MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:49 am
elstebbano wrote:+1 for a 303

With the TD-3 being so cheap and available, personably I'd prioritise other options before a 303.

If they did do a 303, I';d like it to be an extended version more in the vane of the Devilfish mods. In default positions it should 100% sound like a 303 and be based on it's architecture, fliter, and keeping it simple. But then have options beyond that.

Morphing oscillator between saw and square. (my old MAM Freebase 383 had is such a nice addition instead of switching between the 2 options)
2nd detunable Morphing Oscillator that can also be used as Sub (not and a sub ,K.I.S.S.)
Option to decouple the filter decay from the amp decay and have deferent filter decays for the main and accent notes.
Filter Tracking
Glide time control.
Filter FM (this is not the same as FM syntheses, but where the filter is modulated like with an LFO at audio rate, but source being the oscillator, and in this version that could be Oscillator 2)

I personally don't see the need for synths to need an fx section when there are fx built in to the MPC already, but if they did, then a good range of drives aimed at the 303 sound such as the metal zone, the Rat, fuzz, some unusual option like wave folding could be nice. And a pre distortion EQ (maybe a simple Tilt EQ) instead of a muffler.

I think that would be my dream 303 - modded out

But it should 100% sound like a 303 if the mods are not being used.

EDIT: and all these synths controls should be on one screen, and the FX on another ( I count 14 knobs, so TILT (EQ and Drive would make 16 - Perfect)

P.S. I got way too emotionally invest in the post :lol:

By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:20 am
B-Wise wrote:With Akai's last bunch of synth proved they can make quality plugins. So what would you guys like to them make next?

Here are some ideas, each is very different sounding:
-Prophet (no 1 in particular).
-MS-20
-TB-303
-CS-80

Edited:
Please keep your requests focused on synth emulations of classics, so nothing pass the 90s. Any more modern synths suggestions or requests for an original synths should be put in another thread. Thank you.

Any idea for modern synth made in pass the 90s or requests for an original Akai synth please post it here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=216021
Last edited by B-Wise on Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:29 am
Neodymium wrote:
elstebbano wrote:+1 for a 303

With the TD-3 being so cheap and available, personably I'd prioritise other options before a 303.

I love your 303 ideas & know that their cheap, but It would be so convenient to have it built in with all the dope ideas you mentioned as well as whatever Akiai comes up & then finish it off with user feedback & requests. Plus if it was standalone, we could use 8x303s at the sametime...like JLP would say: "AMAZING!" :lol:
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:33 am
bitermc wrote:
joegrant413 wrote:Prophet 5

Yes.

A 303 attempt is already included, it's called bassline and it mostly sucks.

Did anybody else think Bassline was 303 emulation? - I know I didn't get that memo. Also Bassline is cool if you use right.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:51 am
B-Wise wrote:
-MS-20

If Akai/inMusic can outdo the Kronos2 iteration (which I doubt) I’ll buy it.
I use this on Kronos2 ALOT. Not learned up on modular enough, but, dragging and dropping cables around on the touch screen is fun.

By Lampdog Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:53 am
B-Wise wrote:Also Bassline is cool if you use right.

This.
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:09 am
Lampdog wrote:
B-Wise wrote:Also Bassline is cool if you use right.

This.

Some want too much from everything. Like how much & what do you expect from a synth called plain ol' Bassline. :hmmm: :lol:
Don't sleep on it's ability to morph between its wave shape or the nasty sounds you can get from it's drive settings - that where it's magic is at. Still proper expectations & knowledge of synthesis is key with all synths but especially 1 called Bassline. Thinking of unique way to use the fxs wouldn't hurt either.

I think Bassline "basicness" is what makes it the perfect synth for an MPC head that's been conditioned to see limits as optional. Your YMMV tho. :nod:
By B-Wise Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:16 am
Lampdog wrote:
B-Wise wrote:
-MS-20

If Akai/inMusic can outdo the Kronos2 iteration (which I doubt) I’ll buy it.
I use this on Kronos2 ALOT. Not learned up on modular enough, but, dragging and dropping cables around on the touch screen is fun.

OPX-4 paved the way for showing that complex synthesis can be done on the MPC/Force, so bring the pain like Method Man!
By jpeg Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:08 am
Neodymium wrote:
BKLYN wrote:I don't want to accidentally void my Beta Testing agreement with Akai, so I will say this. I think it would be excellent for Air Music Tech to develop more original synthesizers for the MPC. I like their analog models, but let's get more new ideas going...

I like having the Odyssey, Mini D and Juno, available. But I the OPX4 offers something different. I hope Akai doesn't just go down a road of replicating poly synths from the 80's and 90 and, looks at ways of really expanding the palette of sounds available.

everbody else want more retro synths; as u can se how popular JURA; I promise u Akai sold more Jura then they did the OPX, so Akai will follow the money.
By Dirk_K Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:35 am
Would definitely love to see a vocoder/string ensemble-inspired plug-in, something based on a vco poly synth, and something based on a wavetable osc -> analog filter design.

Those would be my preferred vintage emulations.
By Neodymium Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:43 am
Dirk_K wrote:Would definitely love to see a vocoder/string ensemble-inspired plug-in, something based on a vco poly synth, and something based on a wavetable osc -> analog filter design.

Those would be my preferred vintage emulations.

We have the Solina String ensemble already. I think a vocoder they are quite CPU hungry. It would be great if they did, but I'd imagine it would be a limited bandwith version. Not sure how Microfreak squeezed one in there, but it only has 3 controls.