MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JRTV Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:10 pm
On my SD Card there’s a “SYNTHS” folder that has the new:
Hype, Solina Mellotron and Odyssey and I WANT TO KEEP those…

But there’s also a whole bunch of expired 10 day free trials that are in that folder too… you know the ones that say PLEASE PURCHASE THIS PLUGIN… blah blah…

So what’s you guys take on leaving all those plugins THAT I’M NOT BUYING in that “SYNTHS” folder?
By wavejockey Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:25 am
do you still need to install that SYNTHS folder separately ?
or is it included in the latest FW upgrade?

(i'lm still on 2.8 but want to upgrade one day soon)
By EnochLight Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:24 pm
JRTV wrote:On my SD Card there’s a “SYNTHS” folder that has the new:
Hype, Solina Mellotron and Odyssey and I WANT TO KEEP those…

But there’s also a whole bunch of expired 10 day free trials that are in that folder too… you know the ones that say PLEASE PURCHASE THIS PLUGIN… blah blah…

So what’s you guys take on leaving all those plugins THAT I’M NOT BUYING in that “SYNTHS” folder?

It's completely fine to delete those folders (and their contents). No need to keep them around at all. If you ever decide to buy any, you'll want to let your MPC download the latest version anyway, and currently the only way to get the latest content is to delete the folder (that is inside of the Synths content folder) to trigger a download. Otherwise, your MPC (or Force) will just use whatever is in that folder.

wavejockey wrote:do you still need to install that SYNTHS folder separately ?

Regardless of firmware, you just need to set the location of your Synth Content in your MPC/Force Preferences under the Activate Plugins menu. Your MPC will create the Synths content folder there and download all assets from the Akai/InMusic servers whenever you buy/activate/trial a plugin. But 2.8 doesn't support many/most of the new plugins, so you'll absolutely need to upgrade. Not sure why you're still on 2.8, as 2.12 is solid and has a ton of improvements that came in 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11...

2.9 added Drum Synth for free. 2.10 was major and added a literal ton of new features and refinements, as well as new (free) effects and plugin instruments, USB audio interface support, etc; and 2.11 added massive workflow improvements like ratcheting and probability, keyboard splits, more new (free!) effects, etc.
By Lampdog Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:14 pm
wavejockey wrote:do you still need to install that SYNTHS folder separately ?

Go ahead and upgrade, you can always go back.
Any music made on newest firmware will have LOTS of issues with older firmware.
Whatever firmware a plugin was introduced at is the firmware (and above) you need in order to use it.