MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:23 am
Neodymium wrote:EDIT: Maybe scroll wheel is a better word for it
Like on a mouse, they can be clickable too, so dual function like the main data knob.

The Jura have 7 sets of q-links just on the synth engine alone, so having fader would mean every time you selected another set, they'd all be in the wrong position.

The bassstation 2 have both knobs and sliders. You can either set them so if the synth has a setting of say 42 of 127, then the knob/slider either: a does nothing until it reaches that position of 42, or b. as soon as it's moved the synth forgets 42 and jumps to the position. The LCD screen has a little up or down arrow telling you where the 42 is (or whatever the last position was)

Continuous knobs don't have this issue, nor do rollers

I get that, but I'm talking about it as a performance tool, the slider is better for certain things. That's why I love the crossfader on the Force, it can act like a slider if needed & you may or not know that there's 16 scenes of crossfaders macros on the Force & all can be assigned to different parameters. So that 1 crossfader can be used by 16 different tracks/pads & more per project, but only 1 channel can control it at a time, but each set can control I think 128 parameters or mod slots at once per side A/B of the each crossfader.

From page 272 on the Force manual:

There are 16 available crossfader scenes, which can be selected using the Mode field at the top left of the screen. Each scene can be assigned to one or more parameters. To change crossfader scenes directly from the hardware, press and hold Assign A and then press Assign B to move to the next scene. To move to the previous scene, press and hold Assign B and then press Assign A.

To learn a parameter to the crossfader:
1. Make sure Force is not currently in playback.

2. Select the parameter you would like to assign to the crossfader. Any available parameter, including Track, Pad, Keygroup, Insert, Return, Submix or Main Output parameters, can be selected as part of a macro control.

3. Hold down either the Assign A or Assign B buttons on Force, and then move any parameter on the touchscreen. When holding Assign A, the parameter will be assigned to the crossfader with the minimum value to the left side and the maximum value to the right side. When holding Assign B, the parameter will be reversed with the maximum value on the left side and the minimum value on the right side.

To edit the crossfader assignment, press and hold Edit and then press Assign A or Assign B. This will take you to the Crossfader tab of the Macros page, where you can use the instructions above to edit the assignment.
By EnochLight Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:34 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Don't sigh and wtf so much. I was replying to a message, and it wasn't yours. HTH. HAND.

I will sigh and wtf all day and night to you or anyone who dares suggest “subscription bug fixes” is even remotely a solution to anything. :nod: :lol:

Back on topic - Jura rocks. :smoker:
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:09 pm
EnochLight wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Don't sigh and wtf so much. I was replying to a message, and it wasn't yours. HTH. HAND.

I will sigh and wtf all day and night to you or anyone who dares suggest “subscription bug fixes” is even remotely a solution to anything. :nod: :lol:

Back on topic - Jura rocks. :smoker:

Pass that shit :smoker: :lol:
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:15 pm
B-Wise wrote:I get that, but I'm talking about it as a performance tool, the slider is better for certain things. .

OK, but how does that help playing with Jura?
By Ultros Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:40 pm
EnochLight wrote:I will sigh and wtf all day and night to you or anyone who dares suggest “subscription bug fixes” is even remotely a solution to anything.

^ this right here. Gtfo here with that "subscription" stuff! What kinda sadist would beg for pain?. Picture these folks in germany circa 1938 "well i dont see any problem here it's for our benefit!" These are the very people who erode society with their willingness to be taken for a punk. Jura is dope. heh
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:38 pm
Neodymium wrote:
B-Wise wrote:I get that, but I'm talking about it as a performance tool, the slider is better for certain things. .

OK, but how does that help playing with Jura?

When you assign parameters to sliders you can perform different movements that's not really doable on knobs.
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:03 pm
I'm still not following. apart from have the disadvantage that when you select a parameter, the slider has a fixed range where a continuous knob does not, so it either has to pick up, or jump to the sliders position, you can assign more than one knob to a macro. The Hydrasynth has 8 macro knobs, that can have different ranges assign to them at the same time.

Can you give me an example where this applies to the Jura, maybe I'll get it then.

EDIT: Just remembered the OPX4 has about 8 macro knobs too
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:22 pm
I'm about talking using them as performance tools like if you set the cutoff to a knob vs a slider/crossfader the type of hand movements & the way you mess with it will be different & both have pro's & cons. That's why I said I like the Force 1 crossfader approach & its 2 banks of 8 endless encoders are more useful to me than 8 sliders like on the MC707 with it 3 non-endless knobs. If Roland had made them endless it would've open that box up lot...oh, well that's what a BCR2000 is for I guess.
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:32 pm
Sorry I had you all back to front. I associate crossfaders with sliders, from dj Mixers. I thought you were saying you wanted sliders

The force's encoders are just the same as the q-links right?
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:02 pm
Neodymium wrote:Sorry I had you all back to front. I associate crossfaders with sliders, from dj Mixers. I thought you were saying you wanted sliders

The force's encoders are just the same as the q-links right?

I was saying I want at least 1 slider or crossfader.
Yes the Force knobs are the same, but it also has a crossfader which lets me perform in ways I can't, even with endless encoders. Do you copy?
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:19 pm
With you now.

Although personally there's nothing a slider really brings to the table for me on a software synth. On hardware it's a great visual representation of a synths configuration. But that doesn't apply to software as a change in function selection means the positions are irrelevant. The other advantage is what a decent DJ is good at, and that and that's swift changes back a fourth. I can't see a need for that on a Juno emulations.
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:43 pm
Neodymium wrote:With you now.

Although personally there's nothing a slider really brings to the table for me on a software synth. On hardware it's a great visual representation of a synths configuration. But that doesn't apply to software as a change in function selection means the positions are irrelevant. The other advantage is what a decent DJ is good at, and that and that's swift changes back a fourth. I can't see a need for that on a Juno emulations.

Ok you got me. Now, it wouldn't just be for the Jura, but like I said it offers a different style of hand movements that that can't be done with a knob & you not seeing a need for that is your limitation or just not your style of music..
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:49 pm
horizonal sliders are great for transitioning between 2 sounds. But man, w@nking a synth parameter away like it's a guitar solo is s**te no mater the genre for me.

Case in point, Josh Wink's Higher state of intelligence = worst acid track of all time. :lol:
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:54 pm
Neodymium wrote:horizonal sliders are great for transitioning between 2 sounds. But man, w@nking a synth parameter away like it's a guitar solo is s**te no mater the genre for me.

Case in point, Josh Wink's Higher state of intelligence = worst acid track of all time. :lol:

It's nice for riding parameters as well.
By bitermc Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:57 pm
Neodymium wrote:Case in point, Josh Wink's Higher state of intelligence = worst acid track of all time. :lol:

Amen. I never understood such a success for that mediocre track.