MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By justaquestion Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:00 pm
Obvously also with a mic preamp. What would be the most natural and best way to avoid feedback? I played a small show the other day and the mic was squealing between songs/in silence but it did not happen with the exact same live project setup at home. I was using a noise gate and a limiter on the first mic input slot. I'd rather not buy a gate guitar pedal, but maybe that is the only solution?

I also noticed that when a high gain fuzz pedal is put betweeen the mic preamp, and the mpc, the q links make a lot of digital scratching noise only when turned very slow, which does not impact the performance, but it can be heard with no playback. Does not happen without no pedals.

Anyway, how would you go about this? I am working with a very high gai fuzz pedal for my vocals that has a clean channel to blend in, reverb/delays etc withing mpc mapped on qlinks... i just need to figure out how to make the microphone shut up when it is supposed to be silent.

Thanks alot!
By jamos Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:32 pm
Interesting. I am about to embark on a similar project.

Feedback is an endless problem for musicians of all types. The main issues you'll find have to do with placement of the speaker relative to the mic, and the various resonances in the room, as well as the nature of your processing. Anything that puts peaks in the spectrum, like EQ with a boost, can be a source of problems. So make sure you're not doing too much of that.

A gate won't help. When the feedback starts, the gate will stay on, so that does nothing at all. The High game fuzz pedal is clearly going to be a problem, because gain is the root of all feedback. It seems to me a limiter would be helpful, but I don't have enough practical knowledge to say for sure.
By jamos Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:40 pm
Correction: I don't think a gate would help, but I'm probably wrong. Some light googling reveals that people do use gates to kill feedback; I need to read more on that. I am trying to use the Air Channel Strip in all my vocal processing, and that has a built-in gate, so maybe I should turn up my speakers and do some painful tests here.

Incidentally, here's a trick you can use to get up to eight effects on your vocal channel. Instead of running your vocal track directly to the outputs, send it to a submix. Then you can put four effects on the track insert, and four effects on the submix. Pretty obvious, but I only figured that out yesterday.
By justaquestion Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:03 pm
Thanks for the replies. Yes I am aware of the submixes and they might come in handy since I am using extreme amount of fuzz mixed with a clean signal. Will report back once I find the perfect solution. I dont see a reason to go for a pedal gate since those plugins are built in with attack, release etc, but it worked 100% to use the gate on my soviet deluxe big muff to kill all feedback