MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:23 pm
Its hilarious that 20 years ago people were screaming for cleaner audio, now that we've got it, everyone wants to go back to the days of low rent converters and artifacts.
I'd take the S1000 converters over the 60 or 3000 any day. Those things SMACKED (just like you can make the X/Live/One/etc do)

Y'all want them old shitty Digidesign 888's for super crunchy Pro Tools action too?
By Lampdog Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:11 am
Juice aint worth the squeeze.
By Bigrome Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:40 am
[quote="bitermc"]Well... Even if you could replace parts of the hardware, you'd have to reconfigure and recompile the kernel in order to support them.

Also, you can use any compliant USB sound card, so why bother modding?

If you want to be a mod hero, try adding a battery to the One :nod:[/quote

So D/A -A/D or audio interface (if there’s a difference) and a battery mod would be the shiznit I got 9good 18650s I wonder if that’s enough power
By Bigrome Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:46 am
Monotremata wrote:Its hilarious that 20 years ago people were screaming for cleaner audio, now that we've got it, everyone wants to go back to the days of low rent converters and artifacts.
I'd take the S1000 converters over the 60 or 3000 any day. Those things SMACKED (just like you can make the X/Live/One/etc do)

Y'all want them old shitty Digidesign 888's for super crunchy Pro Tools action too?

Im not gonna lie I was using the mpc one as an audio interface and I never liked my mixes and I didn’t even consider it was the mpc one but it was cuz when I hooked up my xenyx mixer the songs I mixed with mpc as audio interface were hollow . On a different note I miss tf out my pro tools my dumb updated my Mac n it was a wrap never been able to downgrade but my pro tools would say digidesign too though it was 8 LE so probably cuz it’s ancient
By Bigrome Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:48 am
ontherun wrote:there isnt even a real DSP, just the SOC and maybe some DA at the end. Get a Behringet UMC Interface.

Ok I’ll peep it out thanks
By Bigrome Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:52 am
bitermc wrote:Well... Even if you could replace parts of the hardware, you'd have to reconfigure and recompile the kernel in order to support them.

Also, you can use any compliant USB sound card, so why bother modding?

If you want to be a mod hero, try adding a battery to the One :nod:

And just for curiousitys sake is reconfiguring and recompiling the kernal a mountain or a mole hill of a task ? Say i gota basic lap top and my solder game strong would the kernal be almost impossible to successfully modify Or is it reachable
By Bigrome Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:03 am
B-Wise wrote:Better sounding compared to what the 3k?
If so watch this MPC-X & 3k sound comparison demo & see if its still even necessary. The 3k vintage mode is more accurate then we would like to believe & even in non-vintage mode the X still sounded as good if not better than the 3k: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=216038

Really I gota check it out
By bitermc Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:06 am
Bigrome wrote:And just for curiousitys sake is reconfiguring and recompiling the kernal a mountain or a mole hill of a task ? Say i gota basic lap top and my solder game strong would the kernal be almost impossible to successfully modify Or is it reachable

Let's say it's an intense and time consuming job. You've got the documentation here

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/index.html

This is for a normal PC. For the MPC Kernel, you have to add at least two difficulty bonuses:

* Find the Kernel source: If Akai/Inmusic have made any modifications of the Linux Kernel, they are enforced to publish them. AFAIK they haven't or the sources not easy to find on their site. If you need to compile from the original sources at kernel.org , you are on your own.

* You need to compile at the MPC itself (install there all the required software), or virtualize a compatible environment... Good luck with that.
By mr_debauch Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 am
Bigrome wrote:
Monotremata wrote:Its hilarious that 20 years ago people were screaming for cleaner audio, now that we've got it, everyone wants to go back to the days of low rent converters and artifacts.

Im not gonna lie I was using the mpc one as an audio interface and I never liked my mixes and I didn’t even consider it was the mpc one but it was cuz when I hooked up my xenyx mixer the songs I mixed with mpc as audio interface were hollow . On a different note I miss tf out my pro tools my dumb updated my Mac n it was a wrap never been able to downgrade but my pro tools would say digidesign too though it was 8 LE so probably cuz it’s ancient

i don't understand why you don't export the stems of your mpc project onto a usb key and mix it in pro tools if that is what you use... that completely bypasses the digital to analog converters of the mpc one entirely.
By richie Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:54 am
Bigrome wrote:Ok I want to open my mpc one and swap sound cards ! Is this some dumb azz retarded shit to do or is it a do-able idea? I would settle for adding better sound chips if there was a data sheet with exact chips or mosfets to switch out with step by step instructions! Again DARS or DAI?

I can switch the "sound card" in the MPC One to one that'll make it sound like an E-mu Emax and have a second switch to switch it into Akai S-950 mode.

I've already done the mod for several people on here, I did 3 different for Lampdog's MPC X, MPC One and the MPC Renaissance

I got a discount setup for people on the forum $4500

Peace
By richie Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:33 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdbv5KKHyE

K Magnetic - I'm sure that you truly have good intentions behind what you're attempting to share here. The problem is that you don't have any technical or coherent understanding of what you are trying to convey here.

Showing that you sampled vinyl through a 4 piece outboard chain into the "Line In" of your Live 2 and stating that the waveform is "fuller" has no technical merit in proving that capacitors swapped in other regions of the PCB make your Live 2 sound "fuller" "thicker" or whatever term you want to use.

Furthermore - By your own words, you tell everyone not to attempt modifying (swapping the capacitors) around the "Line In" and that doing so, will render the Line In non-functional.

So explain this to everyone - Since the Line In would not be touched in any way, how would the capacitors in other areas of the PCB that have no function in A/D or D/A make any difference to how that waveform was recorded?

It simply wouldn't.

To quote you : "i don't need no smart ass comments from assholes tryin' to be all technical and trying to tell me this and that and the third"

It's literally the blind leading the blind here. But okay, you say you're "doing it for hiphop" good job kiddo.
By Ultros Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:15 am
Usb interface... the mpc is a worthless disposable piece of plastic shit. its not worth the time or effort to mod in that capacity. If you want a toney render loop the soundcard outs to ins and recapture it.