MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:39 am
Neodymium wrote:I thought you wanted pre 90's synths discussed on the other thread and you made this thread to discuss modern synths.

Right. I got mixed up. Hopefully 1 of mods can move it to the vintage thread.
By jpeg Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:04 am

got say these Akai synths sounded good; hopefully if they do add them to MPC they can take care to get the tonal quality right, cos most of the on board synths still have that VST sound; in fact most software synths still have that flat tone, the only synth that I can say got it right is the softtube Juno that really has some warmth to it; most other emulations always lack this.
By B-Wise Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:08 pm
jpeg wrote:

got say these Akai synths sounded good; hopefully if they do add them to MPC they can take care to get the tonal quality right, cos most of the on board synths still have that VST sound; in fact most software synths still have that flat tone, the only synth that I can say got it right is the softtube Juno that really has some warmth to it; most other emulations always lack this.

OK, but like it was pointed out to me the 2 synths that you mentioned should've been posted in the vintage synth thread since they both were made before the 2000s. Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=216020&start=15#p1866108
By EnochLight Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:38 pm
Jeruro wrote:
e-smile-z wrote:Just port air hybrid 3 :worthy:

I like the idea of porting Hybrid 3 and it should be easier than building a new synth. It sounds good and is very usable for a lot of electronic styles.

Someone at AIR/Akai should definitely read this thread.

Alas, literally no one from Akai/InMusic comes here anymore. Not sure if they ever did. Best way to get feature requests to Akai is to contact them direct or join the closed (public) beta program, IMHO.

Also, I agree that Hybrid 3 would make a *GREAT* MPC/Force standalone synth. It's a super light plugin and could easily run on the standalone hardware, and it still sounds great.
By jpeg Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:00 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Alas, literally no one from Akai/InMusic comes here anymore. Not sure if they ever did. Best way to get feature requests to Akai is to contact them direct or join the closed (public) beta program, IMHO.

Also, I agree that Hybrid 3 would make a *GREAT* MPC/Force standalone synth. It's a super light plugin and could easily run on the standalone hardware, and it still sounds great.

based upon this dem hybrid sound exactly like tube synth; and or any other generic vst, so not sure what the hype or interest is in this synth, seems very basic and generic in its sound.

I still say xpand 2 would be more usefulas fabric xl and hype synth are very limited romplers

By jpeg Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:18 pm
B-Wise wrote:
jpeg wrote:

OK, but like it was pointed out to me the 2 synths that you mentioned should've been posted in the vintage synth thread since they both were made before the 2000s. Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=216020&start=15#p1866108

yeah i forgot bout that other threat and think it was a pointless idea to sperate the vintage from modern as a synth is a synth it either sounds good or it dont regardless of when it was made
By Neodymium Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 pm
When you model an vintage synth you are trying to emulate that and you are restricted by it's architecture. A new synth doesn't need to be based on anything, just getting the best out of synthesis types that are available.

I don't se akai modelling their old Vintage models, because there isn't a demand for them, they weren't that successful. Unlike the Juno, Model D, Odyssey, Prophet, Jupitor, 303 and 101. People want these sounds, and they'd get a return on the investment.

Acoustic modeling offers something very different and it's not vintage, Chromophone by AAS is one of their best, and now reason has a version.

Fors have just made Opal, a percussion synth for Abelton, and that offers a new approach not based on vintage synth, which Drumsynth is. That could make a make a really nice addition that compliments Drumsynth.

Wavetable syntheses is great for more modern sounds, and although there were vintage synths, VSts like Serum and Vital aren't based on them. I suggested Vital, not a model of Vital, but as it's just one guy, get him in to make a vital for standalone. But as Tutor pointed out, this could just be an engine within the sampler, and the same goes for Granular.

I personally wouldn't be very excited about any of the Air analogs being ported over.
By B-Wise Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:17 pm
jpeg wrote:yeah i forgot bout that other threat and think it was a pointless idea to sperate the vintage from modern as a synth is a synth it either sounds good or it dont regardless of when it was made

It was done that way because one is just for emulations remakes like Jura & Odyssey that Akai could do next, so that info can be easily found in 1 place. Where as this thread is for more general synth requests or any ideas for original/modern synths.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but please try to understand that separate threads allows for better user experience when looking for information. I foresaw that both threads would attract multiple types of ppl & both threads could & will go in very different directions & it will be bests to have them separate so everything ain't all over the place.

You may still disagree with the reasoning, but please respect the intent of the OP. Thank you.
By Koekepan Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:56 pm
spectral synthesis: check out zynaddsubfx, or also the spectral module in sunvox.

vocal synthesis: Casio's CT-S1000V is the recent one, but of course there are many software options.
By B-Wise Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:26 pm
Koekepan wrote:spectral synthesis: check out zynaddsubfx, or also the spectral module in sunvox.

vocal synthesis: Casio's CT-S1000V is the recent one, but of course there are many software options.

Thanks I'll watch them later.
By EnochLight Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:37 am
jpeg wrote:based upon this dem hybrid sound exactly like tube synth; and or any other generic vst, so not sure what the hype or interest is in this synth, seems very basic and generic in its sound.

I still say xpand 2 would be more usefulas fabric xl and hype synth are very limited romplers

That demo doesn't really showcase Hybrid 3's strengths IMHO, which is its sequenced/pattern based presets. Having dual step sequencers puts it in a very unique category, and something MPC/Force doesn't currently have (plugins with their own step sequencers). It also has 3 oscillators (versus Tube Synth's 2 oscillators), and a metric ton of presets (like over 1200 presets). It's possible Tube Synth shares some DNA with Hybrid 3, though. But Hybrid 3's sound design potential makes Tube Synth seem like a Fischer Price entry level toy. Hybrid 3 has a metric ton of built-in effects (like over 40 to choose from!), with 4 submix "parts" that allows you to layer up to 4 effects, plus a master effects slot. I can't stress enough its sound design potential - it's a forgotten gem in Air's catalog. I'd wager that's mostly because the GUI/UX is severely dated and it hasn't been updated in a long time.

I wouldn't mind Xpand 2 either, but I'm sort of "romplered out" at this point with Hype and Fabric.
By jpeg Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:49 am
EnochLight wrote:
That demo doesn't really showcase Hybrid 3's strengths IMHO, which is its sequenced/pattern based presets. Having dual step sequencers puts it in a very unique category, and something MPC/Force doesn't currently have (plugins with their own step sequencers). It also has 3 oscillators (versus Tube Synth's 2 oscillators), and a metric ton of presets (like over 1200 presets). It's possible Tube Synth shares some DNA with Hybrid 3, though. But Hybrid 3's sound design potential makes Tube Synth seem like a Fischer Price entry level toy. Hybrid 3 has a metric ton of built-in effects (like over 40 to choose from!), with 4 submix "parts" that allows you to layer up to 4 effects, plus a master effects slot. I can't stress enough its sound design potential - it's a forgotten gem in Air's catalog. I'd wager that's mostly because the GUI/UX is severely dated and it hasn't been updated in a long time.

I wouldn't mind Xpand 2 either, but I'm sort of "romplered out" at this point with Hype and Fabric.

thing sound design potential is irrelavent if the tone ot the synth dont sound good; this synth sound flat and glassy like every typical vst.
By Ultros Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:00 pm
Vocoder. Whether its in their own unique synth, a clone. They have given us the perfect collection of "punk funk" synths and the vocoder would be the icing on the cake. I rock the hell outta my microkorg but it washes out my vocals. I wish I had something a little purer to really express my funky robot vibe. Been lookin for another keyboard unit to scratch that itch.