MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By J.O.BEATS Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:12 pm
Yesterday my OG LIVE prompted me to save and shutdown due to it running out of power, but it was plugged in….. The power light blinks orange when plugged in

Bought a new power supply and it didn’t work either. So now it doesn’t turn on at all.

Anybody had this issue with power and got it repaired?
By 40Beatz Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:29 pm
Whats the rating on your Power Adaptor?
By J.O.BEATS Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:40 pm
Got a 19v one off Amazon that states it’s compatible with mpc line

What’s funny is I just ordered the XTpower bank to use with my live since the battery was done. Just received it today and the Live is not pulling power from it either
By SakisX Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 pm
It looks like the battery is dead .
Hopefully Akai will add to next revision a bypass switch or at least a mode that keeps the battery not fully charged when plugged (many laptops support this mode and helps the battery life)
By Monotremata Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:25 am
Wait so if the battery finally shits on you, your whole MPC is **** or what?

I have a 20 year old G4 PowerBook Titanium whose battery hasn't held a charge since like 2009. I still use that thing all the time on the PSU to boot up Mac OS 9.
By Neodymium Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:44 am
I took my laptop into the service center (still in warranty) yesterday, so it'll be sorted in a week. I'm trying to send my Hydrasynth back to Germany for a screen failure at the moment.

The MPC One not having a battery was a plus for me. But if a battery failure takes the whole unit out of commission, then no way would I ever get a live. All the shipping companies I got quotes from asked me about the hydrasynth 'does it have a battery in it'. Mine's the explorer the only one that takes AAAA batteries, so I was able to put them at ease. So I may not even be able to return an MPC Live.

I miss the old days when laptop batteries could just be unclipped and switched out. At least opening an MPC and swapping an internal battery should be an easy operation.
By J.O.BEATS Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:25 am
:evil: That’s really stupid if once the battery goes there’s no power at all. Can’t imagine that being true….

Anyways, calling around for quotes on fixes and gonna cost me a couple bills just to have it looked at. I’m not trying to buy an mpc with a speaker or a used Live so looks like I’ll be hoping it’s a fairly minor fix and not having to swap out the whole board or some shit.

**** :evil:
By SakisX Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:22 am
Sorry for the misunderstanding, if the battery is dead (not charging, not holding current) , the unit can be powered by the power supply
By "dead" I meant there must be a short-circuit problem most probably on the circuit above the battery rather than the battery cells (rare but still possible)
skip to 1:36

Again I apologise for my poor English
By 40Beatz Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:06 pm
I would imagine...Only if the Battery goes bad by Shorting itself out. That would Lock the MPC out. But most of the time, the Battery Cells just Poop Out. It should NOT Affect Power Adaptor Input
By J.O.BEATS Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:32 pm
SakisX wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding, if the battery is dead (not charging, not holding current) , the unit can be powered by the power supply
By "dead" I meant there must be a short-circuit problem most probably on the circuit above the battery rather than the battery cells (rare but still possible)
skip to 1:36

Again I apologise for my poor English

Yeah, definitely something wrong on the circuit. Wonder if others have had this problem with their OG live. I never did anything weird besides just using the internal battery all the time the past 6 years. Always used the power supply it came with etc. Things happen I guess but it’s weird that the battery has been going dead the past 6 months and then this happened.