MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kaiser23 Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:37 pm
I wanna use key 61 in live gigs (because I don't wanna use a Nord electro + a laptop+ a NI Maschine)

Disclaimer 1: I have time to switch "projects" song by song. Time is not a problem

Disclaimer 2 : I don't need 67529 sounds for a gig or complicated layers of 16 sounds for a song. 1 plugin for any song, for 25 song in a complete set.

I found vids with 2 ways to do it:

Solution 1: do a project with 8 plugin, and switch plugin with knob

Solution 2: do a setlist (in setlist mode) and charge every song at the end of the previous one

3 solution (maybe?!?)

I try some stuff and it seems I can change sequences seamlessly with +/- or giant knob.
My workflow is: sequence 1 for song 1, sequence 2 for song 2, etc. Each song have a different plugin (sound).

As simple as that, but I don't know why there's no mention or tutorial of this workflow on the internet.

Thoughts? Feedback? Sound reliable to you?

I read a lot of complaints about changing preset and load time of setlist mode, so don't understand why nobody use the key 61 like the solution 3 mentioned above.

Thanks guys
By mpc_fan_2022 Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:12 pm
kaiser23 wrote:I try some stuff and it seems I can change sequences seamlessly with +/- or giant knob.
My workflow is: sequence 1 for song 1, sequence 2 for song 2, etc. Each song have a different plugin (sound).

If you are using Plugin programs, you simply cannot have sequence 1 with 1 preset and sequence 2 with another preset for the same plugin instance, without manually changing the preset when you go to sequence two.

So as long as you don't use plugin presets extensively, your method is fine.

The Force has scenes, so it is at least possible to change some plugin settings from scene to scene for the same instance, but not the MPC series.

Most workstations don't have this problem. synth "emulations" are completely integrated to the regular patch system with a Fantom-0 for instance, there is no "instance limit" and programs entirely support program changes. Also, workstations usually have a performance mode where the musician can swap configurations without loading another project, not the MPC Key.

Set lists are just shortcuts for project loading.
By kaiser23 Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:53 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:

If you are using Plugin programs, you simply cannot have sequence 1 with 1 preset and sequence 2 with another preset for the same plugin instance, without manually changing the preset when you go to sequence two.

So as long as you don't use plugin presets extensively, your method is fine.

I didn't understand this point.
I try this workflow this morning, and it works.
Every sequence is a song, every song had a track with a plugin, every plugin is different from the previous one.
I change sequences instantly with knob or +/- so what's the limitation?.

At least every sequence could use 8 plugin and there's 128 sequences in every program, so I cannot understand the complaints.

Btw, if track 1 and track 14 have the same plugin (for example "fabric piano") I'm not able to have the same plugin for sequence 1 and 14?
By mpc_fan_2022 Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:57 pm
kaiser23 wrote:I didn't understand this point.
Every sequence is a song, every song had a track with a plugin, every plugin is different from the previous one.

At least every sequence could use 8 plugin and there's 128 sequences in every program, so I cannot understand the complaints.

Btw, if track 1 and track 14 have the same plugin (for example "fabric piano") I'm not able to have the same plugin for sequence 1 and 14?

What if you have 10 tracks? you can't have 10 different plugin programs in the same project.
By kaiser23 Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:17 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:
kaiser23 wrote:I didn't understand this point.

What if you have 10 tracks? you can't have 10 different plugin programs in the same project.

Did you mean that I can use only 8 plugin in 128 sequences?
By RandomVibration Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:07 pm
Fantom, Fantom 0, MODX, Montage, Nautilus, K2700, or most stage pianos are better suited for live performance. While you “can” use a Key 61 for live performance, should you is the question. I love my Key 61 more than any other keyboard I have. That being said, I would pick a stage piano as a live performance device everyday of the week. If I need more synth sounds, I’d pick any synth over a MPC. MPCs are far from instantaneous and setting up a studio set for performance is less flexible and friendly.

My advice besides don’t do it is set up your sounds in a project with Keygroups and plugins. You can resample plugins into keygroups or auto sample other gear into the project and just switch tracks along the way. That way, you’ll only be limited by RAM and CPU, not the 8 plugin limit.
By kaiser23 Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:56 am
RandomVibration wrote:Fantom, Fantom 0, MODX, Montage, Nautilus, K2700, or most stage pianos are better suited for live performance. While you “can” use a Key 61 for live performance, should you is the question. I love my Key 61 more than any other keyboard I have. That being said, I would pick a stage piano as a live performance device everyday of the week. If I need more synth sounds, I’d pick any synth over a MPC. MPCs are far from instantaneous and setting up a studio set for performance is less flexible and friendly.

My advice besides don’t do it is set up your sounds in a project with Keygroups and plugins. You can resample plugins into keygroups or auto sample other gear into the project and just switch tracks along the way. That way, you’ll only be limited by RAM and CPU, not the 8 plugin limit.

Keygroups = ?
Can you give me some tutorial of this workflow?
Not understand at all the limitation, from 8 plugin and Ram/ CPU.
I already use Nord electro+Maschine and a laptop, my thought is to replace all this stuff in a All in one keyboard.

I continue to have doubts about the best practice of manage a live setlist:

Setlist is fine (my load time is max 5sec) but you have to switch song by song.

Other way is to set a full project with 8 plugin (for example for the first half of the set) and change in other project to do the rest of the gig.

Please help a newbie :|
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:02 am
If you don't know what keygroups are, maybe you haven't found the user guide yet?

Is there a particular reason you have to use an MPC? An actual keyboard for keyboard players might be a better choice.

The more stuff you cram in a project, the longer it will take to load, because the MPC wants to load everything completely to RAM. One song per project is at least very straight-forward.

How long does a program change take on a Fantom?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:51 am
kaiser23 wrote:Did you mean that I can use only 8 plugin in 128 sequences?

8 plugin instances in an entire project (in standalone mode). By plugin instance, this means 'plugin program', so if you have the same plugin but with 3 different presets, that's 3 plugin instances (as you'd need 3 unique plugin programs).

No hard limits in controller mode.

Read up on keygroup programs and also on autosampler as this is a way to avoid plugin limits (at the expense of some flexibility and possibly RAM depending on how well you build your keygroups).
By kaiser23 Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:11 pm
Like I said, I already gig with Nord Electro for keys, and laptop+Maschine for pads.

So I wanna try the Key 61 because have everything inside. Pads, laptop and keys.

I'm not consider to change keyboard.

I play in a cover band, we have intro and outro so I have time to switch sounds etc.

I just wanna to do the job with the best practice. I know there are some limits compared to other digital piano or workstation, but are OK for me.

I think I can go song by song with setlist.
When in a song I have multiple sounds, key split or a plugin + some drum samples on the pads, I do a more complex sequence when I can switch seamless sound or bank of pads via key groups.

Sounds good for you?
By B-Wise Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:53 pm
kaiser23 wrote:Like I said, I already gig with Nord Electro for keys, and laptop+Maschine for pads.

So I wanna try the Key 61 because have everything inside. Pads, laptop and keys.

I'm not consider to change keyboard.

I play in a cover band, we have intro and outro so I have time to switch sounds etc.

I just wanna to do the job with the best practice. I know there are some limits compared to other digital piano or workstation, but are OK for me.

I think I can go song by song with setlist.
When in a song I have multiple sounds, key split or a plugin + some drum samples on the pads, I do a more complex sequence when I can switch seamless sound or bank of pads via key groups.

Sounds good for you?

Man, just read up on Keygroups so you can at least know more options for the gear you spent money on.
By kaiser23 Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:11 pm
[/quote="B.wise"] Man, just read up on Keygroups so you can at least know more options for the gear you spent money on [/quote]

Man, I just read the manual but it's 485 pages, and English is not my primary language, and I'm a newbie on MPC software.

Everyone goes to forums to simplify the learning curve or try to ask explanations.

My thread is clear: best way to manage a live gig. Could you please help me in a way ? Can you please write your 2 cents?

How-to-do reply, not "buy a Roland" or something, thanks everyone :worthy:
Last edited by kaiser23 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By B-Wise Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:14 pm
kaiser23 wrote:
Man, just read up on Keygroups so you can at least know more options for the gear you spent money on [/quote]

Man, I just read the manual but it's 485 pages, and English is not my primary language, and I'm a newbie on MPC software.

Everyone goes to forums to simplify the learning curve or try to ask explanations.

My thread is clear: best way to manage a live gig. Could you please help me in a way ? Can you please write your 2 cents?

How-to-do reply, not "buy a Roland" or something, thanks everyone :worthy:[/quote]
They got videos on YouTube on every section of the MPC.