MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By hyena Tue May 23, 2023 8:37 am
Ableton Push 3 is out, and it is STANDALONE!!!
https://www.ableton.com/en/push/

i post it here too, because i think it is very relevant to the ongoing discussions about the state of all things related to standalone instruments\sampler-sequencers\mpc's and derivative...
i think this is truly a gamechanger. like an hybrid between Roger Linn's Linnstrument, Push 2 and a modern Mpc\Force.
I think it can only make good for us, pushing Akai to develop better and faster, to stay competitive in the game.

(To be totally transparent: i don't work for Ableton but i am an Ableton Live Certified Trainer since version 8, i don't have a push 3 in my hands now, and i wont get one for free, i' ll probably have some good discount on it tho. but my perspective will always be transparent and objective. )
By pedro_oliveira1993 Tue May 23, 2023 9:03 am
pedro_oliveira1993 wrote:No fuss, no hype. Deadly. Did not expect this. I love Ableton but this is probably a little bit expensive for me. If it helps bring push 2 prices down maybe I'll get one

Oh... just read that you can buy the controller version and make it standalone down the road. And the standalone is also upgradable.

That is huge.
By MPC-Tutor Tue May 23, 2023 9:43 am
Seriously, this looks amazing. I've been saying for years that the MPC needs more hardware innovation, e.g. MPE , XY pads etc, and they've let Ableton get the jump on them. The pads seem absolutely stunning. I love that you can buy the controller version and upgrade to standalone and it only costs a bit more overall. Also they'll potentially be releasing more powerful processor upgrades in the future.

8GB ram, 256GB drive, CV, USB C. ADAT, so if you want more than two I/O you'll need to purchase an ADAT interface separately.

Not sure how the software side of things works, but it appears that the standalone model will let you use all the features of the version of Live that you own, so I take it it must have the full Live suite inside it which is then limited accordingly?

What's the deal with plugins? Is it just native Live plugins, or will it support third party VSTs?

Makes the MPC X SE release seem a bit tired and uninspiring. Same hardware they released 6 years ago with 2GB more ram, while Ableton come out with this. Let's see if it lives up to the promise though, but I'm very tempted.

I wonder if Akai will continue to offer the Live control and ALS export options? :lol:
By THXjay Tue May 23, 2023 9:52 am
Just watching the Sonic State video on this and it really is going to be a kick up the arse for Akai (Don't InMusic make the push hardware?)
The fact that it's intel makes it able to do so much more with plugins and the like. The upgradeability is a game-changer! you can buy the basic controller and then upgrade internal bits (battery, memory, cpu) to turn it into standalone, they're also talking about being able to upgrade the cpu in the future!!!!!!!

I'm not a fan of having a zillion keys but the expression feature is awesome for playing guitars and other real instruments.

Comes with 8gb of RAM as a basic standard........come on Akai, get your s**t together........

Maybe this is a taste of what the next gen MPC will be like?
By mrmarbury Tue May 23, 2023 10:19 am
THXjay wrote:Just watching the Sonic State video on this and it really is going to be a kick up the arse for Akai (Don't InMusic make the push hardware?)
The fact that it's intel makes it able to do so much more with plugins and the like. The upgradeability is a game-changer! you can buy the basic controller and then upgrade internal bits (battery, memory, cpu) to turn it into standalone, they're also talking about being able to upgrade the cpu in the future!!!!!!!

I'm not a fan of having a zillion keys but the expression feature is awesome for playing guitars and other real instruments.

Comes with 8gb of RAM as a basic standard........come on Akai, get your s**t together........

Maybe this is a taste of what the next gen MPC will be like?

They said that they started working on the 3 as soon as the 2 was out. So either inMusic is working on a similar thing already and the X SE is just to get time and more money in. Or it’s another 5-7 years of waiting here
Last edited by mrmarbury on Tue May 23, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By THXjay Tue May 23, 2023 10:28 am
I'm really hoping that Akai knew about this and has been working on next-gen MPC. Though I must admit this looks more likely to inspire a Force 2.

I'm still amazed how they got an intel computer and battery in such a slim unit. No excuse for the MPC One MKII not having a battery.
By hyena Tue May 23, 2023 12:04 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Seriously, this looks amazing. I've been saying for years that the MPC needs more hardware innovation, e.g. MPE , XY pads etc, and they've let Ableton get the jump on them. The pads seem absolutely stunning. I love that you can buy the controller version and upgrade to standalone and it only costs a bit more overall. Also they'll potentially be releasing more powerful processor upgrades in the future.

8GB ram, 256GB drive, CV, USB C. ADAT, so if you want more than two I/O you'll need to purchase an ADAT interface separately.

Not sure how the software side of things works, but it appears that the standalone model will let you use all the features of the version of Live that you own, so I take it it must have the full Live suite inside it which is then limited accordingly?

What's the deal with plugins? Is it just native Live plugins, or will it support third party VSTs?

Makes the MPC X SE release seem a bit tired and uninspiring. Same hardware they released 6 years ago with 2GB more ram, while Ableton come out with this. Let's see if it lives up to the promise though, but I'm very tempted.

I wonder if Akai will continue to offer the Live control and ALS export options? :lol:

no third party plugins, but YES max for live devices!!! the expandability\upgradeability of all components (we'll be able to swap processor, ram, hard disk, battery for new upgraded ones in the future) is another very strong point! plus cv\gate out and ADAT out we can use with stuff like expert sleepers to get cv\gate...

Jeruro wrote:No arranger view!

not yet. it will come for sure in an update. there are things here and there that still need to be addressed probably, i think it will see a lot of frequent updates in the first period
By EnochLight Tue May 23, 2023 12:12 pm
No Arranger view in standalone is a bizarre omission. Almost weird to say that Akai Force has a leg up on Ableton in that regard. Cost is almost hilariously high - and Push 3 (standalone) doesn’t even come with a full version of Live for that price??!
Last edited by EnochLight on Tue May 23, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kja Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 pm
Everyone's so hyped, mpc had always been what it is.. Just powerful enough to be a mpc.. it is never gonna compete with the most futuristic stuff.. funny it is still the black rubbery plaid stuff that melts.. that's what you're gonna upgrade? Lol.. good luck with that..