MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:00 pm
fmq75 wrote:Its not sequencer related but i would LOVE to see a traditional mixer like force!!

I‘m not even asking for the force arranger anymore. I have a force since 7 months and the arranger is not as great as it could/should be (although it‘s still better than arranging with numbers only…imo)

Cool but that's a general feature & there's already a thread for that & that feature has already been requested multiple times. Do you have any sequencer related requested?
By fmq75 Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:58 pm
B-Wise wrote:
fmq75 wrote:Its not sequencer related but i would LOVE to see a traditional mixer like force!!

I‘m not even asking for the force arranger anymore. I have a force since 7 months and the arranger is not as great as it could/should be (although it‘s still better than arranging with numbers only…imo)

Cool but that's a general feature & there's already a thread for that & that feature has already been requested multiple times. Do you have any sequencer related requested?

Yes! I want a“select all (notes)“ command in grid view. It‘s beyond me why it‘s on the force but not mpc. It‘s a pita to use the select tool for it cause it‘s too easy to swipe to mars that way. Annoying.
By Ekl1p5e Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:04 pm
in my experience, you either use the x in standalone or the just the software, you can go awhile using controller mode with the software but i dont think its stable enough to trust. thinking about the weird stuff ive seen in standalone, i have to remember that there is probably some caching issues related to the ui and the backend application.
By BeatThat! Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:06 pm
1. Probability on a ratcheted note should affect the likelihood of the whole ratcheted set of events rather than the probability of each individual hit. Or at least this should be a user selectable option. I can't imagine a use case where the current functionality is helpful, and if someone actually wants it this way for some reason they can just do it with note repeat and probability.

2. It should be possible to collapse the piano roll to only show notes within the current pad perform scale. Or some other user defined scale.
By karadetito Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:57 am
I would like to make some suggestions for improving the versatility of the mpc software. I come from the mpc 1000 using JJOS2XL and now i am using the new mpc one +. I find the next sequence modes very limited compared to the JJOS2XL. I would like to have this improvements:

- Possibility to latch sudden mode.

- Sudden quantization. If you could select a TC quantization for sudden mode (or use the general quantization), it could replace next bar (with 1 bar quantization) or use no quantization (as it is right now) or select 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc which would improve jamming on the mpc using next sequence mode.

- Sudden mode. It would be great if you could choose a sudden configuration as you can on the mpc 1000. You could choose "Inmediately start" (it is the current mode in mpc software) or "Inmediately" wich keeps the current bar possition. For instance, if you select this mode and press sudden in bar 3 from a 4 bar sequence to another sequence it would start on bar 3 not from the start. If the destination sequence is shorter (ie 2 bar) it would start at the end of bar 1 (3%2=1)
By Neodymium Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:13 am
As I'm away next week for a fortnight, I thought I'd learn the MPC DAW. Fell at the first hurdle. You can't route the midi out of a VST. I like to use Scaler, Euclidean and Step Sequencers for starting and developing ideas. Won't bother with it in the mean time
By fmq75 Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:10 pm
one more thing i find incredible annoying: i have a ton of expansions and if i want to load a kit and its pattern, it always creates a new sequence only for this one single pattern instead of using the current sequence.

I still hope its just user error
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:19 pm
fmq75 wrote:one more thing i find incredible annoying: i have a ton of expansions and if i want to load a kit and its pattern, it always creates a new sequence only for this one single pattern instead of using the current sequence.

I still hope its just user error

Are you talking about a sequence that's provided as a demo for a particular kit? These are not normally pattern files, they are sequence files (SXQ files). So it will create create a new sequence when loading a complete sequence file. On the MPC Software, loading this SXQ file will also automatically load the associated XPM (this auto load doesn't work in standalone).

The only MIDI files that can be loaded direct to a track in the current sequence are MPC pattern files (mpcpattern). This is why in my expansions these days I tend to use pattern files (or offer both)
By Dave VAder Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:03 pm
I'd love to be able to do a clean shutdown from the front panel of the MPC Key. It's a pain getting round the back to switch it off. The rest of my rig switches off at the wall with no issues but obviously I wouldn't do that with the MPC.
By Ultros Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:04 pm
fmq75 wrote:Yes! I want a“select all (notes)“ command in grid view. It‘s beyond me why it‘s on the force but not mpc. It‘s a pita to use the select tool for it cause it‘s too easy to swipe to mars that way. Annoying.

it already exists lol.. choose the laso.. then tap a pad.. if it doesnt work click the gear icon and select "pad tap select all events". its amazing how many people ask for this and its been there since the start.
By B-Wise Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:40 pm
Dave VAder wrote:I'd love to be able to do a clean shutdown from the front panel of the MPC Key. It's a pain getting round the back to switch it off. The rest of my rig switches off at the wall with no issues but obviously I wouldn't do that with the MPC.

Cool idea, but it's not related to the sequencer. There is a more general feature wishlist thread pinned to the top. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=187870

I suggest you post it there. Thank you.
By B-Wise Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:12 pm
Neodymium wrote:As I'm away next week for a fortnight, I thought I'd learn the MPC DAW. Fell at the first hurdle. You can't route the midi out of a VST. I like to use Scaler, Euclidean and Step Sequencers for starting and developing ideas. Won't bother with it in the mean time

An Euclidean on the MPC/Force would be really dope. I first got into from using the Squarp Pyramid. You can come up with some funky rhythms that you never would've thought of & the funny thing is that if solo some of those tracks they sound awful or very weird but on a beat it's magic sauce. They have it on one of the Force Hacked Mods, so there's hope. I just think enough people ask for it since it's not a common feature.

Here's an test beat I made using the Pyramid as the seq & the MC-707. The Euclidean stuff on the percussion don't happen till about 4m:45s in & then I took the tedious effort to seq all the different Euclidean patterns that sounded ok with the beat to see what works: https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... count=9269
By jamos Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:05 pm
There are large number of improvements that could be made to the sequencer, that are not deep architectural changes. An arranger mode would be nice, and of course "everybody" wants dIsK sTrEaMiNg, but let's leave those aside for the moment. Here are several small changes that would improve the usability of the sequencer, without a huge amount of work.

- when a project is being loaded, or a sample deleted, etc. Please show the name of the object involved. It's too easy to slip and load or delete the wrong thing. Showing the name would help, and of course software has been doing this for a gazillion years.

- in the list editor, please remember the last event type inserted. This way a person can add a series of events, say mutes, without having to scroll to the bottom of that 120 odd item list every single time. It gets old.

- in the grid editor, add a select all notes command. Also, allow the shift key to add or remove events in a selection. Ironically the second feature already exists, but only with an external qwerty keyboard.

- also in the grid editor, change the scroll behavior when nudging. This is a little hard to describe, but here's the problem. If I wish to move all notes in a sequence a few ticks backwards or forwards, first I tediously select them in the usual way; then I scroll and zoom to the beginning of the selection. Then, when I hit nudge and turn the wheel, the scroll position immediately jumps to something near the center of the selection, rather than staying at the beginning of the selection as I want it to. This is means I have to repeatedly scroll to beginning of the selection,

- when acting as a clock master, allow midi clock to run continuously, rather than only between the start and stop events. This is absolutely necessary to synchronize to external devices.

- clean up the junk midi that is sent out at various stages. For example, when the stop button is pressed, a whole lot of all notes off and sustain pedal off messages are sent. And almost off and sustain off messages also sent after every program change, which is absurd. And this is not documented, but apparently when a project is loaded, the initial program, bank, and of course the whole slew of sustain off and all notes off messages are sent for every sequence in the project that has an initial program. This is ridiculous. The program and bank should only be sent for the initisl sequence, bot all of them.

- Automation editing is weak. It should be possible to copy and paste automation events. It would be nice to be able to use the full height of the screen when editing automation; as it stands, vertical accuracy is difficult to achieve. Also nice would be smoothing and filtering functions for automation (filtering to remove the massive amounts of redundant events that are generated when drawing a curve).

- reordering tracks, programs, sequences. Purge unused programs. Etc.

None of these should be difficult to do.
By Wul Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:01 pm
hyena wrote:1)Bring back Time Signature in main page and solve any existing time signature change issues in song mode or wherever.
2)Bring back Step Recording: hit record but don't hit play\play start, play on pads or midi keyboard, the mpc enter notes and autoadvances based on TC, you can enter rests either with jog wheel or some buttons (+ button is a good candidate).
3)Advanced Song Mode: ability to insert sequences (like it is now) but ability to choose not only how many times they loop, but also a loop start and end point which can be different in every step of the song.
4)Next Seq improvements: bring back jjos2xl\mpc 5000 advanced Next Seq options,like quantized sudden, like legato mode (jump from mid sequence to another sequence, the playhead in the new sequence starts were it left on the previous sequence)
5)Better handling of automations in Grid Edit: if i select some notes i must be able to edit automation\parameters (velocity etc...) ONLY for those notes, it seems to me like sometimes it works sometimes not...maybe i'm missing something...

Item 2 is already there in standalone , just go to list view hit record and it advances as per TC setting.
Doesn’t work in the software though.