MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jose_ONE Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:25 am
Hello MPC ONE warriors :WTF:

Just ask for midi din interface to connect 2 or 3 old synths that works fine.
1 MIDI in/out
MPC ONE > usb>midi interface—/-2MIDI in/out
\3 MIDI in/out

Witch MIDI interface I have to use??
Iconnectivity???
I have midiexpress128 but doesn’t work

Consolidated options please! :-D
By Neodymium Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm
I'm not following what you are trying to do. The MPC One has a midi output and Input. What are you trying to send midi to and receive from?

If you are just trying to connect to an old synth, then a 5 pin midi cable from the midi out of the MPC to the synths midi in should be all you need. If the synth sends midi, has a keyboard, then a mid cable from the synths midi out to the MPC's midi in will allow the MPC to receive midi.

By Telefunky Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:37 pm
I assume it‘s about 2,3 synths connected as sound modules.
In that case you need a midi thing called through box (single input, multiple outputs).
MPC midi out -> through-box input
each output of the through-box to it‘s respective synth

On the MPC you may choose a dedicated midi channel to separate the synths.
For unison simply use 1 channel.
By Neodymium Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:23 am
Jose, when you reply, state the actual synths involved and the midi ports on the back. If they have 3 ports, one will be a Thru, and you can daisy chain up to 3 (well you could daisy chain 20 if you wanted, but 3 is the max you'd want to chain). Daisy chain is where the Thru port of send the signal onto the next synths inputs. If you have more than 3 synths, then a one in 4 out thru box could be your solution.
By jamos Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am
If you have properly designed synthesizers, they will have Thru ports that will allow you to control all three synthesizers from the One's sole MIDI out. You will still need to repatch to record from the keyboards, but that's not too tricky.
By Telefunky Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:17 pm
The differences of Midi Through (device chaining) versus a dedicated Midi Through Box:

Device chaining adds latency because data is only passed after being inspected.
The first device in the chain is literally flooded with data, picks up it‘s part and passes the rest on, and so will do device 2 and 3.

A Through-Box will present all 3 channels synchronous to all clients and each picks up it‘s part by channel filtering.
(Through Boxes are affordable, simple yet very efficient devices) ;)
By B-Wise Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 am
Telefunky wrote:The differences of Midi Through (device chaining) versus a dedicated Midi Through Box:

The first device in the chain is literally flooded with data, picks up it‘s part and passes the rest on, and so will do device 2 and 3.

A Through-Box will present all 3 channels synchronous to all clients and each picks up it‘s part by channel filtering.
(Through Boxes are affordable, simple yet very efficient devices) ;)

MIDI patch-bays are even more powerful & cheap.
By Rene MPC X Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:51 am
Telefunky wrote:The differences of Midi Through (device chaining) versus a dedicated Midi Through Box:

That is incorrect.
Midi in = midi thru.
If you connect the synths in a daisy chain, the midi input signal goes through an opto-coupler (6N138)
and a buffer (74LS14) directly to the midi thru output without any control.
So there will be no delay of the midi signal and this works just as well as a midi thru box.

Disadvantage of connecting the synths in a daisy chain, is that all connected synths must be on,
even if you only want to use one of them.
With a midi thru box this is not necessary.
By Telefunky Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:02 am
You‘re right... I was in DAW mode software through :Sigh:
(there are synths featuring software through, but usually not „old ones“)
Yet I remember vaguely the use of through chains was frequently discouraged back then and „power on“ was not the reason. :hmmm:
Iirc the 2 inverters 74LS14 delay the signal 2 clock cycles per synth and that adds up... ;)
By jose_ONE Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:03 am
Telefunky wrote:I assume it‘s about 2,3 synths connected as sound modules.
In that case you need a midi thing called through box (single input, multiple outputs).
MPC midi out -> through-box input
each output of the through-box to it‘s respective synth

On the MPC you may choose a dedicated midi channel to separate the synths.
For unison simply use 1 channel.

Thanks for answer

In this option… MPC receive signals auto midi notes that have been writed in MPC by each synth when is played?

I want to try that workflokw.

And which brand of through box recommend to connect my microKORG & Roland JV 1080??
Thanks
By Low3001 Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:36 am
I recommend a Midi Thru Box. You can connect it to the MPC Midi Out port and then plug your external synths there on the midi thru ports.
But I have to mention that I have also connected a midi master keyboard to the MPC by USB, so that I can play all the synths.
As I have 10 external synths, I use the Kento Midi Thru 12.
By Telefunky Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am
If it‘s just about these 2 synths, start as suggested above with just midi cables.
(you need the cables anyway)

Microkorg midi out to MPC midi in
MPC midi out to MicroKorg midi in
Microkorg midi through to JV1080 midi in

That way you can use the Micokorg‘s keyboard to record notes in MPC.
MPC midi playback will first go to the Microkorg and passed on the the JV1080.
(this will be good in 99% of cases, you only need the through-box if something is wrong)
By SuperKonquer Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 pm
https://blokas.io/midihub/

This will do everything you want and more. A bit pricey $189 but not if you were originally look at iconnectivity devices. It's programmable so you can do simple splitting or up to infinite midi fx. Also a problem solver adding some midi functionality a device may lack.
By Neodymium Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 am
I use the Miditech Midi Thru 4 /Filter, there's the Kenton MIDI Thru 5 and Kenton have been at it for years, and there's the MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2 too. I use the Midi solution merge. They will all do what you want, but first I'd see if you need. You are going to have to get the midi cables to connect them, and only having a a couple of synths, just set up as Telefunky suggests. The Synthes have midi thru for a reason, use them first. Also if you have 2 synths near each other a cable running from midi thru can be short. Try to keep cables short.

I run my 4 out midi thru box into 4 synths, and then daisy chain off three of them into 3 more synths (1 per synth), and they have really short cables.