MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jpeg Mon May 29, 2023 6:04 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:If you have an inventory of 2GB and 4GB boards, in which order would you try to put them in your products?

why would they have an inventory of RAM when they get the units produced at the factory? its not like the smaller companies like isla instruments where all the hardware components are first is sent to them and they put together in their workhsop.

Akai units are mass produced assembly line units so they can request whatever chips they need.
By zangetsu01 Mon May 29, 2023 6:09 pm
No battery mentioned and just 2GB of Ram.
So I just have to make this joke:

1 + … = 1

By kja Mon May 29, 2023 6:21 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:
kja wrote:It's funny.. I got jumped on because of you look back, I said it will probably be 2gb and everybody said no way.. this makes sense to me because now it doesn't make the live 2 not current.. why would they cut off live 2 sales to get everything to 4gb.. that is backwards and makes the x and keys less appealing.. but what did I know? Everybody kept saying the company must make money..yada yada.. but THIS is how you make money.. create new products without making current stuff obsolete!! That way everybody is happy and your not screwing over your loyal customers that paid money already.. they can make it back in content..
I guess I'm back team akai now.. I can respect this..

Because they would just come out with a live2 + As a business model that makes more sense since dumbasses would rebuy a live just for more ram :lol:

Or....
The whole mpc range start with 2gb models and then go to 4gb models of the same thing is just a made up idea from forum members reading way to too much into it? THIS generation of mpc is what it is.. they are 2gb as a base and the better newer expensive ones are 4gb but they are specialized and you will pay for that..? Maybe they're was never an order, just different features at different price points? In ten years or so they will eventually develop a new generation of mpc that is completely different and then they will start over filling in the different price points..

To me that makes way more sense.. from both a business side, and a love of mpc and it's history side.
By pedro_oliveira1993 Mon May 29, 2023 6:24 pm
jpeg wrote:
pedro_oliveira1993 wrote:The only way I can see some sense in this is if they are reorganizing the MPC products by tier.

The new One with this specs as the beginner entry model. Now with Wi-Fi because of the plugin activation.

A possible Live III with revised specs placing it in the intermediate model.

Possibly a new revamped X being the advanced model.

But this still placed the keys 61 in a weird spot.

Don't know. If its legit, it's super weird.

u say they are regorganising by teir but this release changes nothing everything was already organised by teir, they should of released the One with wifi orginally.

The X already has been revamed via the X SE; Samplekings has suggested that a Live 2+ may be on the cards, but Sample Kings was confused cos he suggested that all the new MPC's would be 4GB in prep for MPC 3.0; but that theory has now been debunked so we know that MPC 3.0 can be run on 2GB of RAM.

How is the MPC Keys in a weird spot? its at the same spec level as the MPC X

I'm not saying anything. I'm speculating on a scenario, trying to find some sense in this business choice.

I wouldn't put it past them to create a bigger rift specs-wise between every model in the MPC Line to improve the sellings points of higher end models with the argument of future proofing. Hence the different tiers idea. I can totally see the "Should I buy a 2GB Ram MPC One + or a 4GB Ram Live III/+ for more $300?" posts in r/mpcusers. Until recently you had different price points, different extras, but not different machines. It was mostly form factor and I/O. Would you be surprised if they added specs to that? I wouldn't.

I bet the One stole a lot of sales from the Live II. Makes total sense that the One has Wi-Fi because of the activation of plugins and all of that since it's the way they're going. It also makes sense if they drop a Live + with the 4GB of Ram because higher specs will probably make people spend the extra cash thinking it's better. Rinse and repeat with a new X. Happens with computers a lot. Bigger numbers must mean it's better, might as well.

And no, the X wasn't revamped via the SE. Officially it's a Special Edition, a collectors item, with better specs and a paint job, celebrating the 35 Years. The Talkbox guy said so himself. So I'm gonna treat it as such, even though I know that you're absolutely right and it's a Limited Edition my ass.

As for Samplekings and 3.0, not gonna comment. Today, we know nothing about a Live II+ or even the urban legend that is MPC 3.0.

Overall I think competition will force a revamp in the next few years. NI is probably not gonna be silent for much longer. Competition for the Keys 61 is very likely. Who knows if they drop a Maschine Studio + with better integration of the NI ecosystem as a direct challenger to the X. Push3 also brought some stuff to the table.

I'm happy with my Live and I can't think of anything that would make me want an upgraded version.
By Ultros Mon May 29, 2023 6:47 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:No battery mentioned and just 2GB of Ram.
So I just have to make this joke:

1 + … = 1

lol... if they gave it sata or something it wouldnt be as insulting but they probably just enabled two kernel modules (wifi/bt) used red plastic and called it a day.
By enzyme Mon May 29, 2023 7:01 pm
So Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 16gb onboard storage. As a One user I'm both disappointed and glad at the same time...

I'm sure I read somewhere that the internal storage is literally just a microSD card plugged internally. Having the extra space means the plugins can be stored internally, which in turn should fix the slow detection time (even though the MPC One has booted it takes some extra time to detect any expansions and plugins on the SD). Not much of a plus really... Yawn... :Sigh:
By EnochLight Mon May 29, 2023 7:41 pm
kja wrote:It's funny.. I got jumped on because of you look back, I said it will probably be 2gb and everybody said no way.. this makes sense to me because now it doesn't make the live 2 not current.. why would they cut off live 2 sales to get everything to 4gb.. that is backwards and makes the x and keys less appealing.. but what did I know? Everybody kept saying the company must make money..yada yada.. but THIS is how you make money.. create new products without making current stuff obsolete!! That way everybody is happy and your not screwing over your loyal customers that paid money already.. they can make it back in content..
I guess I'm back team akai now.. I can respect this..

Just to clarify - I didn't "jump on" you. I merely asked why you thought 4GB of RAM would be required for an alleged jump to 3.0, and you said to sell more hardware. My thoughts are - Akai has spent in inordinate amount of time and resources to build an infrastructure to sell optional downloadable content - to all MPC (and Force) owners, and it would make zero sense to instantly eliminate the Live, Live II, One, One+, and X (am I forgetting any? :lol: ) from running 3.0 and cutting off potential downloadable content sales, is all I'm saying. We're all good!
By TT_Lab Mon May 29, 2023 8:07 pm
I don't know you guys, but I have enough MPC with my OG One for at least 3 or 4 years more. I only need for them to make a couple of added features I already talked about some they in the past (mainly a more Maschine like browser) and some stability/bug fixes updates and I'm set.
By BeatWilson Mon May 29, 2023 9:25 pm
I dont know what Akai is thinking these days and I'm not sure I want to... lol.
Like what about the next X rendition? I assuming not for another 5 years? or they just gonna eventually release a red version with 4gb ram?

Its an odd move but I'm not surprised.
By johnnytravels Mon May 29, 2023 9:43 pm
Hey this leaked picture of the One specs is good news because now we can just not buy anything or something other that is actually interesting.
Akai may come up with a completely new generation of machines at some point in the future (or they may not) and you’re all wise to skip the first iteration of that future product because you now Akai will nickel and dime you on first gen.
At least that’s my opinion but I also use my One on 2.10 and like I used to use any prevMPC…
By Lunaman06 Mon May 29, 2023 10:37 pm
Ultros wrote:….
lol... if they gave it sata or something it wouldnt be as insulting but they probably just enabled two kernel modules (wifi/bt) used red plastic and called it a day.

I tend to agree and one would hope that in a future Firmware version this will get enabled one the original one as well. but likey not because It needs get registered as wireless device and need maybe an antenna internally.

But maybe some nifty hackers will figure something out for current MPC One Owners :roll: :popcorn:
By EnochLight Tue May 30, 2023 12:08 am
johnnytravels wrote:you’re all wise to skip the first iteration of that future product because you now Akai will nickel and dime you on first gen.
At least that’s my opinion but I also use my One on 2.10 and like I used to use any prevMPC…

MPC One (first gen) came out almost 3 & 1/2 years ago. Assuming someone bought it on Day 1 of release, would you agree that the last 3 & 1/2 years of production on said MPC One is worth far more than a nickel and a dime?

There will always be something “new” around the corner. Best to not wait and just buy what you want at that time and dive in without regret, IMHO.
By Ultros Tue May 30, 2023 4:05 am
lol man wtf... y'all got the weirdest justifications for accepting hardware you know deep down to be a bad deal. Folks try to explain their logic to me like it makes sense but its like a 5 year old explaining how the crayon got on the wall. "IT JUMPED FROM MY HAND AND DID A WRRRRP ON THE WALL!" and the worst part is that in their delusional minds it makes sense and that's the part that terrifies me... That we wont get any thing better because folks as the consumer have set the bar so low lacking intelligence or familiarity with the technology. I wont be buying another set of decks or a sampler from inmusic until theres been some leaps and bounds in technology and design. I really don't get the whole pathetic fan-boy culture surrounding a fkn beat machine.
By HouseWithoutMouse Tue May 30, 2023 6:04 am
That Sweetwater video is nice, the part where they show the chords mode is like a music education lesson. "You've heard people talk about things like two-five-one ... " :) Excellent.