MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:30 pm
TT_Lab wrote:The difference is the old people are us now. :lol:

By renegadebliss Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 pm
Is Akai going to step up to this plate?
https://fadr.com/

Separate Songs Into:
Vocals
Bass
Melodies
Drums
Kick
Snare
Hihat
Piano
Electric Guitar
Acoustic Guitar
Strings
Wind
Other Melodies

and a midi file as well.

Of course it's $10 a month rather then $10 total - but you could always use it for a month and upload enough tracks to keep you busy .

It's a bit cost wise, but I already do quite a bit of custom edits and remixes for my DJ sets, so I could definitely see me using it times. Doubtful, I'll keep a full subscription for more than a month or two at a time... but definitely interesting... the real worth will be how well it actually works...
By 40Beatz Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 pm
I Might as well open up the latest version of FL Studio 21 and use their Stem Extraction. But at the same time I want it to be All In The Box
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:51 pm
I suppose Akai are using whatever they were able to get for free, the basic Demucs stuff. Developing something better requires tens of thousands of $ of computation time, lots of good well chosen training material and most importantly someone who knows what they're doing.
By hyena Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:01 pm
TT_Lab wrote:In my young age (late 80's and 90's), older people (nowadays known as boomers) always were saying that real music was only made by live playin "real" instruments (They really were talking about guitars), never clicked with me. Tools don't define artists. Intent and composition (I don't mean composition in a classic musical kind of way, more in a painting or photograph way) capabilities define your work. Pick elements and put them together with an intent, trying to communicate something, some feeling or whatever you want to communicate. So,IMHO new tools only bring new oportunities.
These people were always diminising electronic music (Dance, techno, hip hop etc...) :smh:

sorry, no. i can't be put in the "innovation hater" category. i'm really interested in new techniques. if we go back to my example about WARP techniques, the technology used is Granular Synthesis, which i'm absolutely fond of , when used creatively, while i tend to despise when used as utility because of what i already mentioned. so please, don't distort my views (not you only but i picked your reply as an example).
all i'm saying is that there are creative and boundary pushing uses of new technology, and there are other utilitarian uses that are supposed to make our life as musicians\producers\audio engineers simpler , which they in some sort of way do, but at some costs.

to the one saying that we have proof that mpc stem separation tool is without artifacts, sorry i don't believe it. it cannot be absolutely 100% without artifacts. i listened to tubedigga examples and on some samples those artifacts were evident, same as rip-x and other tools which i tested out of curiosity.
artifacts are not bad per se, in fact back to the WARP analogy, i enjoy using extreme warp timestretching because of the weird artifacts it creates, but if you want to preserve the fullness of sound of a specific sample, it takes away something.
anyway, we'll see. technology evolves, but even after more than 20 years of granular timestretching techniques, we still have bad artifacts on warp depending of course on the algorithm and the source material...

to b-wise: i wasn't implying that i will not be understood, only that many people will not agree with me (which i have absolutely no issues with), the only thing i don't like is being portrayed as a grumpy hater of innovation, which i'm not. please lets not oversimplify other people's opinions. i have my own opinions about the way music technology has evolved in the last 40 years based on my personal experience, that's all.
By renegadebliss Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:10 pm
40Beatz wrote:I Might as well open up the latest version of FL Studio 21 and use their Stem Extraction. But at the same time I want it to be All In The Box

I didn't know that FL Studio does 10 way+ stem separation. I already have plenty of 4 way Stem separation options... I will definitely utilize Akia's when it comes available for as you say "in the box" use, but it only takes me about a min to throw the files that I get from gaudiolab.io or from Demucs-GUI on a card and transfer it. Same amount of time it takes me to load a bowl :) And then my separations are "in the box" as wav files...
By renegadebliss Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:11 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I suppose Akai are using whatever they were able to get for free, the basic Demucs stuff. Developing something better requires tens of thousands of $ of computation time, lots of good well chosen training material and most importantly someone who knows what they're doing.

They can use free versions for more stems:

Use Demucs method with v4 | htdemucs model - it will separated drums, vocal, bass and others. Or you can use v4 | htdemucs_6s for a 6 stem separation (vocal, drums, bass, guitar, piano and other instruments)
By 40Beatz Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm
:roll:
By TT_Lab Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:58 pm
hyena wrote:sorry, no. i can't be put in the "innovation hater" category. i'm really interested in new techniques. if we go back to my example about WARP techniques, the technology used is Granular Synthesis, which i'm absolutely fond of , when used creatively, while i tend to despise when used as utility because of what i already mentioned. so please, don't distort my views (not you only but i picked your reply as an example).
all i'm saying is that there are creative and boundary pushing uses of new technology, and there are other utilitarian uses that are supposed to make our life as musicians\producers\audio engineers simpler , which they in some sort of way do, but at some costs.

to the one saying that we have proof that mpc stem separation tool is without artifacts, sorry i don't believe it. it cannot be absolutely 100% without artifacts. i listened to tubedigga examples and on some samples those artifacts were evident, same as rip-x and other tools which i tested out of curiosity.
artifacts are not bad per se, in fact back to the WARP analogy, i enjoy using extreme warp timestretching because of the weird artifacts it creates, but if you want to preserve the fullness of sound of a specific sample, it takes away something.
anyway, we'll see. technology evolves, but even after more than 20 years of granular timestretching techniques, we still have bad artifacts on warp depending of course on the algorithm and the source material...

I wasn't implying you were an innovation hater. Neither Im saying stems is going to be flawness (I know that part was not for me but anyway...). Heck, even I don't know if I'll use it. Again, tools are tools and artists are artists. As you said, you find creative outputs with warping and granular synthesis, maybe others will find a creative output for stems and its quirks. What I really don't understand is the need to be categoric about a tool. I mean the value that you don't find in it might be there for others. I don't see the point in stablishing lines in art outside of the lines each of us enforce on ourselves. When I was studying architecture at uni, some of our teachers wouldn't let us use computers to do our project presentations, the said it was to easy and soulless, and those teachers were some of the most innovators on their art. Years came by and I have seen the most beutiful architecture project presentations done with computers. Guess I've made my point. Of course, please, don't take this personal, Im not writting from an antagonistic place. This topic is one that really interests me for discussing with peers with similar drive to make something creative.
And... yeah stems....right....sorry for the OT. :-D
By B-Wise Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:44 pm
hyena wrote:artifacts are not bad per se, in fact back to the WARP analogy, i enjoy using extreme warp timestretching because of the weird artifacts it creates, but if you want to preserve the fullness of sound of a specific sample, it takes away something.
anyway

:worthy:
Warp is one of those things works great when intentionally push it past the its comfortable intended limits. It's also cool to use it on a sample while 16 Levels of tuning is on. On the Force you can setup 32 Level if you know what your doing... :smoker:
By hyena Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:18 am
TT_Lab wrote:
hyena wrote:sorry, no. i can't be put in the "innovation hater" category. i'm really interested in new techniques. if we go back to my example about WARP techniques, the technology used is Granular Synthesis, which i'm absolutely fond of , when used creatively, while i tend to despise when used as utility because of what i already mentioned. so please, don't distort my views (not you only but i picked your reply as an example).

I wasn't implying you were an innovation hater. Neither Im saying stems is going to be flawness (I know that part was not for me but anyway...). Heck, even I don't know if I'll use it. Again, tools are tools and artists are artists. As you said, you find creative outputs with warping and granular synthesis, maybe others will find a creative output for stems and its quirks. What I really don't understand is the need to be categoric about a tool. I mean the value that you don't find in it might be there for others. I don't see the point in stablishing lines in art outside of the lines each of us enforce on ourselves. When I was studying architecture at uni, some of our teachers wouldn't let us use computers to do our project presentations, the said it was to easy and soulless, and those teachers were some of the most innovators on their art. Years came by and I have seen the most beutiful architecture project presentations done with computers. Guess I've made my point. Of course, please, don't take this personal, Im not writting from an antagonistic place. This topic is one that really interests me for discussing with peers with similar drive to make something creative.
And... yeah stems....right....sorry for the OT. :-D

yah i get what you say, and no, i dont take it personal :) we are on a public forum and discussion is what we're here for :)
well i think we as humanity have reached a point in our industrial development where some of it is turning on itself to bite us , take smartphones as another example. there are no doubts this technology is useful but at the same time we can not deny the lobotomizing effect it's having on people of all ages. i take the train to commute multiple times a week and it is disheartening to see the vast majority of people scrolling stupid reels on their phone with the dumbest of expressions on their face.... we have to question where we are going i think!
By 40Beatz Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:32 pm
marctronixx wrote:
40Beatz wrote:......March 2025

:lol: