MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Neodymium Mon May 29, 2023 5:18 am
Seems to me that this is not target at users upgrading, just beefing up the existing model. I'm guessing the colour change is temporary just to highlight the change and make it feel more individual.

If they put a battery in, then really the Live only has a speaker going for it, I think if you want a battery they want you to buy the Live, which will probably get it's RAM upgrade after these are shipped.

Personally I'm glad we have a new wave of the same coming out, as they'll keep working on the firmware.
By B-Wise Mon May 29, 2023 5:20 am
GSTizzle wrote:I’m coming up on having my MPC One for a year now and it’s a bit effed up they didn’t put the battery in it if that’s all they really did for the Plus. And I notice retailers don’t even sell the MPC One anymore.

It's not wrong, it's business. See things from the company side of thing too before you make a statement like that.

Try it out. If you were the head of a company like Akai, what are some reasons why making a battery-less MPC 1 would make sense?

I'll go first. In no order of importance:
1) It's cheaper to make.
2) It gives you the option to release a upgrade model later & gives buyer in the used market that don't need the battery a very affordable option to get into the MPC world & hopefully buy one of the other models after testing it.
3) It's easier to make technologically wise.
4) It will still sell well.
5) It's still portable-ish at least vs the X. You will just have to bring the power cable to jam on the couch or buy multiple power cables for specific places. It's also a great companion for X owners.
6) It could be used to see how well it would sell against the Live in order to know which of the is worth remaking first down the line. They may planed out their products line well ahead of time. The Live 1 & 2 were released 3 years apart & so were the One & One+. Now customers have all these options. Everyone don't need the latest and greatest. See point 2) above.
7) It wouldn't compete with what made both Live models unique at the time.

Your turn. At least come up with 3 reasons :idea: :idea: :idea: to make it a even 10.
By B-Wise Mon May 29, 2023 5:33 am
Neodymium wrote:
B-Wise wrote:4GB might needed to handle higher quality plugs like a better reverb.

Maybe a convolution, but I thought algorithmic reverbs affected CPU more than ram

I picked a reverb because it the 1 thing that don't have a paid plugin & may only be able on the 4GB models & will be an option after all the new models are out. But the extra RAM still may be needed for more powerful synths. Studio Strings uses like 37% CPU & that ain't cool.
By Lampdog Mon May 29, 2023 5:42 am
Out of all the gear I’ve used, no standalone is phuccin with ASR-10’s lush reverbs. EMU had efx on quality lock.

Well, Kronos2 is as close as I’ve gotten.
By Planemo Mon May 29, 2023 7:46 am
Got no problem with them releasing the One+. The battery is brilliant. If I wanted the battery from the outset I should have put up the $ and bought a Live rather than now moan about my OG not having it. All I'm thinking now is whether I can retrofit the One+ battery to my One, and to make that easier hopefully Akai went with an external charge/BMS board but I'm not banking on it :(
By Lampdog Mon May 29, 2023 8:05 am
GSTizzle wrote:I’m coming up on having my MPC One for a year now and it’s a bit effed up they didn’t put the battery in it if that’s all they really did for the Plus. And I notice retailers don’t even sell the MPC One anymore.

No business will give you everything all at once. It’s not phucced up, it’s business. They make more money selling bits and pieces as upgrades. When you buy something it’s for what it is right then and there. Anything else is gravy.
By Neodymium Mon May 29, 2023 8:36 am
jpeg wrote:I get why existing One users would be mad; cos Akai should have had the battery from the outset for the One, as the size was perfect for portability

But then it would have cost me more, and I would have battery reliability to worry about. It not having a battery is part of the reason I got the one.

Now if it was a user optional upgrade, that would be different.
By GSTizzle Mon May 29, 2023 9:04 am
Lampdog wrote:

No business will give you everything all at once. It’s not phucced up, it’s business. They make more money selling bits and pieces as upgrades. When you buy something it’s for what it is right then and there. Anything else is gravy.

They won’t give it to you all at once ……. Unless of course you buy the MPC X
By Menco Mon May 29, 2023 9:17 am
Lampdog wrote:

People hate on Akai for being business minded, but this is the reason Akai has survived and able to flourish like this and keep things moving forward. Hence the fact Akai Pro has changed hands couple of times last two decades. Money already was an issue after releasing the 3000 when they ended their partnership with Roger Linn, who btw went bankrupt before working with Akai even after the succes of the LM1 and the LinnDrum. Having one great product won’t guarantee you long term succes in this field. Having multiple levels of a product widens your customer base and forces people to upgrade and spend extra money when they want more. Is the same shit with gym-, phone-, and streaming platform memberships.
By jpeg Mon May 29, 2023 10:13 am
Neodymium wrote:
jpeg wrote:I get why existing One users would be mad; cos Akai should have had the battery from the outset for the One, as the size was perfect for portability

But then it would have cost me more, and I would have battery reliability to worry about. It not having a battery is part of the reason I got the one.

Now if it was a user optional upgrade, that would be different.

what battery reliability issue is there to worry about? u can still run it off mains if u choose and those who want to use battery power have that option.

Batteries are very cheap; look at all the cheap phones and tablets that have batteries, so the price difference would be very small.

what is do u mean about optional upgrade? this mpc one plus is an optional upgrade for those who already have a mpc one.

akai could of simply released the mpc one + oringnally; as the things they are adding was common sense and were avaialbe when the og mpc one dropped
By NearTao Mon May 29, 2023 11:01 am
You can use the logic in reverse too though... why bother buying an MPC One when it was released because you know that they will inevitably create a newer better MPC in the future.
By Christov Mon May 29, 2023 11:07 am
Don't like the red, but that's a matter of taste. Otherwise the new features aren't for me considering how I use my one. A battery without a speaker doesn't make much sense to me personally.

But definitly a good thing they keep developing the line further!
By Neodymium Mon May 29, 2023 11:52 am
jpeg wrote:
what battery reliability issue is there to worry about? u can still run it off mains if u choose and those who want to use battery power have that option.

Batteries are very cheap; look at all the cheap phones and tablets that have batteries, so the price difference would be very small.

what is do u mean about optional upgrade? this mpc one plus is an optional upgrade for those who already have a mpc one.

akai could of simply released the mpc one + oringnally; as the things they are adding was common sense and were avaialbe when the og mpc one dropped

MPC one on release was 639quid, and the Live II 1079quid. The main differences being the speaker and the battery. We don't know what the price of the MPC One with a battery would be, but if we split the difference, Akai may have charged 839quid. That would have been a questionable price for me to go for.

If as I say it was a user upgradable option, then yes it would be more appealing, and if it breaks I can fix it my self.

Battery reliability has always been a thing, with phones and laptops. The battery went on my previous laptop, within the warranty period. So it didn't last long, but was fixed. So not paying 200 quid extra just to have a battery, when I can by a portable battery if I wanted to be portable made the MPC one at it's price more appealing.

Screens shouldn't go, we should have to worry about screens, but here I am talking to Thomann about returning my Hydrasynth, because one of the screens has gone, and getting it replaced will probably take months, as well as dealing with customs which is a right pain in the...

So for me screens and batteries are consideration as well as cost. The MPC One would have cost more more money for something I don't really need. But without it was more affordable.