MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jpeg Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:27 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Compared to Elektron gear the MPCs are definitely miles behind in terms of workflow, there doesn't seem to be too much thought put into how they structure things (both in terms of the firmware and the hardware design), more a feeling of just stuffing it full of features wherever they'll fit. You get used to it, but the first time I played with a Digitakt or Syntkat I immediately felt that it had been designed by someone who actually used the gear to make music (just like JJOS is created by someone who clearly understands the MPC brain).

MPCs these days feel like they are built by software programmers, not MPC users.

i had a digitakt and the workflow was much less intuitive then the MPC; I hear the octatrackt or analog rhythm is good but based on the digitakt the workflow I would the elektron is way worse then the MPC's or the 2400 imo.
By eight_trx Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:12 pm
something being "intuitive" is fairly new. back in the day when you dropped a few bands on a device to make music you figured out the vision of the creator and worked along those lines. if you're seeking things that are intuitive, its best to find a proper match rather than imprint your vision on someone elses design. maybe the mpc isnt for you.
By johnnytravels Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm
eight_trx wrote:something being "intuitive" is fairly new. back in the day when you dropped a few bands on a device to make music you figured out the vision of the creator and worked along those lines. if you're seeking things that are intuitive, its best to find a proper match rather than imprint your vision on someone elses design. maybe the mpc isnt for you.

That’s the thing though isn’t it. InMusic’s vision for the new MPCs is “jam it full of stuff, sell downloadable content, call it a day”. The problem is not that these machines have quirks but that the quirks are shifting as the software swells and take over the experience.
By eight_trx Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:50 am
while i do agree, i also think its up to the user. akai is answering to consumers wanting a "dawless daw" when imho, the newer mpcs are more like maxed out mpcs with a touch screen interface. once you start looking at it as a whole package things get messy quick tbh. i definitely am not fond of the direction akai is going with this stuff, i felt rebadging xpand for fabric and the prices for their shit is rediculous.

this is a mini rant but i feel this is kind of what happened to ableton live. the first few versions were a solid audio based performing tool and then they added midi. from that point it seems they just started caving in to community wishlists and imho its become a jumbled piece of software because the developers lost track of the vision. i feel akai is on a similar route soon enough. :Sigh:

johnnytravels wrote: That’s the thing though isn’t it. InMusic’s vision for the new MPCs is “jam it full of stuff, sell downloadable content, call it a day”. The problem is not that these machines have quirks but that the quirks are shifting as the software swells and take over the experience.
By Ill-Green Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:18 am
I transitioned from an MV8800 to the MPC Live and it was a breath of fresh air for me. Everything felt slow and clunky on the MV after owning the Live which was smoother and faster. I have used MPCs before, so it helps getting around the newer models. Just go out and get the sampler thats for you.
By RandomVibration Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 am
The take away I get is what is intuitive to you isn’t necessarily intuitive to others. Use what works for you. I don’t waste my time going to Elektron and Ableton Live forums complaining how inconvenient the workflow is. I just choose not to use it. As for Ableton Live, I use it sparingly and accept that it is what it is and it isn’t going to change for me. Bugs are free game to complain about. If something doesn’t work to my liking but isn’t a bug, I just choose something that does. They make competing products with different work flows for a reason. Not everything is for you. Find the things that are and double down on them.
By B-Wise Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:16 am
RandomVibration wrote:The take away I get is what is intuitive to you isn’t necessarily intuitive to others. Use what works for you. I don’t waste my time going to Elektron and Ableton Live forums complaining how inconvenient the workflow is. I just choose not to use it. As for Ableton Live, I use it sparingly and accept that it is what it is and it isn’t going to change for me. Bugs are free game to complain about. If something doesn’t work to my liking but isn’t a bug, I just choose something that does. They make competing products with different work flows for a reason. Not everything is for you. Find the things that are and double down on them.

Facts!

I just want to add that some things may need more time to get used to because what's intuitive is subjective & if your used to another workflow, a new system which may be better in the long run may seem at first counter-intuitive compared to your old way of working/thinking.

Coming from the MPC 1k/2500 to the RS7k which IMO has a more powerful sequencer, was stressful, but mainly because I was trying to use the RS7k like an MPC. The RS7k wasn't designed to work like that, but that's what makes it great & once I started asking, OK, how did they want us to use this thing?, & adjusting my workflow around it, is when I fell in love with it.

I when into the Force thinking I would hate the touch screen, now I find myself touching the screens on all my other devices they don't have that feature. :Sigh:

Life is funny. :lol:
By B-Wise Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am
Lazarillo wrote:Not for me. Touching a screen isn’t playing a musical instrument. What a terrible experience. I’ll be staying back at the 1000/2000 era. After that era it’s a shitshow.

B-Wise wrote:But using a data wheel & directional arrows keys & a number keypad is?

Lazarillo wrote:It sure is, buddy. Literally the definition of intuitive.

This doesn't make sense. What the difference between touching a screen vs touching a button that serves the same function?

How does a touch-screen make a digital instrument less of a instrument which is the main point I was addressing?
By eight_trx Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:05 am
this is where i feel people miss the point of the touchscreen and plenty other shit with the new gen of mpcs. that touchscreen is extra ontop of a classic workflow. even if it wasnt touch capable, it would be an amazing screen for a mpc.

so the OP says hes going to go for the 1000/2000's which have a fraction of the ram and misc other specs. for shits n giggles lets say you got a 2kxl, and i told you i could mod it so it could take 2gb of ram and hook up a huge screen replacement thats been customized with a modern look for the info thats being displayed. not a touchscreen, just a huge screen. sick right?

my solution for OP is to not touch the screen. then you're pretty much working with the 1000/2000 with max specs and a nice ass display.
By B-Wise Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 pm
eight_trx wrote:this is where i feel people miss the point of the touchscreen and plenty other shit with the new gen of mpcs. that touchscreen is extra ontop of a classic workflow. even if it wasnt touch capable, it would be an amazing screen for a mpc.

so the OP says hes going to go for the 1000/2000's which have a fraction of the ram and misc other specs. for shits n giggles lets say you got a 2kxl, and i told you i could mod it so it could take 2gb of ram and hook up a huge screen replacement thats been customized with a modern look for the info thats being displayed. not a touchscreen, just a huge screen. sick right?

my solution for OP is to not touch the screen. then you're pretty much working with the 1000/2000 with max specs and a nice ass display.

I don't think the OP problem was a lack of RAM or the screen size. Plus there is a bigger screen mod for the 1000. I think it's more of the OP not spending enough time to readjust to the modern tech. The point that most people IMO miss, is even tho the new MPCs has a lot of features you don't have to use them all. Like with paid plugins, if you don't want it you don't have to buy it. The overall layout still could be improved.
By Menco Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:44 pm
JJOS. It's the JJOS.

You can treat the X as a 1000/2500 with a big screen, but it just doesn't feel as streamlined as the JJOS. Especially when you're not using the onboard FX and plugins, they only get in the way. I also agree with what others said, the newer MPC's might not be your thing if you want an intuitive workflow over the extra features.
By mpc_fan_2022 Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm
eight_trx wrote:

It is simply impossible to operate a lot of functions on the new MPC without using the touchscreen. It was design to be use with the touchscreen, it's not something that can be avoided, even on the MPC X.

Ill-Green wrote:I transitioned from an MV8800 to the MPC Live and it was a breath of fresh air for me. Everything felt slow and clunky on the MV after owning the Live which was smoother and faster. I have used MPCs before, so it helps getting around the newer models. Just go out and get the sampler thats for you.

It is true. I have quite a few old Roland grooveboxes.

While the MV does a lot of interesting things when it comes to sequencing, the workflow is simply dated in many aspects when it comes to quickly iterating sequence creation.

It does have superior note event editing and arranging functions compared to the MPC, however, a lot of functions are simply slower to operate.

For instance, the impossibility to go in and out of recording without pressing stop before hand is a problem a lot of older Roland sequencers have. the MPC Live doesn't have that problem, at any point one can press record, get out of recoding mode, even change sequences after that without pressing stop.
By Lampdog Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:21 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:...It was design to be use with the touchscreen, it's not something that can be avoided, even on the MPC X.

+1
By djchucknorris Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:21 am
Lazarillo wrote:
djchucknorris wrote:1. Read the manual (as with any piece of gear)

2. Learn to speak Akai

3. Benefit greatly

“Learn to speak Akai”!!!

That’s literally my point, man. I speak Akai. I’ve been speaking Akai since 1994. These new toys speak InMusic, via Neumark. Your ignorance is embarrassing.

This might be a you issue then my man. I crossed over from a 2500 (2000 before that) after stepping away from it all for several years. Bought a key61 and barely even needed the manual because I found it used the same language for the most part within the OS. When you know the language and what words to look for within the screens, it came pretty easy.
So ignorant of me to understand what I'm doing :lol: