MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Acidizer Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 pm
Looks like 1010 Blackbox does recording better while keeping groovebox functionality but with diminished hardware :x

I (would) think MPC should be able to record for as long as you want, why not your phone can do it? Delude can as well I think. Octatrack too? Maschine+ I'm sure.
By B-Wise Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:07 pm
Acidizer wrote:Looks like 1010 Blackbox does recording better while keeping groovebox functionality but with diminished hardware :x

I (would) think MPC should be able to record for as long as you want, why not your phone can do it? Delude can as well I think. Octatrack too? Maschine+ I'm sure.

Even the Force can do it & that's made by Akai. So this limitation is really weird.
By 40Beatz Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 pm
What's the purpose of MPCs recording for an Infinite amount time? I would buy a Handheld Recorder and plug it into the MPC. That would be a waste of Technological Space inside the MPC....In My Opinion.

Thats like wanting Integrated Foot Pedals on the Outer Case of the MPC...Just because. Or Or Or a putting a Record Button on my Saxphone :lol:

MPCs are made for composing music...NOT Field Recording lol
By B-Wise Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:18 pm
40Beatz wrote:What's the purpose of MPCs recording for an Infinite amount time? I would buy a Handheld Recorder and plug it into the MPC. That would be a waste of Technological Space inside the MPC....In My Opinion.

Thats like wanting Integrated Foot Pedals on the Outer Case of the MPC...Just because. Or Or Or a putting a Record Button on my Saxphone :lol:

MPCs are made for composing music...NOT Field Recording lol

It's not an infinite amount of time, you wouldn't have to buy a hand held recorder, it wouldn't take up any extra technological space (whatever that means) & most importantly you wouldn't have to use it if you had no need for it.

Some people compositions/improv's is more than 5 minutes. You would be able to record your whole live set. I like to record a whole LP side A & B while I do something else. Listen to it after & split up the songs & find what I want to keep, causing less wear & tear on the record. You can use it the MPC for all kinds of non-musical stuff like interviews & even field recordings. :wink:

P.S.
A self recording Sax would be dope!
By Acidizer Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:59 pm
Yes exactly. Can you imagine a DAW that limited you to 5 minutes recording? Ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous is to question why anyone would want this 'feature'.
By 40Beatz Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:12 pm
Wait...so the MPC Software doesn't let you record more than 5 minutes of Audio?
By B-Wise Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:46 am
renegadebliss wrote:Correct --. you can do multiple takes and stitch them together... even my MPC 4000 can do more than 5 minutes :)

Even the MPC 1000/2500 can do about 12min stereo & 22m in mono.
Any know the time limit for the MPC 500?
By Elijah Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 am
Acidizer wrote:Even more ridiculous is to question why anyone would want this 'feature'.

Using the sampler allows for a 20-minute recording. That audio track limit is a software limitation and will not change when mk3 is released.
By renegadebliss Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:32 am
Software limitation can be changed immediately.... the Force doesn't have that limitation now. I do believe now that it can record to disk, so it would be fairly quick and easy port if Akai actually wanted this limitation gone on the MPC.
By Ultros Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I wonder if a 2024 CPU would be powerful enough to fix, say, the multichannel note-off bug. Or the keygroup mod wheel amount resetting to zero on saving/loading a project. Would a 2024 CPU perhaps add a decent amount of velocity layers and round robins to keygroups and drum programs? A modulation matrix? Maybe a 2024 CPU will make it possible to have master automation like on the Force. Maybe a 2024 CPU would make the MIDI grid editor more usable like by adding mouse and cursor support? No. Actual problems are in the software, and they are solved not by changing the CPU but by programming.

Granted you're correct about the software bugs, a new platform would indeed make a difference, its a running a rt kernel.. the more bandwidth the better... do you not understand the concept of latency? Stop saying that shit already, you're wrong and anyone who knows anything about computing knows it except you apparently.

Clock speed, bus speed vital to performance. You think the pc daw runs as smooth on an i3 as it does my i7s with two threads per core? doubt it... my work time is drastically reduced and my likelihood of crashing is exponentially reduced by ridiculous amounts of fast ram and processor. The same holds true for any computer.. cellphone.. beat machine.. desktop.

working within limits is fine thats cool you work with the system given and they've done an incredible job of making the software flow well on it, but it could be much quicker in terms of loading projects, rendering etc.. the little crackles and pops in audio would smooth out since that is caused by the cpu bottle necking as it smashes info through it in real time without enough bandwidth. alot of limitations imposed on the mpc are due to its bandwidth and resource limitations.
By Ill-Green Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:58 pm
B-Wise wrote:
renegadebliss wrote:Correct --. you can do multiple takes and stitch them together... even my MPC 4000 can do more than 5 minutes :)

Even the MPC 1000/2500 can do about 12min stereo & 22m in mono.
Any know the time limit for the MPC 500?

MPC500 is the same as the 1000, 5 minutes without RAM, 24 minutes with 16MB RAM, and it sampled as long as you needed but confined to that time limit.

Most of the new hardware samplers have a limit to sampling now, even the great SP404mk2 has a limited sampling time of 3 minutes, where the older SPs could sample up to 6 hours with an SD card. It doesn't bother me though but it was cool to sample in whole albums that couldn't be downloaded when I had the SP606.
By B-Wise Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:45 pm
Ill-Green wrote:MPC500 is the same as the 1000, 5 minutes without RAM, 24 minutes with 16MB RAM, and it sampled as long as you needed but confined to that time limit.

Most of the new hardware samplers have a limit to sampling now, even the great SP404mk2 has a limited sampling time of 3 minutes, where the older SPs could sample up to 6 hours with an SD card. It doesn't bother me though but it was cool to sample in whole albums that couldn't be downloaded when I had the SP606.

Disk-streaming on the Force let's me sample the whole 45 minutes per side from a 90 minute cassette. This way I can be recording something while doing something else.