MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JRTV Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:10 pm
Do you guys leave your Live 2 plugged in?.. Some say treat it like a phone and even though you’re near a plug, use it on battery and let it go down to 20% and charge it up to 80% and repeat.

Or do some of you recommend to always use it plugged in when you’re near a plug and use the battery when you’re not near a plug?
By Monotremata Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:49 pm
My original Live has been plugged in almost the whole 4 years I've owned it. I used to run it on the battery until I had to plug it in just to keep it 'healthy' but quickly realized, I was never going to move the Live around like I thought I might and its always lived in its spot in the center of my desk.

Last time I unplugged it was probably last August when we moved and I had to.
By JRTV Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:53 pm
Monotremata wrote:My original Live has been plugged in almost the whole 4 years I've owned it. I used to run it on the battery until I had to plug it in just to keep it 'healthy' but quickly realized, I was never going to move the Live around like I thought I might and its always lived in its spot in the center of my desk.

Do you think your battery is still strong and will last a couple hours if you wanted to?
By J.O.BEATS Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:26 am
My OG live (bought first week of release) started losing its ability to hold a charge the past year and doesn’t last more than 30 minutes now.

I never paid attention to preserving the battery. It stayed plugged in when not being used.
By 40Beatz Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:14 pm
JRTV wrote:
Monotremata wrote:My original Live has been plugged in almost the whole 4 years I've owned it. I used to run it on the battery until I had to plug it in just to keep it 'healthy' but quickly realized, I was never going to move the Live around like I thought I might and its always lived in its spot in the center of my desk.

Do you think your battery is still strong and will last a couple hours if you wanted to?

He got bout 8 minutes on the Battery :lol:
By Monotremata Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:12 pm
40Beatz wrote:He got bout 8 minutes on the Battery :lol:

Cats woke me up at like 6 so I aint got shit to do haha. Fired it up like 5 minutes ago, so far down 4% but Im also just leaving it sitting there while Im playing on the internet hah. CPU is at 3% with no tracks or anything loaded too. If the misses wasn't still asleep I could play with a project. Gotta plug it back in to update it for more disappointment so I'll check it later when I can be loud and actually use it hehe.
By EnochLight Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:52 pm
JRTV wrote:Do you guys leave your Live 2 plugged in?.. Some say treat it like a phone and even though you’re near a plug, use it on battery and let it go down to 20% and charge it up to 80% and repeat.

Or do some of you recommend to always use it plugged in when you’re near a plug and use the battery when you’re not near a plug?

Nope - definitely not. Keeping a lithium-ion battery at a constant 100% charge will drastically reduce its life. I leave mine unplugged and let it discharge down to 20-30% and only charge it to 100% if I’m taking it out of the studio. My Live II is over 3 years old and the battery still lasts over 5 hours outside the studio.
By Telefunky Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:40 pm
It depends on quality: both battery and battery management ;)
Both my iPad One and Two have been sitting powered constantly on an ioDock for years each.
Iirc last full charge was about 3 weeks ago, both idling since then, capacity 86 and 88%.

I bought a cheap iPhone 3gs to replace the battered backside of my own. Seller said it had a new battery inside, but other that that he didn‘t know anything about it.
Did the swap, all fine, battery seemed good, but I forgot the cam connector during reassembly. So I had to open it again... :WTF: which turned out a lucky inconvenience.
The replacement battery had swollen to a frightening amount... :shock:

The local store ordered a „new“ one and I got the exact same model that had been in my phone before (plain chance). This battery has spent at least 8 years on a shelf, but still powers the phone reliably for 2 days since a couple of years.

I don‘t expect an even remotely similar performance from any powerbank or „regular“ battery...
By Monotremata Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:06 pm
Ive left mine on all morning since I posted around 7am hah. It's 11:05 right now, it's at 18%, not too bad for never using it unplugged. But keep in mind, Im not doing anything with it, Im playing on the computer while it's just sitting here (and left it running when I dropped off my car to get the brakes done earlier). Still about a 4 hour standby time after 4 years. Gonna guess that would cut down to about 2 hrs if I was actually working on it.