MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Neodymium Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:23 am
It's a different experience with a synth though. You can tune the whole patch to your taste. Samples are baked in, so then you'd need a whole batch of samples for different oscillator balances. And if there is modulation going on, these samples have to be longer too. You can tweak PWM in to taste, but with samples you can't
By pixie42 Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:34 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:
pixie42 wrote:I'm really in love with JURA. It is everything I was missing in the Live : A simple polyphonic analog emulation with all the classic sounds of the 80s right at my fingertips with a nice user interface. Presets are well programmed and really usable.

I'm 50 and I'm a sucker for the soundtrack of my childhood. Always chasing "this retro sound"

Is this really something that can't be done with samples and keygroups? If you just want to get an 80s sound.

I don't think so , I suppose you can achieve a great and convincing analog sound with a proper sample source sampled at different velocities, and a careful programing. But that would be very time consumming and memory hungry. Once you have assigned your keygroup, you won't be able to program it like a proper synth, and tweak it like it's meant to. On the other hand, keygroup and autosample feature are very convenient when you want to capture an already existing sound from a hardware synth or even a plugin. TBH I don't sample much if at all. I've never liked rompler poor attempts to create analog sounds. I really prefer the real deal or at least virtual analog. You might want to give JURA a free trial and make your opinion on that subject.
Last edited by pixie42 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
By pixie42 Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:54 am
jpeg wrote:interesting to see how much positive response to this Jura synth; it seems there is much more positive response to the Juno then there was to Mini D; is that cos the Jura is better then Mini D or is it cos Juno was better the and more influential then Moog?

I have not even bothered to try the Mini D, so I won't comment on its quality. All I can say, while being a legend, the minimoog is "only" a monophonic synth meant to play bassline or solo, with a strong late 70's vibe.
Junos are a bit different, with their very own sonic universe attached to it, which is really 80s flavored. This sound has really defined an era, and a multi-tracked juno could compose entire LP back in the days. Italo disco songs where full of Junos 60.

I have owned (and stupidly sold) 2 Juno 106 a long time ago, they now have skyrocketed, I've only bought back an alpha Juno 1 out of nostalgia so I'm a bit familiar with these synths, (never had the chance to play a 60 though). I must admit JURA has really nailed the sonic identities of these synths.JURA also goes way beyond by adding velocities, effects, and 2nd envelop. As I was classical piano trained in my youth, adding velocity is a blessing in term of expressivness... at 75€ it's a no brainer for me.
By Zack Zerox Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 am
pixie42 wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Is this really something that can't be done with samples and keygroups? If you just want to get an 80s sound.

I don't think so , I suppose you can achieve a great and convincing analog sound with a proper sample source sampled at different velocities, and a careful programing. But that would be very time consumming and memory hungry. Once you have assigned your keygroup, you won't be able to program it like a proper synth, and tweak it like it's meant to. On the other hand, keygroup and autosample feature are very convenient when you want to capture an already existing sound from a hardware synth or even a plugin. TBH I don't sample much if at all. I've never liked rompler poor attempts to create analog sounds. I really prefer the real deal or at least virtual analog. You might want to give JURA a free trial and make your opinion on that subject.

I was thinking the same thing. There are some great sample packs and keygroups out there (F9 Audio's 80s-themed packs for example, as well as the excellent ones available here of course) but personally I find using them time-consuming and clunky - loading keygroups into memory, seeing if they fit, loading another, trying to remember how to properly purge the ones you don't want so as not to eat the memory up. Whereas all these synth/instrument plugins allow for tweaking without having to derail myself with any of that., and just get on with music.
By EnochLight Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:52 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:
pixie42 wrote:I'm really in love with JURA. It is everything I was missing in the Live : A simple polyphonic analog emulation with all the classic sounds of the 80s right at my fingertips with a nice user interface. Presets are well programmed and really usable.

I'm 50 and I'm a sucker for the soundtrack of my childhood. Always chasing "this retro sound"

Is this really something that can't be done with samples and keygroups? If you just want to get an 80s sound.

If you want a faint echo, a ghost in the shell? Absolutely! But if you want a truly effective Juno emulation that not only sounds great, but feels great (and looks great), then no - Keygroups or samples aren’t even close.
By Neodymium Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:11 pm
pixie42 wrote:Junos are a bit different, with their very own sonic universe attached to it, which is really 80s flavored.

It's also a key synth in 90's dance music, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim ,Prodigy, ran it through stomp boxes, Royksopp, Daft Punk,had tjem in the early 2000. They were a big part of 90 trance and house music. RnB and Hip.

It's great at 80's music, but it's not confined to it
By Lampdog Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:22 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:Whereas all these synth/instrument plugins allow for tweaking without having to derail myself with any of that., and just get on with music.
By pixie42 Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:46 pm
Neodymium wrote:
pixie42 wrote:Junos are a bit different, with their very own sonic universe attached to it, which is really 80s flavored.

It's also a key synth in 90's dance music, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim ,Prodigy, ran it through stomp boxes, Royksopp, Daft Punk,had tjem in the early 2000. They were a big part of 90 trance and house music. RnB and Hip.

It's great at 80's music, but it's not confined to it

You're more than correct. I am biased because I have listened way too much 80s music. As you said juno where often modified with stompboxes and effects in the 90s, my ears where simply unable to spot them.
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:18 pm
I meant if you use it as a preset playback machine to get an 80s sound, is it much different from using sample presets. If the reason is, browsing and loading keygroup programs is too much trouble... There must be something wrong with Akai's bread-and-butter sample playback feature. And if that really makes them sell more paid plugins, then isn't that kind of a perverted incentive to keep those features bad?

Maybe they should start selling subscription based bug fixes. If you stop paying, the bugs come back.
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:55 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:but personally I find using them time-consuming and clunky - loading keygroups into memory, seeing if they fit, loading another, trying to remember how to properly purge the ones you don't want so as not to eat the memory up. .

Don't forget the undo button. So, load the keygroup, have a play, if you don't like it, hit undo and both the program and its samples will be removed from memory. No need to delete and purge.
By bitermc Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:10 pm
Bought it after playing with the demo for 20 minutes. Great emulation, with a lot of potential. I just love it.
By polysci Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:12 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:I think there is some kind of bug in 2.11 regarding WIFI. My Wifi stopped working after I installed it and I didn't bother sussing it out until after I bought Jura. When I upgraded through pc update mode, my MPCX said it was on 2.12 firmware. On 2.12 my wifi still wasn't working and Jura was not present.

I tried reinstalling 2.12 a few times but still no Jura and no wifi. I downgraded to back to 2.11 and still no wifi. I downgraded to 2.10 and my wifi was working perfectly. From 2.10, I upgraded to 2.12 and Jura appeared and wifi was working fine.

So possibly there is some kind of bug in 2.11 messing with the wifi. Or maybe I had a corrupted upgrade. Anyone having the same issue should try a downgrade first, instead of spending 2 hours taking apart your machine, to see if any cables were lose or the wifi antenna was bad, like I did.

interesting, thanks. i'll post my results if i give that a try.
By polysci Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:13 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:I'm seeing a lot of people's posting about WIfi not even seeing any networks. What happens is as soon as you turn WIFI on, it greys out and it doesn't even bothering searching for any networks. This is what was happening in my case. Some people are not even getting any option to forget the networks because the WIFI page is frozen until you switch to another menu.

yes, same here.
By EnochLight Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:47 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I meant if you use it as a preset playback machine to get an 80s sound, is it much different from using sample presets.

Yes, it is very different.

HouseWithoutMouse wrote:If the reason is, browsing and loading keygroup programs is too much trouble... There must be something wrong with Akai's bread-and-butter sample playback feature.

That is not the reason.

HouseWithoutMouse wrote:And if that really makes them sell more paid plugins, then isn't that kind of a perverted incentive to keep those features bad?

Maybe they should start selling subscription based bug fixes. If you stop paying, the bugs come back.

:Sigh: :WTF:
By Zack Zerox Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:08 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Zack Zerox wrote:but personally I find using them time-consuming and clunky - loading keygroups into memory, seeing if they fit, loading another, trying to remember how to properly purge the ones you don't want so as not to eat the memory up. .

Don't forget the undo button. So, load the keygroup, have a play, if you don't like it, hit undo and both the program and its samples will be removed from memory. No need to delete and purge.

Top tip! Don't know why that's never occurred to me, thanks!