MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:00 am
Wow, 3 pages so far & everyone is in agreement on this site, doesn't happen much, but when it does it a beautiful thing to witness. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By pedro_oliveira1993 Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:42 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcusers/comme ... _are_your/

A lot of guys seem to be in sync in wanting thoughts.....

Buy everything, own nothing.

I don't get it. Reminds me of an episode of a Netflix show where guys would go to a weirdass canibal forum offer themselves to be murdered and eaten. It's masochism.

Hey capitalism, please take advantage of me. Constantly having new shit thrown at my face isn't getting the job done anymore. How about you still do that, but then charge me monthly for the features I wanted when I bought the product in the first place.

I don't get it. Must be some post-modern capitalism loving cuckolding kink.
By bitermc Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:44 am
I just came to join the choir and say it's a shitty idea. Call me crazy, but I just like paying for a device ONCE and keeping it for years. I don't need an endless flow of new features.

In fact, I think it kills creativity because the time and mental space I spend browsing what's new and feeding my GAS, I should be spending it on real musical activities like composing, producing, learning, rehearsing, practicing...
By Uncle Dieppe Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:42 pm
New plug ins …yes I don’t mind paying as and when they’re released,I choose to purchase or not,this doesn’t make the machine redundant if I choose not to buy plug ins/Sound engines

Subscription based updates to the OS…,no…if Akai can keep churning out the same old hardware with barely any improvements then I’m sure they can offer software updates for free,if they expect me to subscribe to a software business model to keep a hardware machine current then I’ll happily stick with what it has to offer up till that point.The MPC OS as it stands will give me many hours of joy,I still use my age old 4K and love it as it is.

Expecting me to fork out a massive chunk of money for a hardware based machine which commands a hefty price anyway (ie key 61)then keep it current with monthly subscriptions to the software then Akai and I will part company.

I don’t want to pay to rent it,just to keep it updated,Reason studios did this and I refuse to be bullied into keeping the platform afloat because of subscriptions after outlaying for updates since V2,sometimes I would skip a few updates so it wasn’t a constant outlay however I ditched it after buying Reason suite,since they went with the + model subscription there is more than enough inside the platform as it is for my needs I don’t need a monthly subscription to be trendy and cool to to stay current.I don’t use it enough to warrant it anyway .so Reason can shove the subscription and also there overpriced upgrades which almost doubled….No thanks

Akai will lose a lot of users if they do the same for the OS it’s not what you invest in hardware for to be drip fed software updates at a cost,that is a bad business model and only signifies the company are financially struggling if they need a subscription to keep something afloat

I highly doubt Akai are in that financial position with the amount of rehashed hardware they keep churning out,they will piss a whole load of hardcore users off if they can only use certain features unless they pay for updates not only that but your going to find a whole lot of disgruntled users based on the constant bugs,it will have to be absolutely bullet proof for subscribers to be happy
By noelcampbelljnr Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:37 pm
Please tell me the original poster is an employee of Akai. Why would you purchase a x or live for in excess of 1K and then be levelled with a monthly subscription fee to have the privilege to use it. Makes zero sense. I would leave the Akai eco system and platform immediately...It's not a fully-fledged DAW in a real sense and it's not what you purchased. You are purchasing standalone hardware with an operating system....Are you saying you buy the hardware and then you are stuck with the operating system at purchase date unless you subscribe...its a crazy idea.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:45 pm
Content subscription could be possible (plugins, expansions etc), the problem is, where are they going to draw the line between what they decide to release as paid and free features. Would Muther Ducker, Drum Synth or Odyssey be free plugins if they were released today? Will the arranger only be available via subscription? More advanced keygroup features locked away in a premium Kontakt-style plugin?
By 83dude Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:51 pm
Can‘t you all be quiet? You‘re just giving them ideas! :WTF: :-D
By SakisX Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:05 pm
I'd pay for OS updates (new features) but not plugins and certainly not subscription based .
That way Akai could focus on workflow improvements , maybe gathering feedback and post a survey for choosing most wanted features , happy users and akai makes money ...
Subscription requires top notch quality , it would be funny if Akai goes that way , but I think MPC Software already had it as an option and they realised it's not a valid profitable option
By mpc_fan_2022 Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:21 pm
Some people here are completely deluded if they think yet another subscription scheme means significant OS improvements.

If anything, all these cloud offering at Adobe, Maxon, and others have demonstrated that cloud subscriptions do not improve products, it just makes these products bloated, more instable, more buggy, with more useless functions that are easy to market in order to sell more subscriptions but fundamentally broken.

It's literally late stage capitalism here, or it's a ploy by AKAI to incept the idea of a cloud subscription fee on that forum... This stupid idea comes up regularly on that forum

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=213956
By EnochLight Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:29 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:It's literally late stage capitalism here

Thankfully, capitalism brought you the original MPC, and continues to bring you MPC updates. :nod: :lol:
By mpc_fan_2022 Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 pm
EnochLight wrote:
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:It's literally late stage capitalism here

Thankfully, capitalism brought you the original MPC, and continues to bring you MPC updates. :nod: :lol:

Look up what the expression "late stage capitalism" means. Roger Linn and his craftmanship that brought us the MPC line have nothing to do with the kind of Gonzo capitalism InMusic practices.

Well actually, maybe InMusic could put all that "subscription fee" to good use and pay the guy the money he is owed... :lol:
By zangetsu01 Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 pm
So a Akai really thinks that with the latest updates they have rolled out stable versions? And decided to send out a scout to test the water and see if the community will adapt to a new business model.

They need to train their scouts a bit more before sending them into the lion cave.. (This one barely survived)

Those weak powers of such a low power level won’t work against us..

Better luck next time Ginyu Force.. I mean Akai Force scout..
By Ultros Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:14 am
Neodymium wrote:And may milk forever be put in your mug, before the teabag!

You monster. We have the geneva convention because of people like you! hehe