MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kaydigi Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm
fmq75 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before: running the one + first time and when i want to activate my purchased plugins via wifi i get an error “can not validate license from server“. Is this a known issue?

edit: and i thought i can install at least the plugins on the luxury 16gb storage but when i want to download (i.e hype) it still gives me a“no drive“ warning. Whats the storage for if not for this?

edit2: after searching a bit in the net it turns out it‘s a known problem and not even a new one. And there is no easy solution for this. It may work or not in 1-2 days or you can hack your firmware. Or contact support and prey they answer more or less in time.Bullshit, thanks akai. It makes want to send the shitbrick back right away :evil:

You need to install sd card or usb drive and install hype and other plugin libraries there. The built in internal storage is just marketing and not really usable for what you need.
By fmq75 Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:08 pm
kaydigi wrote:
fmq75 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before: running the one + first time and when i want to activate my purchased plugins via wifi i get an error “can not validate license from server“. Is this a known issue?

edit: and i thought i can install at least the plugins on the luxury 16gb storage but when i want to download (i.e hype) it still gives me a“no drive“ warning. Whats the storage for if not for this?

edit2: after searching a bit in the net it turns out it‘s a known problem and not even a new one. And there is no easy solution for this. It may work or not in 1-2 days or you can hack your firmware. Or contact support and prey they answer more or less in time.Bullshit, thanks akai. It makes want to send the shitbrick back right away :evil:

You need to install sd card or usb drive and install hype and other plugin libraries there. The built in internal storage is just marketing and not really usable for what you need.

Thanks. So it‘s only for more bloat in the OS? lol

MPC is still not validating my stuff, opened a support ticket already. So pissed off that i have no access to my purchases on my free evening. This absolutely NOT how hardware should work.

Back to the unit itself. As others have said, the red looks really great and is darker in natural. But it has the same old problem like vanilla one:

(few words about my odyssey: bought black one, 2 weeks later Maschine + released without warning, I sent the one back. Replaced M+ with retro one when it came out. Got annoyed -again- from the spaghetti OS and replaced retro with force. Now back to one cause i missed the portability and somehow more“focus“ to create ideas.Hope thats the end of the story now :-D )

1. the printing of the secondary/ shift functions are not readable in a not so bright environment.That was better on the retro. Well, akai is not alone with this, Roland (or Korg) is even worse on some units (printing dark grey on black panel is a brilliant idea :roll: ) Nevermind, easy to (re) gain muscle memory.

2.the black pads are still dirt magnets (of course). i love the grey pads,maybe i gonna replace them with the fat pads from mpc stuff.

One lil thing about the white leds: i like them more than the yellow buttons but they are brighter. I wouldn‘t mind turning the brightness down a bit in an -again- not so bright environment.
By dunkeyman Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:22 pm
Any info on the firmware hacking thing you are talking about? I love doing stuff like that. Any good guides anywhere?
By B-Wise Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:34 pm
dunkeyman wrote:Any info on the firmware hacking thing you are talking about? I love doing stuff like that. Any good guides anywhere?

Here's the Mockba Mod: https://github.com/MockbaTheBorg/MockbaMod

I haven't tried it yet. So good luck if you do. There's also a FB group, but I'm not part of it.
By dunkeyman Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:25 pm
dunkeyman wrote:Any info on the firmware hacking thing you are talking about? I love doing stuff like that. Any good guides anywhere?

MPC-Tutor wrote:https://github.com/TheKikGen/MPC-LiveXplore

Ah ok,, I appreciate it but I must have read it wrong. I thought there was a way to use a custom firmware/OS on the MPC One where you would not need to "phone home" to activate plugins.

I would definitely hack my MPC One if I could do something like that because buying something and having to hope activation servers are still running 20 years from now doesn't sit well with me, especially when Akai / InMusic can barely keep the activation functional while they're currently in business and active. Scary! You don't "own" anything.

Praying there will be a way around this some day.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:59 pm
dunkeyman wrote:having to hope activation servers are still running 20 years from now doesn't sit well with me, especially when Akai / InMusic can barely keep the activation functional while they're currently in business and active. Scary! You don't "own" anything. .

I understand your general point, although i suspect in 20 years time your MPC One+ will be languishing deep down underground in a land fill somewhere.

In theory they reckon once logged in there is no online activation / checking in standalone, excluding the current timezone bug (which may have been fixed, not sure). But yes, just doesn't sit right knowing that all these paid plugins can effectively be remotely disabled (for whatever reason),

And if a '3.0' firmware upgrade uses the same activation system, what happens to your hardware when the activation server no longer responds, or there's technical issues validating your firmware license?