MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By enzyme Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:12 pm
Today, ive noticed my mpc one getting abnormally hot on the touchscreen, in the top left corner where it usually gets warm. It’s doing it just when the mpc is idling with nothing loaded up, but does it faster if I leave a sequence playing (and the sequence is only using 12% cpu).

I’ll email support, but just thought I’d check here if anyone else has noticed it too.

I don’t really strain the mpc, most projects average about 25-30% cpu and from time to time I have noticed it being pretty warm when the cpu is working hard. This is different though, definitely not normal behaviour but I’m not 100% convinced it’s a hardware issue, I’m thinking the last update may have changed something. I had to authorise the new opx4 expansion a couple weeks back too but I can’t see that being the reason.
By Flare Zorg Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:17 pm
I noticed this too. I just got a MPC One. To be fair, though, i had it in the bed at the time, on a soft surface.
I guess it needs to "breathe"? When i picked it up and leaned it almost vertically against the wall, the temp went back down. But it was weird. It got definitely over 40°C, it got as hot as some oldschool receivers/amplifiers get.
I got a bit worried, because it was basically idling at the moment i noticed the temperature, it definitely wasn't computing orbital trajectories.
I made sure to never leave it too long on a soft surface. It didn't become as hot when vertical. I guess the partially see-through side panels aren't radiating heat away from the unit as much as they should.
By enzyme Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:39 am
I’m wondering whether my screen has developed a fault. I feel like I would have noticed before if the screen was always getting that warm. On the other hand it has never worried me before so I’ve never checked how warm it’s getting.
By RandomVibration Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:56 pm
It all boils down to how hot it’s getting. You probably don’t have pyrometer readings or FLIR images to illustrate the change since the firmware update so I doubt Akai is going to have anything useful to say beside getting warm is common and advise you to allow clearance to help dissipate heat.

Warm to the touch or uncomfortably hot? If you haven’t really noticed before, maybe it’s not much different than before.
By Lampdog Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:15 pm
enzyme wrote:MPC One getting pretty hot

RandomVibration wrote:It all boils down to how hot it’s getting.

By enzyme Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:35 am
lol Lamp.

Having upgraded/downgraded a number of times in the last 2 days, I’m convinced that 2.13 is making the mpc one run hotter than usual. That’s not to say my unit doesn’t have a problem, but what made me notice in the first place was the excess heat (which is still there but less so on 2.12.3)
By RandomVibration Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:32 pm
Pretty hot means nothing. It is unactionable information. Get some measurements and come back. Contact Akai with those measurements and see what they say.

My MPC One hasn’t changed before 2.13 or after. What does that mean? Nothing in a real sense, just like the post “pretty hot”.

What are we supposed to do about “pretty hot”?

What if 50 people agreed and said yup, my One is getting pretty hot too. What are you going do with that information? Will it make you feel better?

Get yourself a cheap pyrometer or phone flir kit and measure. Look up “infrared thermometer” on Amazon $28 dollars is the cheapest I found. Roll the firmware back and measure again. Report it to Akai. You’re 50% of the way to getting the mystery solved.

If I had a problem, I’d check it out. $28 isn’t much to have peace of mind.
By enzyme Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:24 pm
RandomVibration wrote:My MPC One hasn’t changed before 2.13 or after.

This is good information.

I’m going under the assumption that the power to the screen has developed a fault. I’ve been running it in night mode today and the screen just gets slightly warm, which is what it used to do in day mode too. Obviously brighter screen = more power = more heat, but it’s only recently been getting so hot.

However I stick to my guns over the firmware, yesterday running 2.13 the screen got hot even in night mode. Hot as in opposed to warm, as in clearly not normal. I don’t know exactly how hot but it’s enough for me to come and post here and risk your criticism :lol:
By enzyme Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:07 am
So support advised that if I’m concerned I should take it to a repair shop.

I’m surprised they don’t do out of warranty repairs.
By Selahl Tapes Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:26 pm
Yes the left side of the screen does heat up since day one, I have had a MPC One, Live and now Key 61 which all get hot. what I did was turn the screen to night mode and the heat is gone!
By enzyme Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:52 pm
Yeah, running in night mode seems to be much better. I guess that’s my new screen setting.

Thanks for the input guys!
By enzyme Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:35 pm
So I still didn’t feel comfortable with how warm the screen is getting. Got an ir thermometer and it’s reading between 39-42C.

After digging around on the forum I found some related posts, but it’s mixed information. One user got a replacement for a unit heating up the same as mine, but there are other topics/posts listing similar temps as normal. Either way, my unit is out of warranty but I’d like to know if this ‘issue’ is actually normal or not.

Has anyone taken measurements? My OCD is getting the better of me :worthy:
By J.O.BEATS Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:55 pm
enzyme wrote:So I still didn’t feel comfortable with how warm the screen is getting. Got an ir thermometer and it’s reading between 39-42C.

After digging around on the forum I found some related posts, but it’s mixed information. One user got a replacement for a unit heating up the same as mine, but there are other topics/posts listing similar temps as normal. Either way, my unit is out of warranty but I’d like to know if this ‘issue’ is actually normal or not.

Has anyone taken measurements? My OCD is getting the better of me :worthy:

I’ve had the Live mk1, one +, and One. They all get hot in that specific part of the screen. You’re more than likely ok.