MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Seno24 Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:43 pm
Hi.. I’m a newbie.. I’m a keyboard player in a live cover band, I have never used mpc before, I have a few questions.. would it be effective if I use mpc as my sound module using a controller such as Roland RD or a midi controller keyboard? Does it has all the sounds I need? Like strings, brass, bells, sax, marimbas, harmonica, organs? Right now I have NI Maschine MK3 and someone is offering me to swap with his MPC Live, should I do it? I hope someone can give me a suggestion about this.. thanks in advance
By RandomVibration Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:57 pm
That describes a Roland Integra 7 to a T. I have one and that’s what I use for. The only problem is you can run out polyphony quick. It has 128 notes but some patches can use up more than one note per key. It gets eaten up quickly in a non-linear way.
By B-Wise Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:27 am
Elijah wrote:If his MPC has the Fabric plugin, Studio Strings, etc., try them out before swapping.

Also check out the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDIhu8xmgoQ

Cool video. I thought the Fantom was gonna be the clear winner, but I like the Akai plugins better overall. That brass patch from the Roland was fire tho.

To the OP, the MPC has all the sounds you mentioned, but whether you like them & don't mind editing them with all the tools provided is something your gonna have to figure out own yourself. The Roland may provide a more deeper synth engine. I got the MC707 & that thing can get deep, but MPC may deep enough for needs.
By RandomVibration Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:10 am
I’d be careful. The MPC does not have all these sounds unless you buy additional plugins, expansions, or you have access to a fairly large sample library.

A used sound module is a better sound module than the MPC. I often use the Integra 7 to supplement missing or weak sounds that come with the optional Fabric XL and Studio Strings plugins. Stage EP and Piano seems roughly on par with the Integra 7.

I wouldn’t buy a MPC for that purpose alone. The new Roland RD-08 has almost all the stock Fantom sounds which would cover the optional Fabric sounds plus missing items like woodwinds. The problem will be the same as the Integra 7. Rapid polyphony consumption.
By kaydigi Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:21 am
Since you already gotten good answers above , I’ll ask the other question

Why would someone swap a Live for your Maschine MK3 ? That doesn’t sound like an even swap for the Live user . Is something wrong with the battery etc….

If you don’t take the advice above , Komplete (when it’s on sale) with your Mk3 should cover you with all your sound needs .