MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Acidizer Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:19 pm
Has there been any rumours or can anyone offer some educated guesses? While the X is the flagship I've always regarded MPC Live as the head honcho. I hope the Key versions and other diversions don't hold up a refreshed version of the Live.

MPC Live 2017
MPC Live II 2020
MPC Live III 2024 ?

OS wise is there anything that suggests updated hardware might be on the horizon. I had a MPC Live II retro edition and it looked great but I don't want to buy second hand. I hope for a successor instead of a limited edition.

I'm not sure how well Force is doing but I hope the next MPC Live can integrate the arrangement mode.

As you can see MPC releases are impressively consistent since 1988. I think we are due a new one :mrgreen:

https://reverb.com/news/a-timeline-of-akai-mpcs
By B-Wise Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:19 pm
Acidizer wrote:Has there been any rumours or can anyone offer some educated guesses? While the X is the flagship I've always regarded MPC Live as the head honcho. I hope the Key versions and other diversions don't hold up a refreshed version of the Live.

MPC Live 2017
MPC Live II 2020
MPC Live III 2024 ?

OS wise is there anything that suggests updated hardware might be on the horizon. I had a MPC Live II retro edition and it looked great but I don't want to buy second hand. I hope for a successor instead of a limited edition.

I'm not sure how well Force is doing but I hope the next MPC Live can integrate the arrangement mode.

As you can see MPC releases are impressively consistent since 1988. I think we are due a new one :mrgreen:

https://reverb.com/news/a-timeline-of-akai-mpcs

Nobody here & or the other sites you posted this question knows & if they did they wouldn't tell you just because you asked.

Did you master your current MPC to the point that you need a new model? If not don't worry about it too much. There is also the possibility that they'll make MK3 & you hate it. :shock: :lol:
By djchucknorris Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm
As far as hardware I would expect Akai to milk the key25 for as long as possible. Considering the hold-up's with stems being ready for release and how much focus they've been putting into the build-up of it, I think their main focus is going to be software based for the remainder of this year. By putting resources into expanding the software/plug-in side of things Akai can remarket existing products with additional features to customers who were either on the fence or declined purchasing beforehand due to lack of features. I'd expect to see MPC3 before any actual new incarnations of the Live. If they're able to generate more revenue from existing products while improving the features and functionality before adding it into something new, then that's a huge win for Akai. I'm sure the last thing they want at this point would be another new piece of hardware to have to attach "Stems coming soon" onto. Personally, I'd like to see a bunch more new and relevant plug-in's for the standalone's before seeing new hardware.
By jpeg Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm
nobody seems to be able to clearly articulate what changes would be made to hardware to justify calling it an mk3.

most people seem just to want 4GB RAM but that would be a miniscule change.

the only things i can think of is maybe adding a tilt screen and a data slider
By B-Wise Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 pm
jpeg wrote:nobody seems to be able to clearly articulate what changes would be made to hardware to justify calling it an mk3.

Don't forget about improving the whole audio-interface mess.
By chrisroland Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm
jpeg wrote:nobody seems to be able to clearly articulate what changes would be made to hardware to justify calling it an mk3.

a 2024 CPU that is more powerful than a smartphone, so we can run more than four insert FX without maxing its usage out on a single drum program
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm
I wonder if a 2024 CPU would be powerful enough to fix, say, the multichannel note-off bug. Or the keygroup mod wheel amount resetting to zero on saving/loading a project. Would a 2024 CPU perhaps add a decent amount of velocity layers and round robins to keygroups and drum programs? A modulation matrix? Maybe a 2024 CPU will make it possible to have master automation like on the Force. Maybe a 2024 CPU would make the MIDI grid editor more usable like by adding mouse and cursor support? No. Actual problems are in the software, and they are solved not by changing the CPU but by programming.
By Elijah Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am
In the MPC ecosystem, there aren't many benefits from hardware updates. Basic workflows are available to all users, whether they have new or old hardware.
By BeatWilson Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 am
So I just noticed here in Canada our music store Long and McQuade has the MPCXSE no longer listed. Not that it has anything to do with this but yeah... No MPCX, or SE.
By elstebbano Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:04 am
Bought the Live mk1 very soon after its release. The battery is on the last days and the pads are disconnecting from time to time which I solve by hitting the machine on the back with quite some force lol. I really wouldn’t mind a new product family of mpcs right now^^
By jpeg Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:10 pm
elstebbano wrote:Bought the Live mk1 very soon after its release. The battery is on the last days and the pads are disconnecting from time to time which I solve by hitting the machine on the back with quite some force lol. I really wouldn’t mind a new product family of mpcs right now^^

i also got the mk1 live as soon as it came out; and minus the battery which died years ago it works perfectly
By Acidizer Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm
Elijah wrote:In the MPC ecosystem, there aren't many benefits from hardware updates. Basic workflows are available to all users, whether they have new or old hardware.

The paltry 8 audio tracks should be improved, and maximum 5 minute limits? The awful reverb should be improved too.

MPC is heading more and more towards DAW and synth/plugin type experience. In this case the ancient processor definitely needs upgrading if this is to continue, which seems to be the case.

Never mind the fact hardware refreshes bring new eyeballs and new customers as well as the future proofing.

I believe MPC was all about midi sequencing but that is changing.