MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ceeprm Wed May 24, 2023 9:40 am
Hi

I know this has been discussed before but Im looking to restore my factory content after a previous owner deleted it. The reason being is I would like to get templates to work and in preferences the new project dialogue says demo/template/recent (not installed).

Ive contacted Akai and they sent me the zip of factory content which I put on a blank 16gb usb stick- I followed all their instructions and the mpc doesn't recognise it- when I power on the mpc it goes straight from the standard mpc screen to the normal sequence page. I also tried this on a 64gb sd card with no success.

Any ideas? It seems some people were able to do this and the mpc just automatically loaded the factory content upon booting up. Akai support has gone quiet.

Thanks!

Phil
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 24, 2023 10:14 am
The installer to put the content back on the internal drive requires two elements, the folder of actual content (expansions, demo projects etc) and a separate script which will run when you perform the boot up with button combos (can't remember the exact procedure). Did they send this script as well? If they've only sent the folder of content they it wont be copied to the internal drive. If you also have the script, then I guess they either sent the wrong one (each model needs a different script I believe) or it's user error. Double check the instructions, but you might have to chase up support, try the live chat for a potentially quicker response.

But you can just load the demo projects directly from your USB disk in the meantime.

Another option is to install one of the hacked firmwares with SSH access enabled, then you can just copy the content over to the internal drive using SFTP.
By ceeprm Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Hi Thanks- they sent me these files:
autorun.check
autorun.json
autorun.sh
Folder DATA (contains demos and expansions)
update-content.data

The instructions they gave are:
1. Download the .zip file.
2. Unzip the downloaded file.
3. Copy the contents (the “autorun” folder) onto either a USB stick, or an SD card (exFAT format, at least 16GB capacity), and make sure this content is placed in the root directory of the removable device - do NOT place the content inside a folder on the removable drive.
4. Turn on MPC and wait until the Demo selection screen pops up. (If you do not have a project Dialog box after startup, power off the MPC, insert your SD or USB and power it back on. The MPC will start the import automatically. skip to step 7)
5. Plug in the prepared USB stick or SD card.
6. A popup will appear asking if you want to download the contents. Press “YES”.
7. The MPC will reboot to a black screen and will start importing the content. DO NOT POWER OFF UNIT.
8. Unit will reboot after it has completed the import, and the content will be be available thereafter as normal.

Nothing happens when I have a usb stick/sd card with the files on it. Maybe the hacked firmware is the way to go?

cheers

Phil
By cocosushi Wed May 24, 2023 9:31 pm
have been in the same situation a few years ago when I had the mpc live and restored my content successfully.

In my instructions they also said:
"Once downloaded, unzip the contents. Inside you should find a folder named “autorun”. Copy this entire folder to the root menu of a blank USB stick.
Make sure that your MPC Live or X is turned off and connect it (the prepared usb media) to USB Port 1 of your MPC. Power on the MPC. It will automatically start the update procedure. This process should take about 10-20 Minues.

hope that helps
By ceeprm Fri May 26, 2023 8:07 am
Hi

I got it sorted now- I realised I had copied the contents of the folder to the usb stick and not the folder itself- doh! After I did that it instantly recognised it and loaded the factory content so the template screen is back.
Thanks for you help.

cheers

Phil
By EnochLight Sat May 27, 2023 1:09 am
#User_error :nod: :lol:

Glad you got things sorted in the end!