MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mf_blues Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 pm
Hi Folks

Just joined the world of MPC and boy is it a great place to be, I first caught sight of these when my bro purchased the MPC X, fascinating piece of gear, anyway that was some time ago and I have now finally got myself the MPC Live 2, I chose this one due to the internal battery and speaker system, great for mobility purposes, I've been having some fun making some beats and songs and just wanted to say hello.

Also, is there some way I can upload a zip file on the forum, I would like to share a keygroup with you folks, it's called CityPianoMPC and is based on the samples from the City Piano VST by Big Cat Instruments, I have asked the creator if I can share the samples and he said 'No Problem' so I would like to upload it for you folks to have a play with.

Anyways, great to be here and hello everyone. :-D

Cheers

Martin
By EnochLight Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:38 pm
mf_blues wrote:Kaydigi, I know about the internal drive, but thanks for the heads up anyway.

On that subject, do not SAVE anything to the internal factory drive either. :nod:

mf_blues wrote:I suppose I could use google drive to share the keygroup?

Cheers

Martin

Use any cloud-based file sharing platform that you want, just as long as you can post a link to it here and it doesn't require users to sign up for free or paid accounts to download it. We hate that. :lol: Also, welcome to the forums!
By mf_blues Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:59 pm
Thanks Enoch

I read all about the internal drive and I leave it well alone.

I have installed a 750gb HD and a 256gb SD Card, all my work currently goes on the SD Card and I've loaded up some samples on the HD, I purchased an 8 CD set called monster samples from databecker years ago and I finally found a use for them. :)
By EnochLight Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm
mf_blues wrote:I have installed a 750gb HD and a 256gb SD Card

For the 750 GB "HD"... Is it an old fashioned mechanical hard drive? Or an SSD? :hmmm:
By EnochLight Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:12 pm
mf_blues wrote:Hi Enoch

Just an old fashion HD, but it loads the samples quick enough, I know an SSD might be better but for my current usage it is quick enough.

Cheers

Martin

Gotcha. I'm sure you'll be fine, but just keep in mind - mechanical hard drives are very susceptible to damage from being jarred or banged around (think: finger drumming). All it takes is a little bang while the drive head is reading or writing, and it can permanently damage sectors on the drive - making those sectors unreadable. While it's not explicitly mentioned, an SSD is a far more reliable/safer choice in environments like the MPC.
By mf_blues Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pm
Enoch

That's an interesting point, I doubt it will be a problem but you never know, I don't currently save my projects to it and I have a backup of the sample files so it's not a major issue but it certainly is worth baring in mind.

Cheers

Martin
By Acidizer Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm
EnochLight wrote:On that subject, do not SAVE anything to the internal factory drive either. :nod:

Why not?

Does this mean it is preferable to save to SSD? Which I'm assuming isn't included?
By EnochLight Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm
Acidizer wrote:
EnochLight wrote:On that subject, do not SAVE anything to the internal factory drive either. :nod:

Why not?

Does this mean it is preferable to save to SSD? Which I'm assuming isn't included?

YES. Absolutely save to your own installed SSD or other attached storage, because the internal factory storage is:

1. Extremely limited in size, and filling it up (especially with samples or projects) will absolutely destroy your MPC/Force performance. It'll become sluggish, and may exhibit other weirdness (the OS does require space for a page file).

2. It is not (easily) accessible in Computer Mode as attached storage, so getting things off of it is tedious. VERY tedious (load it again, save-as again to somewhere else).