MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By T-Monk Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:45 am
Yeah, unintuitive for sure, but it will come together if you let it sink in.

To navigate screens and modes you can get a lot from Shift + Pad to get different modes.

When you chop a sample, it should automatically be one shot and mono so each sample chokes each other out.

Maybe just spend a bit more time with the workflow. I didn’t work a lot with my MPC1000, but a touchscreen instead of moving around with up, down, left, right buttons (like DOS!) was just too much for me.

Frankly the new MPC are convoluted because they keep old workflows in there. I’m hoping 3.0 starts a new clean slate and better gui.
By Menco Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:22 am
It took me three units and 5 years to really get accustomed to the latest MPC’s. Coming from a 2500 I also find the newer MPC’s less intuitive, a fair trade off for all the extra features that really can enhance and speed up the workflow. Not the biggest fan of the touchscreen either, but having 16 Q-links instead of 4 made a huge difference for me. I had a Live MK1 and a One, wanted to smash it through the wall sometimes. Now I am almost as quick with the X as I was on the 2500. Plus all the onboard FX, instruments and easier sample import I can’t see myself going back to only having the 2500 anymore.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:23 am
Elijah wrote:Maybe you are talking about the MPC Software UI. In Software, the One-Shot option is next to the LFO settings.

I think he might has watched some really old videos as in the early firmware releases sample play settings were in the 'LFO MODULATION' screen in program edit, and envelopes were in the FILTER/ENV page.

But they fixed that all some time ago. Unfortunately the problem with youtube and most (all?) commercial MPC video courses is that they never go back and update any of their existing content whenever there are firmware changes. This is why I update the entire MPC Bible from start to finish with each new release (rather than just bolting on appendums)
By johnnytravels Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:24 am
T-Monk wrote:
Frankly the new MPC are convoluted because they keep old workflows in there. I’m hoping 3.0 starts a new clean slate and better gui.

This.
More precisely, I think, they are convoluted because they are cramming too many features and options in too little space…
I too am hoping for a clean slate in the next iteration and a more streamlined gui.
At the very least, 8 or 16 qlinks should be default on every MPC, and qlinks need to be context-sensitive across the entire OS, not just in a few Air plugins.
Meanwhile I have moved back to Ableton, set up a sample chop centric template, and make beats in 9th Wonder speed, it’s almost become a bit boring to achieve the results I spent considerable more time with on the MPC :lol:
By jpeg Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:14 am
the new MPCs are not counterintuitive; ur questions really means why arent the new MPC's the old MPC's

and the reason is progress; if a person who has nver used mpcs was told to use an old mpc and then a new one they would find the new ones easier to use.

some people dont want to use touch screens and thats fine then get an mpc-x as u can use that without hardly if ever having to use the touch screen.

basically it sounds like the OP has luddite tendancies; thats the real root of his question
By MPC-Tutor Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:42 am
Compared to Elektron gear the MPCs are definitely miles behind in terms of workflow, there doesn't seem to be too much thought put into how they structure things (both in terms of the firmware and the hardware design), more a feeling of just stuffing it full of features wherever they'll fit. You get used to it, but the first time I played with a Digitakt or Syntkat I immediately felt that it had been designed by someone who actually used the gear to make music (just like JJOS is created by someone who clearly understands the MPC brain).

MPCs these days feel like they are built by software programmers, not MPC users.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am
Mendog wrote:Now I am as quick with the X as I was on the 4000. Plus all the onboard FX, instruments and easier sample import I can’t see myself going back to only having the 4000 anymore.
By Lazarillo Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:10 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Elijah wrote:Maybe you are talking about the MPC Software UI. In Software, the One-Shot option is next to the LFO settings.

I think he might has watched some really old videos as in the early firmware releases sample play settings were in the 'LFO MODULATION' screen in program edit, and envelopes were in the FILTER/ENV page.

But they fixed that all some time ago. Unfortunately the problem with youtube and most (all?) commercial MPC video courses is that they never go back and update any of their existing content whenever there are firmware changes. This is why I update the entire MPC Bible from start to finish with each new release (rather than just bolting on appendums)

Ah, that is great to know, thanks. I am indeed using an older machine which hasn’t been updated properly. So good to know they fixed this. I’ve been using MPCs for twenty five years: every single thing I sampled needed a play-mode for the sample; one shot, note off etc. Not once have I used an LFO. So it just made it seem like the machine was made for a different purpose, for modwigglers rather than beat makers. Great to know they wisened up in more recent models. Perhaps I will upgrade and continue my exploration. Not sure if I’ll ever be able to accept pressing “Do It” on a screen rather than a button, though.
By Lazarillo Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:12 pm
B-Wise wrote:
Lazarillo wrote:Not for me. Touching a screen isn’t playing a musical instrument. What a terrible experience. I’ll be staying back at the 1000/2000 era. After that era it’s a shitshow.

But using a data wheel & directional arrows keys & a number keypad is?

It sure is, buddy. Literally the definition of intuitive.
By Lazarillo Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:First, I agree, that every model from the Live/X/One/key range should have required a usage of the touch screen that was kept to a minimum.

I means, that there should have been a way to navigate between screens, parameters within screens (like tab on a computer), select menus, prompts, WITHOUT having to use the touch screen, That's not realistic for note grid edition, obviously, but paging and menu/function access should have not required the touch screen.

My personal pet peeve is really with some functions that should have been directly accessible via the grid mode, but they require to user to go to main, and click on the pen. It simply does not make sense.

However, once you know what is where, it's fairly easy to navigate. But at the end of the day, a touch screen should be here to enhance the user experience in various ways, not a constraint.

Now it is what it is and nothing is going to change that, not even an update.

Word!
By Lazarillo Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:15 pm
bitermc wrote:
TT_Lab wrote:But I am not from Tormes. :lol:

Never expected to read that kind of joke HERE :mrgreen:

This forum is full of surprises...

Right? Anyone else getting the picaresque nature of my tone yet?
By Lazarillo Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:18 pm
djchucknorris wrote:1. Read the manual (as with any piece of gear)

2. Learn to speak Akai

3. Benefit greatly

“Learn to speak Akai”!!!

That’s literally my point, man. I speak Akai. I’ve been speaking Akai since 1994. These new toys speak InMusic, via Neumark. Your ignorance is embarrassing.
By Lazarillo Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:20 pm
Lazarillo wrote:
djchucknorris wrote:1. Read the manual (as with any piece of gear)

2. Learn to speak Akai

3. Benefit greatly

“Learn to speak Akai”!!!

That’s literally my point, man. I speak Akai. I’ve been speaking Akai since 1994. These new toys speak InMusic, via Numark. Your ignorance is embarrassing.