MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am
It works, so let's give it some visibility by posting the method resulting from my fumbling experiments on that other thread.

Hardware required: a MIDI DIN cable, plugged from MPC's MIDI OUT to same MPC's MIDI IN - a loopback !

For a typical example, set up three tracks as follows:
- Track 01: plugin program suitable for long notes. Set "SEND TO" to Track 02. Record a few long chords in that track.
- Track 02: MIDI program. Set "MIDI OUTPUT" to MPC, channel 1
- Track 03: plugin program suitable for short notes, such as pluck patch. Set "MIDI INPUT" to MPC, channel 1

In Track View, set Track 01 & Track 02 to AUTO. Set Track 03 to MERGE.

Shift+Note Repeat, to latch the arp'. Select pattern, octave range etc.

Press Play... Success: arpeggio follows chords - one of the nice tricks of the Midicake Arp, performed by the MPC !

While it plays, notice that while you can mute the slave arpeggio track (Track 03) while the chords track (Track 01) still plays, the unmuted slave arpeggio track stops producing sound if you mute the chords track: muting the chords track stops its sending notes to the intermediary MIDI program (Track 02) and therefore to the slave arpeggio track. Let's fix this in the next paragraph...

Record the arpeggio track (Track 03) - just normal recording as usual. Now deactivate the arpeggiator, press Play and you can now mute the two tracks (arpeggio track - Track 03, and chords track - Track 01) independently.

I had been wanting to do this ever since I got into MPC last year - I'm happy !

Alas it doesn't work when playing the chords track live, as the arpeggiator applies to all MIDI inputs.