MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JRck Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:04 pm
Is anyone able to describe how chopping samples on the MPC Key 61 is? I 'm considering adding one to my collection and was wondering how sampling on it is like and if it's just worth buying a Live 2 or One+ instead. Can the MPC Key 61 work like the ASR10, Triton and other workstation and chop samples directly from the keys and arrange them via the keys instead of the pads?
By circuitslave Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm
I don't think it can be done. I inquired about this in the MPC Key 37 thread when it came out. Something about how the pads and the keys play the same thing and are on the same midi channel? I think it's more than that, but the pads are are able to play what the keys play (sound) but you can't chop and assign them to the keys or chop on the keys. In fact, I believe if you had an MPC and a midi controller keyboard, you can actually have more flexability.
By chrisroland Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 pm
pads are assigned MIDI note values, at the end of the day. are you saying if you had a drum program active on the Keys, it would only produce sounds when the pads were struck? what happens when you press the key with the same corresponding MIDI note value??
By JRck Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:25 pm
chrisroland wrote:pads are assigned MIDI note values, at the end of the day. are you saying if you had a drum program active on the Keys, it would only produce sounds when the pads were struck? what happens when you press the key with the same corresponding MIDI note value??

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had a sample, would I be able to assign each slice to a note on the keyboard?
By Ultros Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:04 pm
with drum programs the pads are notes 34-50 iirc. giving 16 samples spots or chop markers. iirc its 16 max for that then you gotta move to a new pad bank (of samples).
By chrisroland Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:40 pm
Ultros wrote:with drum programs the pads are notes 34-50 iirc. giving 16 samples spots or chop markers. iirc its 16 max for that then you gotta move to a new pad bank (of samples).

individual pads in a drum program can be mapped from C -2 all the way up to C8 (or however many 16 pads x 8 banks get you). it would be weird (to me) if the physical keyboard on a 37/61 disconnected from that mapping when you selected the drum program as already mapped
By Ultros Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:22 pm
chrisroland wrote:
Ultros wrote:with drum programs the pads are notes 34-50 iirc. giving 16 samples spots or chop markers. iirc its 16 max for that then you gotta move to a new pad bank (of samples).

individual pads in a drum program can be mapped from C -2 all the way up to C8 (or however many 16 pads x 8 banks get you). it would be weird (to me) if the physical keyboard on a 37/61 disconnected from that mapping when you selected the drum program as already mapped

oh wow i learned something new! thanks dude.
By Lampdog Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:59 pm
Yeah, there’s no disconnecting keys from pads.
Set ranges instead (track view), chromatic lowest notes for drums, higher for kybd.

128 notes, 128 keys tied to pads. Octave up on key61 to reach the rest of the high notes you see light up on pads.

I have ASR-10, Key61and Kronos2. Chopping is different on each one.
Key61 is easiest.
Kronos2 is deepest, but way bigger learning curve, scares people away.
ASR-10 is the most basic, no automagic nothing, strong sample chopping engine, all manual (friendliest imo because I grew up on asr-10).

Kronos2 easily the strongest of the group AND the most non-approachable chopping (unless you’ve used Tritons for decades).