MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By johnnytravels Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 am
Lampdog wrote:You knew not to expect much from it from the get go when it was marketed to have used the same physical circuitry as old hardware samplers.

You knew that.

Yeah that was actually a really shitty move in the Renaissance marketing. And the funny thing is that even Native Instruments still to this day has a better vintage mode…
By MPC-Tutor Sat May 27, 2023 9:10 am
johnnytravels wrote:Yeah that was actually a really shitty move in the Renaissance marketing.

Plus the discovery that SP1200 'ring mode' was just a patch for the Decimator plugin. Likely suggests that all the other vintage modes are probably just a combination of EQ and resampler rather than modelling.
By SuperKonquer Sat May 27, 2023 12:23 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
johnnytravels wrote:Yeah that was actually a really shitty move in the Renaissance marketing.

Plus the discovery that SP1200 'ring mode' was just a patch for the Decimator plugin. Likely suggests that all the other vintage modes are probably just a combination of EQ and resampler rather than modelling.

With all the tools we have now, Akai could probably redo or add new filter modes to vastly improve them. With transient, flavor, amp sim, diode clipper, compressors, eqs, etc etc they could go town on filter mode. I'm certain they could capture punch and grit and randomness or whatever other perceived magic of analog. Maybe they'll revist the filter modes now that this hoopla about sonics has reared it's head.
By B-Wise Sat May 27, 2023 12:43 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:With all the tools we have now, Akai could probably redo or add new filter modes to vastly improve them. With transient, flavor, amp sim, diode clipper, compressors, eqs, etc etc they could go town on filter mode. I'm certain they could capture punch and grit and randomness or whatever other perceived magic of analog. Maybe they'll revist the filter modes now that this hoopla about sonics has reared it's head.

But can't the user use those tools to do it for themselves?
By SuperKonquer Sat May 27, 2023 1:46 pm
B-Wise wrote:
SuperKonquer wrote:With all the tools we have now, Akai could probably redo or add new filter modes to vastly improve them. With transient, flavor, amp sim, diode clipper, compressors, eqs, etc etc they could go town on filter mode. I'm certain they could capture punch and grit and randomness or whatever other perceived magic of analog. Maybe they'll revist the filter modes now that this hoopla about sonics has reared it's head.

Sure it's possible, but many don't have the ear or willing to figure out the combo needed to hit that sweet spot. Akai/Air built these plugins so will have a more intricate knowledge of what plugin can accomplish what and what weaknesses exist and pitfalls to avoid. More importantly, making filter chains in a mode instead of having to use 3,4,8 plugins would save resources and they can exclude data not needed to shape the sound.

There is a broad user base, so you can never know what sounds hit each user just right, so filter mode should have 100+ presets and maybe even one or 2 knobs to boost or attenuate whatever character elements that define the sound. The current lines are more transparent and plenty capable of sounding more colored. Even though those tools already exist, because they are not in easy mode they can be/are being overlooked/ignored. I for one would welcome easy mode filters instead of trying to play plug in Lego.
By B-Wise Sat May 27, 2023 2:31 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:Sure it's possible, but many don't have the ear or willing to figure out the combo needed to hit that sweet spot. Akai/Air built these plugins so will have a more intricate knowledge of what plugin can accomplish what and what weaknesses exist and pitfalls to avoid. More importantly, making filter chains in a mode instead of having to use 3,4,8 plugins would save resources and they can exclude data not needed to shape the sound.

There is a broad user base, so you can never know what sounds hit each user just right, so filter mode should have 100+ presets and maybe even one or 2 knobs to boost or attenuate whatever character elements that define the sound. The current lines are more transparent and plenty capable of sounding more colored. Even though those tools already exist, because they are not in easy mode they can be/are being overlooked/ignored. I for one would welcome easy mode filters instead of trying to play plug in Lego.

Lego is fun & teaches one how to build what one wants.

The fact that the older gear had a certain sound from the get go is part of the problem now in that all of these so called creators don't know how to use the tools that's currently available in the new devices & want the company that took over the original Akai to build a sound they didn't make.

I agree they should make vintage mood better or make better demos on how to use the tool better so ppl can make it for themselves. But at the sametime no one is stopping ppl from dedicating time to learn & master these tools.

What else would be helpful is if the ppl complaining would drop videos of them trying to make the classic sound using these on the new devices so we can see what they're doing & build from there with more ppl giving tips until we get better results.

Also it would be helpful more ppl knew more about all the different reasons why older machines sounded the way they did. Like most think lower bit & sample rates sounds more fat & warm than higher bit/sample rate which is only half true because all that fat/warm sound us still there with higher quality samples, but you have to use a low pass filter to cut out those higher frequencies that those older samplers couldn't capture which gave them that fat/warm sound. What more difficult to recreate is the unique noise that came from other sources like the converters. This is when knowing your tools will help out as well as knowing that some sounds may not be possible to recreate 100% but that 80% or whatever is good enough & be OK with that, since most listeners aren't sound nerds & won't know nor care if your beats doesn't sound 100% like a 3k.
By Monotremata Sat May 27, 2023 3:52 pm
BKLYN wrote:
I strongly agree Inphonik is a great developer highly skilled in modeling hardware with attention to detail. The very first thing I noticed a few years ago when I started using the RX950 is that it sounds incredibly close to my Akai S900 and the upgrade they put out (I think a year or two ago) nailed it!

Alright the demos of the RX950 got me this morning and I grabbed it (going to smack some people with Amen breaks now).

Did you have to enter in the license key they gave you? I got it installed and it looks like its running fine, but I see nowhere to put in the key they sent me with it hah (I got a different key for each OS Linux/Mac/Windows)
By SuperKonquer Sat May 27, 2023 3:54 pm
I don't disagree with the utility of being able to use your own blocks to build your creation. But in the context of the MPC, you have limited slots, limited memory and without being able to rearrange inserts slots, it becomes that much more difficult to put the pieces together in just the right way.

The overall usability of fx could certainly use a touch up.
By BKLYN Sat May 27, 2023 4:47 pm
B-Wise wrote:

You can recreate the tone of old-school samplers using the filters on a parametric EQ, but you can't reproduce the aliasing with the onboard plugins, and any MPC expert who claims they can, is a lying liar telling a massive lie...