MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ric Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:32 am
MPC Live 2

I need your help badly.
On Song Mode, I have no idea why once I convert to sequence, it starts muting tracks.
It mutes tracks randomly.
Whilst I play on song mode, it sounds right, it is when I convert it, that it starts muting random tracks.
Here are my 2 issues:
1. I have a song that has mutes. I can convert to sequence half of the song and it is proper. But once I add the bridge it mutes some tracks that shouldn't be muted.
2. I have another song that has no mutes whatsoever, yet, once I convert it to sequence it mutes some tracks.
Does anyone know a solution to this issue?
Thank you.
Ricardo
By MPC-Tutor Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:59 am
Song 2 seq is notoriously buggy in relation to mutes, if you open up the sequence in list edit you should see the erroneous track mutes that have been added to the start of any tracks. Same for automation like pad mutes. Here's two older posts about this

viewtopic.php?t=214593&p=1853872

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211387

Clearly not fixable or perhaps not deemed worthy of being fixed.

One way to avoid this bug is to add mutes after converting from song mode, although obviously massively inconvenient if your workflow in the early stages is built around the mute screens (this is one area where the one long sequence workflow is a better option, as it never touches song mode).

You could consider using the erase button (single hit to set an erase range, or hold erase down while the sequence is playing and press the pads you want to erase, it will erase those events as it passes them).

Alternatively get used to fixing the converted sequences in list edit.
By B-Wise Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:41 pm
B-Wise wrote:Make you delete all automations.

Make *sure you delete all automations.
By Ric Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:45 am
You’re absolutely right. I transformed the main sequence into various parts of the song (intro, verse, chorus, etc.) by using the same tracks and programs. However, I recorded Pad Mutes in all these sequences. So, it begs the question... what is the purpose of Pad Mutes if they can't be used, right?

Now, I’m wondering: Do I need to redo all the sequences without Pad Mutes, or is there a way to create a song while still utilizing the Pad Mutes? I considered copying a sequence to the end of another sequence, but unfortunately, I don’t think that function exists.

I guess there is a way to do it like it was mentioned, a huge long sequence.... and that would mean to remake the entire song, and dang, do I regret making so many sequences.

I am new at the whole MPC workflow, so I thank you for your help, your help is greatly appreciated.
By B-Wise Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:56 am
Ric wrote:You’re absolutely right. I transformed the main sequence into various parts of the song (intro, verse, chorus, etc.) by using the same tracks and programs. However, I recorded Pad Mutes in all these sequences. So, it begs the question... what is the purpose of Pad Mutes if they can't be used, right?

Now, I’m wondering: Do I need to redo all the sequences without Pad Mutes, or is there a way to create a song while still utilizing the Pad Mutes? I considered copying a sequence to the end of another sequence, but unfortunately, I don’t think that function exists.

I guess there is a way to do it like it was mentioned, a huge long sequence.... and that would mean to remake the entire song, and dang, do I regret making so many sequences.

I am new at the whole MPC workflow, so I thank you for your help, your help is greatly appreciated.

Since your new, welcome to the club & get ready to make a lot of these type of mistakes. :nod:

How many sequences did you make?

The most I've ever made for 1 beat was 33 4 bar sequences back in 2011. Editing that made me never want to make a beat on the MPC ever again. If you edit something you have to edit all tracks that you want to have those edits which is too tedious on the MPC.
Most users probably only use less than 10. One of main reasons I like clip based sequencers like the RS7000, Pyramid & the Force which is my main device currently. Love everything else about the MPCs... well almost everything.
By Ric Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:36 pm
B-Wise wrote:
Ric wrote:You’re absolutely right. I transformed the main sequence into various parts of the song (intro, verse, chorus, etc.) by using the same tracks and programs. However, I recorded Pad Mutes in all these sequences. So, it begs the question... what is the purpose of Pad Mutes if they can't be used, right?

Since your new, welcome to the club & get ready to make a lot of these type of mistakes. :nod:

How many sequences did you make?

The most I've ever made for 1 beat was 33 4 bar sequences back in 2011. Editing that made me never want to make a beat on the MPC ever again. If you edit something you have to edit all tracks that you want to have those edits which is too tedious on the MPC.
Most users probably only use less than 10. One of main reasons I like clip based sequencers like the RS7000, Pyramid & the Force which is my main device currently. Love everything else about the MPCs... well almost everything.

I made 12 sequences.
Now I know to never use pad mutes to make a song.