MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jpeg Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:39 pm
its safe to say Jura is the most popular synth akai has release for mpc standalone; already and its only been out about a week, maybe OPX would of been more popular if it had been package in a dx7 type style, but its propably one of the worst looking synths interface wise on mpc.

mini d set the new standard for interface and that trend has continued with jura; I wonder what they will come up with next.

But i have to say the filter cut off and resonance on the Jura has great character; thats the main thing I judge a synth on as well as the general tone.

I will defo pick jura up when it goes on sale in bout 6 months
By SuperKonquer Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:19 pm
jpeg wrote:its safe to say Jura is the most popular synth akai has release for mpc standalone; already and its only been out about a week, maybe OPX would of been more popular if it had been package in a dx7 type style, but its propably one of the worst looking synths interface wise on mpc.

mini d set the new standard for interface and that trend has continued with jura; I wonder what they will come up with next.

What would be really nice if there were alternative skins. So if someone preferred a more vintage, modern or utilitarian look they could switch at the flip of a button. And maybe color adjustments. I know there are hacks to create your skin, but most people don't want to be bothered doing that.
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 pm
EnochLight wrote:That is not the reason.
:Sigh: :WTF:

Don't sigh and wtf so much. I was replying to a message, and it wasn't yours. HTH. HAND.
By joegrant413 Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:43 pm
In my initial tries with Jura, I couldn't hear anything happen with the "Analog" dial. Teefty & Memes YouTuber said the same.
By B-Wise Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 pm
joegrant413 wrote:In my initial tries with Jura, I couldn't hear anything happen with the "Analog" dial. Teefty & Memes YouTuber said the same.

Could be a bug, could be a sick joke :wink:
By jabberwalky Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 pm
Analog dial likely detunes each key in minuscule amounts, so if you were to play the same note 2-3 octaves apart you'd hear beating.
By bitermc Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:26 pm
B-Wise wrote:
jpeg wrote: I wonder what they will come up with next.

I hope they do one of the Prophets next & so we can feel like John Carpenter:
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/john-carpenter

Well, one thing I liked from Jura is that it can sound so Carpenter-ish.

But yes, a good prophet emulation would be great
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:13 am
I wish they'd beef up the drive saturation and analogue processing. It’s way too conservative, It could really bring out a different character on this synth.
By mpc_fan_2022 Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:31 am
jpeg wrote:mini d set the new standard for interface and that trend has continued with jura; I wonder what they will come up with next.

These interfaces are fancy but ultimately not practical for a touch screen, I wish there was a mode with sliders only for all these plugins. It makes more sense that knobs, so people can assign project wide qlinks to something else while they tweak the plugins.

Obviously the JURA does have sliders which makes it easier to tweak...

The OP4 might have been limited to 4 operators for CPU reasons. But even then, AKAI missed a good opportunity to allow DX100 patch import directly in standalone...
By jpeg Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:03 am
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:
jpeg wrote:mini d set the new standard for interface and that trend has continued with jura; I wonder what they will come up with next.

These interfaces are fancy but ultimately not practical for a touch screen, I wish there was a mode with sliders only for all these plugins. It makes more sense that knobs, so people can assign project wide qlinks to something else while they tweak the plugins.

Obviously the JURA does have sliders which makes it easier to tweak...

Now Akai have a good reason to add data sliders to the next MPC models; like how the 2500 had two data sliders that should be a feature in the next MPC models.
Last edited by jpeg on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:05 am
jpeg wrote:No Akai have a good reason to add data sliders to the next MPC models; like how the 2500 had two data sliders that should be a feature in the next MPC models.

The sliders even on the 1000 would better than none at all. There's certain movements you can't really do on knobs vs sliders. I love the crossfader on the Force. It can bring out another dimension of a sound that knobs just can't do. A new MPC should either a slider, crossfader or that new touch strip thing on the Keys 61. Luckily we have the touch screen, but it's not the same.
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:20 am
continues encoder knobs can pick up the position as soon as they are touched. Unless they are motorized, then sliders will have to pick up the data at the crossing point.

I like the touch screen sliders of the Jura, along side the q link knobs. I don't think physical sliders would be an advantage really

EDIT: Maybe continuous rollers would be the best of both worlds
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:16 am
Neodymium wrote:continues encoder knobs can pick up the position as soon as they are touched. Unless they are motorized, then sliders will have to pick up the data at the crossing point.

I like the touch screen sliders of the Jura, along side the q link knobs. I don't think physical sliders would be an advantage really

EDIT: Maybe continuous rollers would be the best of both worlds

Like on roll on deodorant :lol: maybe that would work, but the set limits of sliders are useful too like on the MC-707, so...
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:32 am
EDIT: Maybe scroll wheel is a better word for it
Like on a mouse, they can be clickable too, so dual function like the main data knob.

The Jura have 7 sets of q-links just on the synth engine alone, so having fader would mean every time you selected another set, they'd all be in the wrong position.

The bassstation 2 have both knobs and sliders. You can either set them so if the synth has a setting of say 42 of 127, then the knob/slider either: a does nothing until it reaches that position of 42, or b. as soon as it's moved the synth forgets 42 and jumps to the position. The LCD screen has a little up or down arrow telling you where the 42 is (or whatever the last position was)

Continuous knobs don't have this issue, nor do rollers