MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:02 pm
With Akai's last bunch of synth emulations they've proved they can make quality plugins. So what would you guys like to them make next?

Here are some ideas, each is very different sounding:
-Prophet (no 1 in particular).
-MS-20
-TB-303
-CS-80
By mrmarbury Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:15 pm
MS-20 would be nice. But I am always a bit vary when it comes to analog emulations. Any cheap analog synth sounds so much better than a digital emulation. Maybe they bring a Korg MS 2000 or they Team with Waldorf and bring a Blofeld or PPG or something?
By B-Wise Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:28 pm
mrmarbury wrote:MS-20 would be nice. But I am always a bit vary when it comes to analog emulations. Any cheap analog synth sounds so much better than a digital emulation. Maybe they bring a Korg MS 2000 or they Team with Waldorf and bring a Blofeld or PPG or something?

PPG would nice!
By mrmarbury Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:05 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:AKAI should open source their OS and let anybody program their own plugins.

I like that idea. But then I am a software engineer with a lot of open source project experience. So I know the true value of open source
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:05 am
Microfreak

Actually not a Microfreak, but something taking lessons from the Microfreak.

What I'd think would be most useful to me is a semi modular, but I think it's needs some constraints to work in a standalone. The microfreak has found a useful way to do this. It has a large range of oscillator types, and using a modulation matrix, instead of patch cables in a fixed architecture format. I think something like that could work really well. Microfreak is now ion V5, they keep adding oscillators. Akai, could create an initial plugin, and then sell modules.

The most popular module in modular world is Mutable Instruments, which is based on 8 synthesis types. They made it open source, so there are a number of copies that you can buy, so no feathers would be ruffled.

Complex Oscillators are a really big thing, this is where there are 2 oscillators and they can cross modulate each other in different ways to create all sorts on complex tones. And also be modulated by the envelopes and LFOs

Wavetables seem very much the synthesis of now, and I've seen so many posts one the forum where some one has suggested a wavetable synth with user tables.

The synth doesn't need to be super complex, with say 5-6 modules (I'm thinking of the Flavour Pro layout here) and the first being a switchable oscillator, you could have a super flexible synth.
Oscillator
2 cycling envelopes
3 LFOs
Wavefolder, distortion and saturation (and mixer if they were able to make it 2 oscillator and that would make it a monster)
Dual multimode Filter
Last edited by Neodymium on Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:09 am
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:AKAI should open source their OS and let anybody program their own plugins.

I know, I said something too shocking and revolutionary for that place...

Following from my above post, they could make the oscillators open source.
By BKLYN Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:01 am
I don't want to accidentally void my Beta Testing agreement with Akai, so I will say this. I think it would be excellent for Air Music Tech to develop more original synthesizers for the MPC. I like their analog models, but let's get more new ideas going...
By Neodymium Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:17 am
BKLYN wrote:I don't want to accidentally void my Beta Testing agreement with Akai, so I will say this. I think it would be excellent for Air Music Tech to develop more original synthesizers for the MPC. I like their analog models, but let's get more new ideas going...

I like having the Odyssey, Mini D and Juno, available. But I the OPX4 offers something different. I hope Akai doesn't just go down a road of replicating poly synths from the 80's and 90 and, looks at ways of really expanding the palette of sounds available.