MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By richie Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am
Hey everyone,

How's your family doing? How are your kids doing? Tell your mother I said hello.

I'm curious of what algorithm Akai is going to use for stems in stand alone. As we're on an internet forum and all, Maybe some others can chime in here about the processing power of the stand alone units. *@ultros - since you dig around in Akai's OS updates, any insight to share?

Having had a lot of experience going through the rabbit hole of stemming stuff out, doing frequency analysis for many hours on end for weeks, using different and cpu intensive algorithms using the best thing in the world, Ultimate Vocal Remover, had it not been for me having a RTX 3080 GPU to stem out through, even my nice Ryzen 8 core 5800X was taking a while to stem full tracks.

As it stands now, the only way I can think of this working in stand alone mode is if you guys were say, stemming out small loops but it would take quite a long time to handle a full track unless they were using a shi*ttier algorithm or downgrade the quality of the open source algorithm everyone's using, consequently causing far more artifacts.

For all those that have not tried it out yet, download Ultimate Vocal Remover - You can actually mix and match different stemming algorithms to get impressive results. Far better than what these DAW implementations are in my testing.

I've blessed this post, I love you.
By jpeg Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am
Ultros wrote:
jpeg wrote:the mind of the tech focused producer; those old samplers are inferior because they are not 24 bit; in their mindset the higher number is better.

No.. dude.. the concept is rather simple.. you capture at the highest resolution and render to your target rate or decimate to target rate lol. The idea is not to polish a turd. You can't capture frequency where frequency doesnt exist. This isn't snobbery its physics. The reason we use 24bit audio is because it gives us more dynamic range. It's the same conceptually with visual art and you can see the results there but for some reason when it comes to sound people cant wrap their head around the idea. Think of low resolution 8 bit camera verses 32 bit high res camera.. you can always go down in depth you cant go up. The lower the bit depth, the less dynamic range, the less frequency captured. That's not a good place to start with your samples.

Of course we all know this but some people dont care to do this; ie some people record straight to tape; also most people are not using 24 bit in their DAW its mostly 16.

and when u hear the typical track recorded in 16 vs 24 the 24 bit the sifference is so marginal; that its mostly pointless.
By jpeg Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am
B-Wise wrote:
No one was saying it can't sound good except for you. But I guess that's what happens when you don't care what others say. This video was pointless.

again ur incorrect; enoch is claiming the artifacts are unbearaible; but has not pointed to any example in any video demonstrating these horrible artifacts
By jpeg Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am
jaymack wrote:you're. not. going. to. get. through.

there is nothing to get through to; I get exactly what he saying i just dimiss most of it cos the tech focused producer has a paint by numbers approach to music production; so as long as they think everything is correct from a numerical technical perspective they think its good.

i just view music from a content perspective, so if it sounds good its good; regardless of the numbers relating to how it was recorded.
By Ultros Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am
MPC is losing its street cred tho lol. BILLY MAYS HERE WITH THE NEW BITER-BOX!
By EnochLight Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am
B-Wise wrote:
jpeg wrote:

non curated stems demo sounding good

Music starts at 2:00.

No one was saying it can't sound good except for you. But I guess that's what happens when you don't care what others say. This video was pointless.

Lampdog wrote:I'M DYING LAUGHING over here.

Definitely a T-SHIRT quotable!

:nod: :worthy: :nod: :worthy:
By peezo Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am
This talk about artifacts in stems back in the days of sampling the artifacts were pops, clicks, hiss and muffled instruments when doing low end theory. Give it time and watch people gonna be looking for them same stem artifacts when the algorithm for stems becomes cleaner.
By B-Wise Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm
jpeg wrote:
B-Wise wrote:

again ur incorrect; enoch is claiming the artifacts are unbearaible; but has not pointed to any example in any video demonstrating these horrible artifacts

First point out where Enoch said that & even if he did say that, its not the same thing as saying anything you stem will have artifacts, so posting a video where someone showed clean stems is pointless. We all saw the demo's with Andy & Illa J videos & the solo 1 he did, so we know it can sound great with the right music.

You claimed there's no artifacts based on Akai videos, the same company trying sell the damn thing so of course they're gonna cherry pick. But you posted the same video twice saying "No Artifacts" which is not always the case & some of those artifact could be unbearable, but that's subjective.

The only thing that's unbearable (which you misspelled BTW) is your writing & reading comprehension. But you said awhile back that you don't care about grammar, which is cool (I guess) this a music forum, but at least comprehend the points of others & be willing to see things from a perspective other than your own & producers from the 90s.
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm
In a few years there will be (paid) effect plugins which can recreate authentic vintage AI stem separation artifacts. Maybe in MPC 3.0? It will probably require special hardware, because diminishing programmer skills require more resources than before to accomplish the same things.
By jpeg Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm
B-Wise wrote:

The only thing that's unbearable (which you misspelled BTW) is your writing & reading comprehension. But you said awhile back that you don't care about grammar, which is cool (I guess) this a music forum, but at least comprehend the points of others & be willing to see things from a perspective other than your own & producers from the 90s.

grammar policing is pointless in this era where shorthand abbreviations (ie.text speak) is the norm

but I def see others viewpoint; but i just dont subscribe to their views; from what i see it is the tech focused producers who are the least tolerant.

They tend to claim a moral high ground using the numbers as a form superiority or elitism; their mindset is " this is recorded in a higher resolution so this recording is superior" and I just dont see it that way.

The obvious example my jv2080 sounds way better then fabric and fabric xl; but those fabric xl sounds are higher quality samples.

All them old keybaords like the fantom and the motif are all very compact sample ROM sizes compared to these new VSTs; yet the old ones sound way better then the newer higher resolution sound sets of these newer romplers.
By B-Wise Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm
jpeg wrote:
B-Wise wrote:

grammar policing is pointless in this era where shorthand abbreviations (ie.text speak) is the norm

but I def see others viewpoint; but i just dont subscribe to their views; from what i see it is the tech focused producers who are the least tolerant.

They tend to claim a moral high ground using the numbers as a form superiority or elitism; their mindset is " this is recorded in a higher resolution so this recording is superior" and I just dont see it that way.

You give people a point they didn't make, ignore counterpoints that disprove your point & than make pointless arguments to sound superior.

Nobody claimed to be a tech based producer & even if they did, Tutor broke down that even a tech based producer could still be artistic. Everything isn't black or white. Then you put words in Enoch mouth & completely missed his point.

Point out where he said artifacts are unbearable, which is not saying that stems as a whole is unusable. Was it in old Stems thread? It wasn't in this 1. Either way the burden is on you to prove that or your just talking out ya ass.

BTW I pointed out a typo more as a joke & you mentioned abbreviations. Two different things. I even said your poor grammar isn't the issue, but its your lack of comprehension that's problematic.

Anyway I hope you & other post some banger made with stems. You being artists based producer or whatever the hell you was talking about shouldn't have a problem with that right? I hope the Force gets it when the MPC standalone gets it!

Rokgod's post to post Stem-beats: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=217528
By MPC-Tutor Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm
Let's not turn this into another bickering topic, happy to discuss the stems in terms of the sonic qualities of the results, but no need for a handful of users to argue the toss about other stuff with each other.

I spent all last evening with a bunch of 70s records and got mostly middling to poor results. Some of it was due to the MPC simply not splitting the stems particularly well (e.g. unable to pull out the vocal when ripX was able to) but even when it did work (be it in MPC or ripx), sonically I'm generally left cold (which is more a criticism of stem separation tech in general).

Usable to a point, even an artefact filled vocal stem is likely full of worthwhile experimentation, but most extracted drums just sound like crap to me.
By EnochLight Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Let's not turn this into another bickering topic.

I agree, but I do need to address one thing since this dude seems to have no issues attacking people's character:

jpeg wrote:again ur incorrect; enoch is claiming the artifacts are unbearaible; but has not pointed to any example in any video demonstrating these horrible artifacts

This is 100% patently false - I never said anything like that. Not sure if it's a reading comprehension thing or if you just enjoy flat out lying/gas lighting. Please stick to the facts and do not put words into people's mouths - the community will actually respect you. :nod:

MPC-Tutor wrote:I spent all last evening with a bunch of 70s records and got mostly middling to poor results. Some of it was due to the MPC simply not splitting the stems particularly well (e.g. unable to pull out the vocal when ripX was able to) but even when it did work (be it in MPC or ripx), sonically I'm generally left cold (which is more a criticism of stem separation tech in general).

Usable to a point, even an artefact filled vocal stem is likely full of worthwhile experimentation, but most extracted drums just sound like crap to me.

This has been my experience as well, though it was mostly pop/alternative stuff from the 80's and early 90's.