MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By drumrick8 Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:47 am
I currently have my Alternate Mode KAT controller triggering sounds out of my Alesis DM5 and DMPro live, but am replacing my Alesis tone generators with the MPC One, being they are from 1995. I'm used to having 128 times 2, midi notes at my disposal without having to change any banks. I'm learning that the MPC One has 16 notes available times 8 banks, but it seems I can't trigger more than 16 notes without having to change the bank. Is there a way around this? I'm very new to the MPC universe and any help would be appreciated. I do have a couple of songs where I would use over 16 midi notes in one song, hence my problem. Thank you!
By Neodymium Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:44 am
B-Wise wrote:The Akai Force may be better for you since it 64 pads. Did you that check that out?

I don't think he's using the pads on the MPC, but a Drum pad controller. Possibly this?

Is that right Drumrick?

Are you trying to change the banks on the MPC, whilst triggering from the from your pads. I think this may be the confusion. The The bank buttons on the MPC are more like octave select buttons on a keyboard (except it's 16 notes and not 12). The pads relate to the notes on a keyboard, and you can access all the sounds by putting them on one keyboard, except you are using the MPC pads.

So when you press a bank button on the MPC, it's doing nothing to your Drumpads, it's just moving the MPC pads.

If this is right you need to be telling your pads to transpose If you can't do this from the Kat, then transposing by 16 semitones in the track should achieve the same goal.
By drumrick8 Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:27 pm
B-Wise wrote:The Akai Force may be better for you since it 64 pads. Did you that check that out?

I've already purchased the MPC One and I'm not using the pads on it. I'm using my Alternate Mode drumKAT 4.1 Turbo to control it, and other things out of Ableton at the same time. Thank you for the response.
By drumrick8 Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:33 pm
Neodymium wrote:

I don't think he's using the pads on the MPC, but a Drum pad controller. Possibly this?

Is that right Drumrick?

Are you trying to change the banks on the MPC, whilst triggering from the from your pads. I think this may be the confusion. The The bank buttons on the MPC are more like octave select buttons on a keyboard (except it's 16 notes and not 12). The pads relate to the notes on a keyboard, and you can access all the sounds by putting them on one keyboard, except you are using the MPC pads.

So when you press a bank button on the MPC, it's doing nothing to your Drumpads, it's just moving the MPC pads.

If this is right you need to be telling your pads to transpose If you can't do this from the Kat, then transposing by 16 semitones in the track should achieve the same goal.

You guys are great! I've never used a forum and didn't know if I'd get any responses. You are correct, I'm using a controller just like the DK10, but an upgraded version.

It sounds like I have to just assign my sounds in the MPC One to the keyboard, and then assign my pads on my KAT to point to the 128 midi notes on that keyboard. I was thinking I had to assign the notes to the 16 pads on the MPC One, and then point to those 16 pads. That would limit me to 16 notes per bank change. I'm going to try this and see if I can get it. Thank you!
By drumrick8 Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:34 pm
It's been a bit of time and I'm still learning my Akai MPC One and haven’t used it live yet. Here is my current situation.

I've figured out how to have 128 notes at my disposal to trigger from my Alternate Mode KAT Turbo 4.1 drum pads, all assigned to Channel 1 after assigning Track 1 with channel 1.

Now what I’m looking to do is use the MPC One in multi-timbral mode. I have 10 pads on my KAT unit, and I want some to trigger sounds in Track 1, Channel 1, and they are working, but I have others set to trigger Channel 2, that are setup in Track 2. Those are not working when I have Track 1 selected, but they do work with I change the Track to 2. Isn’t it supposed to be able to do that at the same time?

Other notes:
I have Global Preferences Midi/Sync Input Ports setup as all “Global” and “Control” is off
Enable Midi Ports is checked
By stonecoldgroove Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:18 am
Drumrick8 -

I’m a Force & Drummer guy, but I’m pretty sure that MPC Drum Programs work the same as Force Drum Programs

1st thing - the pads on the MPC are there so you can play 16 notes from the front panel.
The remaining 112 notes are still there, divided into Banks which are groups of 16 pads.
You can play notes / sounds in banks even though you don’t see them.
It’s just like a drum rack in Ableton, load the sounds from the drum rack into the same note spaces as the Drum Program, set the same channel , done.

You could set up 1 project with 16 drum programs each on a channel, then switch channels from the Kat and have access to 128x16 (x4 layers) samples…

It can get pretty deep, because you can use velocity layers and get even crazier.

BTW - if you want to use Multitimbral, you may need to disable “Global”
By B-Wise Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:53 am
stonecoldgroove wrote:It can get pretty deep, because you can use velocity layers and get even crazier.

You can also have each pad trigger up to 4 other pads or even it's own pad 4x which is like playing the same pad 5x if you include the first pads that's doing the triggering creating a thick ass sound.

You also can have a program send it's MIDI data to a another program, so that 1 program can play notes from another program at the same time. There's sample offset level for each pad layer as well which can create some funky rhythms.

Each pad layer can be set to the sample in reverse. Don't forget about the Drum FX’s in the program editor. Each pad can use 8 of them before you even get to all the insert FX.

Enjoy yourself :smoker:
By Neodymium Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:32 am
drumrick8 wrote:
Now what I’m looking to do is use the MPC One in multi-timbral mode. I have 10 pads on my KAT unit, and I want some to trigger sounds in Track 1, Channel 1, and they are working, but I have others set to trigger Channel 2, that are setup in Track 2. Those are not working when I have Track 1 selected, but they do work with I change the Track to 2. Isn’t it supposed to be able to do that at the same time?

Does the Kat allow you to assign midi channels per pad, or is it a single midi channel for the all pads at the same time. Unless you can have the pad assigns to independent channels, then the MPC won't know the pads are meant to go t the channels you are assigning them in the MPC.