MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By hyena Fri May 26, 2023 7:15 am
i have the rx950 and an actual s950, i must say i was truly pleased when listening to it the first time, i think it is the closest software has got to emulating the old 9fifty. i tried other solutions before, like TAL Dac\Sampler , which is very good, but not as good as rx950.
that said, it only gives you a part of the experience of an s950, preamp\sample rate emulation\filter. the dynamics of sounds are not as much impacted as on the real one, as well as obviously we miss the cool transposition the original has. anyway, it sounds REALLY good to my ear, really close.
By BKLYN Fri May 26, 2023 9:24 am
The MPC's Vintage Mode is greatly disappointing compared to what I'm hearing with the RX1200 and RX950 plugins. While I also don't want to belabor EA-Ski's converters debate, I have been sampling using my Isla Instruments S2400 and taking the files over to the MPC X because I prefer the workflow of the MPC.
By BeatWilson Fri May 26, 2023 10:56 am
BKLYN wrote:The MPC's Vintage Mode is greatly disappointing compared to what I'm hearing with the RX1200 and RX950 plugins. While I also don't want to belabor EA-Ski's converters debate, I have been sampling using my Isla Instruments S2400 and taking the files over to the MPC X because I prefer the workflow of the MPC.

I also do this but sometimes I use the S2400 with the sp404mk2 and do the sequencing in the s2400 instead of the MpcX.
By hyena Fri May 26, 2023 12:36 pm
BKLYN wrote:The MPC's Vintage Mode is greatly disappointing compared to what I'm hearing with the RX1200 and RX950 plugins. While I also don't want to belabor EA-Ski's converters debate, I have been sampling using my Isla Instruments S2400 and taking the files over to the MPC X because I prefer the workflow of the MPC.

i do this with the s950 for certain samples. it's not the same tho, especially with drums. i explain: if i just sample in the 950 then resample in the Live, the sound is good, i get the coloration of the 950, all good.
but if i keep them samples in the 950 and only sequence from the mpc, the drums have more punch, especially using separate outs and going to the mixer. i was doing it with my first mpc too (the 2kxl) because to my ear the drums hit harder when kept on the 950. i was crazy enough to bring the big flight case with the 950 and other racked stuff on stage too... nowadays i cannot stand that level of masochism tho :D :D
By 40Beatz Fri May 26, 2023 1:35 pm
Everyone wants a Quick Preset Sound. The MPC has the perfect set of Effects to make your Tracks sound like ANY Hardware Sampler. Old or New School.
If i make a track and it doesn't sound like it does on an Older Model....I use my ears n Load up an ParaEQ, play with certain Bands to get it there. Then maybe the AIR Maximizer on it. Save my Plug in Chain, BOOM....instant Old School Sound on all my shit!
By BKLYN Fri May 26, 2023 4:22 pm
jaymack wrote:Unfortunately this does nothing for standalone mpcs. There's already tons of plug-ins if you wanted to be connected to a computer

You can prepare your custom batch of samples in controller mode for Standalone mode?

40Beatz wrote:Everyone wants a Quick Preset Sound. The MPC has the perfect set of Effects to make your Tracks sound like ANY Hardware Sampler. Old or New School.
If i make a track and it doesn't sound like it does on an Older Model....I use my ears n Load up an ParaEQ, play with certain Bands to get it there. Then maybe the AIR Maximizer on it. Save my Plug in Chain, BOOM....instant Old School Sound on all my shit!

Like many of my fellow Isla Instruments S2400, and those who've bought the Rossum reissue of the SP-1200, we just love the way aliasing sounds in Boom Bap music, and your manipulation of tones through EQ filters doesn't produce that sound.

Aliasing in addition to filtering gives the sample that particular coveted vibe that none of the MPC VINTAGE MODE or plugins can produce, because Akai's development team didn't bother to care about this important element.

Inphonik's RX1200, however, has a mathematically precise algorithm that does accurately produce that sound.

Judging by your comment I'm left to believe that there's a strong discernible difference between your perception of what makes an old school sound special and what others who want that true classic sound of yesteryear finds special.

Is this not fair?
By kaydigi Fri May 26, 2023 4:34 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Not paying for crap (on youtube, watching is paying), and I suspect it's a load of bull that could be stated in a couple of sentences. What's the "biggest problem" and what is the "solution"?

The Rx950 has been out for a long time , this is not a flash in pan developer.

I think it was a Reason Rack extension first and everyone gave it good reviews when it came out, I love it . I use it more than decimort 2.
By BKLYN Fri May 26, 2023 4:52 pm
kaydigi wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Not paying for crap (on youtube, watching is paying), and I suspect it's a load of bull that could be stated in a couple of sentences. What's the "biggest problem" and what is the "solution"?

The Rx950 has been out for a long time , this is not a flash in pan developer.

I think it was a Reason Rack extension first and everyone gave it good reviews when it came out, I love it . I use it more than decimort 2.

I strongly agree Inphonik is a great developer highly skilled in modeling hardware with attention to detail. The very first thing I noticed a few years ago when I started using the RX950 is that it sounds incredibly close to my Akai S900 and the upgrade they put out (I think a year or two ago) nailed it!

I've been learning my way around the RX1200 for the past few hours and not only does it sound great, but it's a fun experience!
By 40Beatz Fri May 26, 2023 8:52 pm
BKLYN wrote:
40Beatz wrote:Everyone wants a Quick Preset Sound. The MPC has the perfect set of Effects to make your Tracks sound like ANY Hardware Sampler. Old or New School.

Judging by your comment I'm left to believe that there's a strong discernible difference between your perception of what makes an old school sound special and what others who want that true classic sound of yesteryear finds special.

Is this not fair?

Perception Is All In The Ear Of The Beholder lol
My Two Cents Are Very Fair! lol
By EnochLight Sat May 27, 2023 1:02 am
So… circling back to the OP.. I don’t have the time to watch 3 different videos when it’s not clear what the post’s intent was. Can you explain please? Are you suggesting buying some desktop plugins to solve (an undisclosed) standalone MPC “weakness”? :hmmm: