MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B-Wise Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm
My bad about bickering but you can't just lie like that, especially on a respectable member & not get called out. I did end with a link to post beats. I wanna hear the good, the bad & the ugly.
:popcorn:
By jpeg Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm
B-Wise wrote:My bad about bickering but you can't just lie like that, especially on a respectable member & not get called out. I did end with a link to post beats. I wanna hear the good, the bad & the ugly.
:popcorn:

just cos u respect that dude that dont make him respectable; if look up to him, and feel u need to defend his honor dats a you problem.

but to what tutor was saying how busy was the source material? were u taking long samples ie more then 20 seconds
By EnochLight Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm
jpeg wrote:just cos u respect that dude that dont make him respectable; if look up to him, and feel u need to defend his honor dats a you problem.

Still waiting for your apology for spreading false information about me. :nod:
By MPC-Tutor Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm
jpeg wrote:but to what tutor was saying how busy was the source material? were u taking long samples ie more then 20 seconds

8 bar snippets, normalised (seems to be an important step), varying complexity.

More complex the source, the more both apps struggled, but MPC is a fair way behind ripX IMO.

Plus of course ripX has a graphical display where you can remove some of the oddities, while with mpc you get what you get, the end.

In all cases I personally would consider the results of stem separation to be sonically underwhelming, even when good separation was achieved. Obviously lots of possibilities regardless, lots of fun. I'll continue experimenting to see if I can find some stuff that makes me more excited.

I do wonder how much material people are getting through before they find these gems that work so well in their demo videos.
By richie Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:In all cases I personally would consider the results of stem separation to be sonically underwhelming, even when good separation was achieved. Obviously lots of possibilities regardless, lots of fun. I'll continue experimenting to see if I can find some stuff that makes me more excited.

As I mentioned previously, I encourage you to check out Ultimate Vocal Remover man.

They are even at the point where the algorithms are able to separate adlibs from vocals, focus on specific instrument types, remove reverb, it's all very interesting. Certain algorithms can sound underwhelming, one such example how the transients are handled on lazier / older algorithm revisions vs the new stuff.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm
richie wrote:I encourage you to check out Ultimate Vocal Remover man
How does it compare to the other demucs front-ends ? Is there any difference ?
By richie Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm
Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
richie wrote:I encourage you to check out Ultimate Vocal Remover man
How does it compare to the other demucs front-ends ? Is there any difference ?

If you're asking how it compares in relation to user interface, it's simple - load wav file, select the model config settings you want and output. If you're asking about quality of audio output, it varies based on the models you select.

Some models have strengths and weaknesses, so a lot of my experimentation as of recent is in running multiple models, you can select from several different demucs, mdx net, VR models and how you want them used accordingly. Ensemble mode is the most interesting as you can choose multiple models to process at the same time, so say you like mdx net for drums, a specific demucs for bass, VR for vocals, etc, you can do that. You just need to wait longer as it processes (unless you happen to have a decent GPU)

There is also a recent option where you have the option to test out Multi Stem, which provides more than just the typical 4 stems, Vocal, Drums, Bass, Other, there's the htdemucs_6d model which makes a decent attempt at adding piano and guitar too. They don't sound great but it's still something that'll only improve with time.

For those with computers that have recent Nvidia GPU, you can have UVR process the stemming on the GPU which is WAY faster than what even higher end higher core cpus can compute.
Last edited by richie on Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By THXjay Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm
They need to licence the Peter Jackson stem separation he used on The Beatles albums. That was light years ahead of anything else available.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm
richie wrote:you can select from several different demucs, mdx net, VR models
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was much competition between freely available models. I'll research that next time my friend sends me guitar & voice recorded on her phone !
By richie Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm
Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:Thanks, I wasn't aware there was much competition between freely available models. I'll research that next time my friend sends me guitar & voice recorded on her phone !

Funny that you mention that. Check this out:

https://www.aicrowd.com/challenges/soun ... lenge-2023

Actual competition among computer science students, sponsored by Sony, etc with a purse for those that can come up with the best voted algorithm.

And you're welcome man.
By richie Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm
THXjay wrote:They need to licence the Peter Jackson stem separation he used on The Beatles albums. That was light years ahead of anything else available.

Not really Jay, they used the open source models which have been online for the past few years. It's no coincidence that the timeline with how they managed to extract Lennons vocals coincided with the first open source release of demucs and mdx.

You can download the Lennon demo online yourself and run it through any common stem out utility and see for yourself.
By J.O.BEATS Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm
I’ve been using lala.ai for awhile now and I will continue to use it after experimenting with mpc stems.

It’ll be useful once in standalone but once you’ve used a high quality separation tool it’ll be hard to justify using this one. It would have been dope 5 years ago! But now there’s so many better options that will only continue to get better. I doubt Akai will be constantly developing this technology like Lalala.ai and others are.

Anyways, it’s cool they added it and I’ll use it once it’s in standalone
By B-Wise Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:I doubt Akai will be constantly developing this technology like Lalala.ai and others are.

Anyways, it’s cool they added it and I’ll use it once it’s in standalone

What makes you doubt further Akai won't further develop one of the most hyped features they've added?

Will it ever be 1 of best available, maybe not, but I doubt it'll stay at its current level. Hopefully they'll add different quality options. I'm interested in how well the standalone version will be.
By BigDaddyDavee Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm
Haven't read the whole topic but it seems I can save myself the tenner and just sample stems from Serato, if I wanted to.
By djchucknorris Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm
richie wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:In all cases I personally would consider the results of stem separation to be sonically underwhelming, even when good separation was achieved. Obviously lots of possibilities regardless, lots of fun. I'll continue experimenting to see if I can find some stuff that makes me more excited.

As I mentioned previously, I encourage you to check out Ultimate Vocal Remover man.

They are even at the point where the algorithms are able to separate adlibs from vocals, focus on specific instrument types, remove reverb, it's all very interesting. Certain algorithms can sound underwhelming, one such example how the transients are handled on lazier / older algorithm revisions vs the new stuff.

+1 for ultimate vocal remover. I've been using this for months to make stems to chop and use, all while watching everyone on the edge of the seat waiting on Akai the entire time. Pure comedy