Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:24 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:No shit??? And the difference between that and a product that also contains some physical bits is...

I’m not certain you understand the cost of creating an MPC for the consumer market. Best not to speculate or criticise if you have no experience in this field.
By B-Wise Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:30 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Best not to speculate or criticise if you have no experience in this field.

You in the place for that. :lol:
By Gabriel Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:29 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:No shit??? And the difference between that and a product that also contains some physical bits is...

You don’t seem to have any idea about the costs involved in developing these products. Do think they magically appear.
By B-Wise Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:35 am
Gabriel wrote: Best not to speculate or criticise if you have no experience in this field.

I meant to say - you're in the wrong place for that.

Still, why respond to a comment that you already replied too over a month ago?. Do you, but some times its best to just let it go :roll:
By mrmarbury Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:54 am
EnochLight wrote:Whenever I see people suggest software should just be free or (gasp!) pirated since it's not hurting anyone when you make a copy and give it away, I want to punch them in the face. Software development costs money, it costs time, and it is a tangible IP that should be paid for.

Don't let Stallman hear that though :smh: :-D I get why he created GNU and there's good reasons to have free and open source software. I am all for it and a big contributor to OSS. But there's also good reason to have paid software. After I listened to a podcast with an interview with him years ago I had trouble not to completely switch sides towards "F*ck OSS" because he is so extremist and outright fascist against anything software that costs money that even the interviewers (huge Stallman fans and huge OSS nerds) were noticeably offended by his words and had trouble to even recap the last episode with the interview