MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By KainThaBrain Mon May 22, 2023 3:29 am
While I had my Live 2 disassembled to get the voltage specs of the capacitors to upgrade them (s/o to K Magnetic for the idea), it dawned on me that I can finally upgrade the ram in my Live 2 and X by just replacing the stock pcb boards with the SE pcb boards. But I don’t know the model number of the 4gig ram SE pcb boards. If anybody that has an SE and don’t mind popping the hood to get model number of pcb board for us, it’ll highly be appreciated
By SuperKonquer Mon May 22, 2023 6:11 am
From what I've heard, there are no supply of these boards floating around. Akai bought all the boards and the rights to produce the discontinued design. They are probably going to be pretty reluctant about providing spares so people can't upgrade on the cheap instead of buying the SE.
By Avasopht Mon May 22, 2023 1:55 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:I can’t post a link but look up this post on Facebook and ask this guy:

The CPU and RAM cost about $20-30.

The audio interface, on the other hand, is anyone's guess. The screen could be around $30-50.

The controller itself (buttons, knobs and pads) with the case and chassis could be $400-600.

But the real value is what it brings to you as a music maker - amirite??? :worthy:
By 40Beatz Mon May 22, 2023 3:16 pm
I actually commented on this post lol.

Basically I said...."Thank All Those Who Purchased the New MPC X SE. Akai will be using those extra Funds for Research & Development of the MPC Live 3 or the 3.0 Software/Firmware!"
By 40Beatz Mon May 22, 2023 7:33 pm
The Engineers who designed it should get paid right?
By EnochLight Mon May 22, 2023 8:55 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:When you buy a software plugin, what are the manufacturing costs? It's just bits in space!!1

^^ THIS X1000 ^^

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Whenever I see people suggest software should just be free or (gasp!) pirated since it's not hurting anyone when you make a copy and give it away, I want to punch them in the face. Software development costs money, it costs time, and it is a tangible IP that should be paid for. I think it's been evident since the first (new gen) MPC came out that Akai are in the business of selling hardware *AND* software together. It's their value together that makes them what they are today, IMHO.
By 40Beatz Mon May 22, 2023 8:55 pm
Exactly!!! :lol:

There is No Difference. Compensation for Services is in order.
By EnochLight Fri May 26, 2023 3:03 am
Dig all you want, but I doubt you’ll be able to expand the RAM. Good luck though!
By zangetsu01 Fri May 26, 2023 3:11 am
EnochLight wrote:Dig all you want, but I doubt you’ll be able to expand the RAM. Good luck though!

I think he wants to replace the Raxda pcb board as a whole instead of just the ram.
By Flux302 Sat May 27, 2023 5:08 am
To the guy calculating the individual cost. Just remember those parts usually have to be multiplied by about 5x before you get to a product price that is sustainable for a business… which puts it mighty close to the asking price…. Just saying , businesses have a lot of costs to run em. Those costs get factored into product prices. (Let alone the cut from distro )