MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mikem Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:23 pm
Rank31 wrote:For sound designers what is missed is a wavetable synthetizer and a granular synth.

Absolutely, wavetables are one of the last big missing features. But I think this shouldn't be done as a plugin, rather as new playback mode in the sampler engine. So you can load a wavetable as a sample and just set the playback engine to wavetable or granular mode. Or record a sample, set it to those modes and see what happens. It's kind of already possible to do something similar to wavetables, but with a few tweaks and a dedicated modes this could work really well, without needing extra plugins.

As for synthesis, the only big missing synthesis after that would be physical modeling stuff.

Something other that I'd like to see is the ability to add the individual drum plugins (not the multi, the other ones) in drum programs, either on a pad or maybe even as a single layer on a pad.
By hyena Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:42 pm
full fledged sampler\synth with great mod matrix as Tutor and Renegade Bliss said, the idea of scriptable\modular engine is cool too, i don't see this coming but it'd be awesome if it did... in that case i'd suggest studying the INCREDIBLE engine and UI of the er-301 sound computer by Orthogonal Devices, the COOLEST piece of digital hardware gear i ever used... my wet dream is an mpc like machine with great classic mpc sequencer and pads built around the er-301 sound computer engine (but with improved processor, the one on the 301 is pretty limited sadly). What makes it great is that it has just two very small screens, no touch screen at all, and yet they are perfect for building even very very complex stuff (and i mean VERY complex stuff: like multiple recorders\players reading\writing on the same shared audio buffer, with granular effects on top, all with semi-randomized parameters.... or buchla style complex oscillators with multiple waveshaping techniques applied...) now imagine what can be done with the big a$$ touch screen we have here... the secret there is that the mind behind orthogonal devices designed the most clever user interface ever, with nested modules, basically you can click on every parameter, go inside it and modulate with whatever external or internal signal via routing, or insert another module that modulates it, and then modulate the modulator with something else....inception.... every parameter has a bias (its fader's position) and a gain (the amount of modulation it receives). that's it. but talking about it doesn't render the idea of how clever and great to use it is...

i'd like to see some kind of physical modelling synth, even something simple like Karplus Strong or Waveguide Delay, feedback based instrument. If it was a full fledged one like Native Instruments Prism (based on Reaktor) i'd be super happy.
By EnochLight Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:02 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:But if Akai do want to release more synth plugins, they should come up with some new ideas, innovate.

After seeing what Reason Studios did with Objekt, I'd absolutely get behind a high-quality physical modelling synth in a similar vein as Objekt. Nothing like that in the MPC/Force lineup, and Keygroups would never be able to accomplish that sort of synthesis.

Also feel that a solid wavetable synth is missing. Push 3 has Wavetable, which is a pretty solid. MPC/Force needs one as well (and we absolutely need to be able to load our own samples into it).

Mind you, I'm completely in agreement that Keygroups need more features. But I also think the writing is on the wall.

By Neodymium Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:18 pm
I'd be up for a physical modelling synth. I have chromophone (so I disagree with that advert for object 'that it's finally done right, although it does look pretty damn good) which is a great synth the way you can sculpt a sound and create movement is fantastic.
By dunkeyman Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:46 pm
It might be impossible since I think it requires a beefy computer graphics card but that thing like UVR5 that can remove vocals and create instrumentals from any song would be incredible and would entirely free me of having to use my pc.

Anyone know if an expansion or plugin or something like that would ever be possible? It would need too beefy of a CPU / GPU, right?
By Jeruro Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:23 pm
e-smile-z wrote:Just port air hybrid 3 :worthy:

I like the idea of porting Hybrid 3 and it should be easier than building a new synth. It sounds good and is very usable for a lot of electronic styles.

Someone at AIR/Akai should definitely read this thread.
By B-Wise Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:32 pm
Jeruro wrote:Someone at AIR/Akai should definitely read this thread.

That's the goal, but first lets put all our best synth requests in 1 place instead of randomly all over. That's way I made multiple threads for different parts of the MPC. Let's help them help us by complaining with a directed purpose.