MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Elijah Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:20 am
Ill-Green wrote: even the great SP404mk2 has a limited sampling time of 3 minutes

It's actually 16 minutes (185 MB per pad).
By Db909 Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:09 pm
I’m just curious, being new to hardware samplers , but why in the hell would newer samplers have a significantly smaller sample limit than much older machines? Like why are we going backwards?
By jpeg Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:31 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Out of curiosity, what instrument or drum loop do you need to sample that's over 20 minutes long?

people want features for the sake of having it; as they are obsessd with technical specs just for the sake of having the latest tech
By B-Wise Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:46 pm
jpeg wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Out of curiosity, what instrument or drum loop do you need to sample that's over 20 minutes long?

people want features for the sake of having it; as they are obsessd with technical specs just for the sake of having the latest tech

That a may be true for some, but most users that want this feature usually have an actual reason. Also, when you say "people" in the way you did, it means it applies to everyone yourself included. Not all people would agree with your assessment of they want, especially for a device that most people use differently.
By Lampdog Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:57 pm

I feel….

They don’t.
By B-Wise Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:02 pm
jaymack wrote:Most people just need to get a laptop and let mpcs be mpcs

But there are MPCs that doesn't have that time limit & not everyone use the same device the same way.

Even if Akai took away that limit, you wouldn't have use it any differently than you currently do, but for those that need more time like people making modular jams (remember these new MPCs does have CV connections) or whatever the MPC would be able to make it happen without using a laptop, which not everyone wants to use.

I don't get the resistance from users that don't need longer sample time. This is 1 of those "to each its own" kinda things. Maybe instead of getting a laptop, more MPC users should consider the Force for its disk-streaming feature. The biggest difference between the Force/MPC is the sequencer, but the Force can kinda emulate the MPC sequencer: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=217466

As well as Ableton's Arrangement/Session view with a technique I made called the "Clip-Bank Method": viewtopic.php?f=49&t=217467
By renegadebliss Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:19 pm

I think they are saying they want MORE than 5 minutes of sample time.

My friend who's a great drummer, I like to let him Jam and record that jam.

My friend who's a great singer, the song that we're making is 7 minutes long. Of course she can sing it in "parts" or she could just sing and I record.

I'm making an Edit of an old disco track. That disco track is 8 minutes long. I'd like to record from vinyl the entire track, so I can take "sections" from it and make my edit.

I'm making a long ambient track. That Ambient track has a 10 minute speech or vocal underneath. Of course I can split up into multiple parts. And that's what I use now. Or I could just record the vocal as is on the mpc.

@B-Wise point is also something I hit. I have a lot of Analog Equipment. What happens on those equipment is not always reproducible. It would be nice to capture those parts via recording.

Of course all of these I can do on the computer but I usually have the computer off when I'm making music. But I can also do ALL of these on my MPC 4000. So it would be nice to be able to do them on my MPC Live as well.... but just another reason the 4k stays connected in the studio...

I do think somebody said I might be able to use the MPC's Looper? I'll have to give it a try...

but yea, not everybody makes tracks chopping drum loops.. there are multiple ways to use an MPC
By HouseWithoutMouse Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:48 pm
They're saying in this thread that the Sampler can record up to 20 minutes.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful if the MPC was like a DAW. But it really isn't. It doesn't even have audio slice cross-fades, so you can't do smooth punch-ins. It's not designed to be a DAW and the 5 minute clip limit isn't the only place where that shows. Get yourself an actual DAW for that kind of stuff.
By renegadebliss Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:03 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:They're saying in this thread that the Sampler can record up to 20 minutes.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful if the MPC was like a DAW. But it really isn't. It doesn't even have audio slice cross-fades, so you can't do smooth punch-ins. It's not designed to be a DAW and the 5 minute clip limit isn't the only place where that shows. Get yourself an actual DAW for that kind of stuff.

I'll check out the sampler...

I've been using the MPC 4000 since 2005. I don't use a DAW. I incorporate one at times if I have to, but I work 10 hours a day on computer already. I prefer my method of Sequencer (Sequentix P3/Squarp Hapax) and MPC (MPC 4000 & Live) and external synthesizers to handle my music duties. I'll just continue using the methods I'm using now at least until the MPC 4000 dies (though I will check the Sampler/Looper) I don't need punch ins. I hit Play on my MPC - all my sequencers/instruments start playing. The live singer or musician starts to play when their part starts. I record it.
By B-Wise Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:48 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:They're saying in this thread that the Sampler can record up to 20 minutes.

Sometimes 20 minutes ain't enough time either.

renegadebliss wrote:I'll check out the sampler...

I've been using the MPC 4000 since 2005. I don't use a DAW. I incorporate one at times if I have to, but I work 10 hours a day on computer already. I prefer my method of Sequencer (Sequentix P3/Squarp Hapax) and MPC (MPC 4000 & Live) and external synthesizers to handle my music duties. I'll just continue using the methods I'm using now at least until the MPC 4000 dies (though I will check the Sampler/Looper) I don't need punch ins. I hit Play on my MPC - all my sequencers/instruments start playing. The live singer or musician starts to play when their part starts. I record it.

Did you ever consider the Force?
By renegadebliss Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:08 am
B-Wise wrote:

Sometimes 20 minutes ain't enough time either.

renegadebliss wrote:I'll check out the sampler...

Did you ever consider the Force?

Yep! I keep eyeing them as the used priced come down. I've got a couple of bigger purchases on the list lined up before it (UB-XA & Cirklon) But I was just looking at Ultro's post and thinking about checking the Force OS out on my Live II. Then what ever I record would also be immediately available for mpc. But I have a feeling that once I try it, I'm going to want the hardware :)
By B-Wise Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 am
renegadebliss wrote:Yep! I keep eyeing them as the used priced come down. I've got a couple of bigger purchases on the list lined up before it (UB-XA & Cirklon) But I was just looking at Ultro's post and thinking about checking the Force OS out on my Live II. Then what ever I record would also be immediately available for mpc. But I have a feeling that once I try it, I'm going to want the hardware :)

The hacked OS is just 1 part of it. The hardware like the pad 64 pad could never be emulated on the MPC. On the Force has a piano not mode that turns the 64 pads into 4 octave piano. That's just 1 of many examples. The biggest advantage the MPC has over the Force isn't even on the MPC, it's the software DAW. The Force has it's own hacked OS called MockbaMod which gives it all kinds of features;
By jpeg Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:58 am
B-Wise wrote:That a may be true for some, but most users that want this feature usually have an actual reason. Also, when you say "people" in the way you did, it means it applies to everyone yourself included. Not all people would agree with your assessment of they want, especially for a device that most people use differently.

some people are teachnology driven in they approach to production and some are more feature driven; the former focus on tech specs just to have high specs as they think its better, while those who focus on features dont care about the highest specs as long as the features and functions required are present.

I have never had any issue with the performance of the mpc live; I have no intention to run 10 instances of a plugin, so am happy with the processor and ram as is.

I have no need to sample for 20 mins; its seems like a pointless requirement; if u need more then 20 mins just record into ur DAW